Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Offensive Line Ranks

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

For those of you who love stats (a lot don't). Found an article about offensive line play from last season. Even with our injuries we ranked 13th with success running the ball and 15th with success protecting the passer. Shouldn't come anyone's surprise watching last year and knowing our scheme - was that we were ranked dead last in power plays. Never our strength to line up push the pile but that definitely hurts.

I won't post it here because it becomes a jumbled mess so use the link above for better layout.

We found our best success running off the left end or left tackle ranking 5th and 8th respectively, worst success rate running mid-guard to right tackle ranking 25th and 26th and ranked 6th in the league running off the right end.

So even though we shuffled a lot players in and our because of serious injuries we still managed to get average line play out of our group. With Clady replacing an ineffective Lepsis at LT, Hamilton coming back healthy at LG, a healthy Nalen at C, second year starter Holland and training camp winner in Cuper or Harris at RT I believe that we'll have a much better unit and because to run/protect to a greater degree of success than last year.

Big season awaits!

This just shows what most of us knew already...couldn't run up the middle especially on the goal line. We had to run to the outside. Lets hope we can improve on that this year. It's also one of the reasons I like the Lichtensteiger pick in the draft. many people on these boards don't like the pick. He is the biggest center and still young so can still put on an easy 5 pounds of muscle putting him at 300. He was also considered the best run blocking center in the draft. I am hoping he lives up to it and becomes our starter once nalen retires.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      This just shows what most of us knew already...couldn't run up the middle especially on the goal line. We had to run to the outside. Lets hope we can improve on that this year. It's also one of the reasons I like the Lichtensteiger pick in the draft. many people on these boards don't like the pick. He is the biggest center and still young so can still put on an easy 5 pounds of muscle putting him at 300. He was also considered the best run blocking center in the draft. I am hoping he lives up to it and becomes our starter once nalen retires.
      I love the system we employ because of the success we have running the stretch, but it seems like each year we're great between the 20's and when we get in goal line situations we become predicable, because we can't knock anyone back. We've started bulking up the line with heavier players but hopefully we can still enjoy the same success running the zone.

I didn't hear much about him coming out of college except that he has short arm length but great technique. I didn't pay much attention to this pick because it reminded me of our Greg Eslinger pick who were heralded as the best interior lineman in college after winning the Outland Trophy. Now he's on the Texans practice squad.

I hope he is the real deal and can learn the system but I don't think he'll be taking over for center. Hamilton has been groomed for that spot when Nalen calls it quits and some depth charts around the league show Kory as 2nd string on LG. Obviously it means nothing until after training camp.

Comment

6th in 10+ yard runs and dead last in power running?

Shocking......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
          6th in 10+ yard runs and dead last in power running?

Shocking......
          You love stats!

Comment

Originally posted by Sacklunch View Post
            I love the system we employ because of the success we have running the stretch, but it seems like each year we're great between the 20's and when we get in goal line situations we become predicable, because we can't knock anyone back. We've started bulking up the line with heavier players but hopefully we can still enjoy the same success running the zone.

I didn't hear much about him coming out of college except that he has short arm length but great technique. I didn't pay much attention to this pick because it reminded me of our Greg Eslinger pick who were heralded as the best interior lineman in college after winning the Outland Trophy. Now he's on the Texans practice squad.

I hope he is the real deal and can learn the system but I don't think he'll be taking over for center. Hamilton has been groomed for that spot when Nalen calls it quits and some depth charts around the league show Kory as 2nd string on LG. Obviously it means nothing until after training camp.
            I've read the same thing but I have several reasons to think this won't happen. First he was being groomed because we didn't have anyone else to play Center but we had guards to spare. Second, I'm not counting on Hamilton playing much longer himself. I know he is only 30 and still could play another 6 or 7 years but concussions take a toll on players and he sat a whole year due to them. I don't think he will be able to take the punishment much longer. What do I know though I could be completely wrong about that. Kory may not be the guy to replace nalen but I don't think it will be Hamilton either, not for very long anyway.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
              I've read the same thing but I have several reasons to think this won't happen. First he was being groomed because we didn't have anyone else to play Center but we had guards to spare. Second, I'm not counting on Hamilton playing much longer himself. I know he is only 30 and still could play another 6 or 7 years but concussions take a toll on players and he sat a whole year due to them. I don't think he will be able to take the punishment much longer. What do I know though I could be completely wrong about that. Kory may not be the guy to replace nalen but I don't think it will be Hamilton either, not for very long anyway.
              This is true. I'm assuming he's going to be the same player that he was pre-concussion. I'm hoping that's the case but he's only practiced in shorts and hasn't started the hitting yet. We'll find out in a few weeks how hes doing but Shanahan definitely isn't taking any chances by drafting Kory and signing Weigman for Nalen and bringing in Gandy for Hamtilton with Cuper ready to jump in if necessary.

Comment

13 DEN
                19 PIT
                I told a couple of you homers that Pitt's line was worse than ours.
                :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                sigpic

Comment

I'd like to see a bit more power on the O Line, especially for those short yardage situations.

Comment

Hmm, I think a combination of Daniel Graham and Jay's mobility helped to keep the pass blocking stats down. Also, it doesn't account for the QB hurries or the time the passer actually had in the pocket - we can agree Jay didn't have great protection in that respect.
                    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

We found our best success running off the left end or left tackle ranking 5th and 8th respectively, worst success rate running mid-guard to right tackle ranking 25th and 26th and ranked 6th in the league running off the right end.
                      I'll bet this was because Daniel Graham would line up on the end(s) rather than anything particularly stellar that the tackles or RBs were doing.

Comment

training camp winner in Cuper or Harris at RT
                        I wouldn´t count out Erik Pears from the RT, just because Shanahan said that Kuper is good enough to play both guard and tackle don´t mean kuper will get the spot, he is our new Cooper Carlisle.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
                          Hmm, I think a combination of Daniel Graham and Jay's mobility helped to keep the pass blocking stats down. Also, it doesn't account for the QB hurries or the time the passer actually had in the pocket - we can agree Jay didn't have great protection in that respect.
                          I agree. Although our sack numbers were relatively low I thought the pass protection was HORRIBLE and this statistical analysis doesn't properly reflect it. Jay's mobility and the fact that we roll him out a lot are the reasons for the inflated pass protection ranking IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bjoli198 View Post
                            I wouldn´t count out Erik Pears from the RT, just because Shanahan said that Kuper is good enough to play both guard and tackle don´t mean kuper will get the spot, he is our new Cooper Carlisle.
                            Not counting him out, but e hasn't been lining up at RT in OTA's, he's been backing up Clady at LT. We'll see where he gets reps in Training Camp.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyTony View Post
                              I agree. Although our sack numbers were relatively low I thought the pass protection was HORRIBLE and this statistical analysis doesn't properly reflect it. Jay's mobility and the fact that we roll him out a lot are the reasons for the inflated pass protection ranking IMO.
                              I agree. He had little to no time to throw and had to dump it off or throw short. Thankfully Marshall was able to turn short passes into big gains.

Comment

Working...
                              X