Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why will we be better this year?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why will we be better this year?

    This is the first time in a long time that I'm not even expecting to make the playoffs. I feel we've become the definition of mediocre and have paved the way to continue that. With no stud RB, we'll be fiddling with different backs which has been unsuccessful. The boards will start flaming the Def. Coord. who can only do what the talent allows him. The QB of opposing teams will get all day to throw. TE Graham will drop big passes and get paid big...while we'll have no great TE. One great WR who may not play. And Stokely is getting old.

    I really feel bad for Jay Cutler who has so much talent, but none around him...at least not near as much as Rivers, Manning or, well, pretty much any other QB in the NFL except maybe the Titans. Only we Broncos' fans could look at this team and have hope. I hope I'm wrong!! But, we've had much better rosters and missed the playoffs many times. Herm Edwards may be the only thing keeping us from the bottom. The Chargers have the easiest path to a divisional playoff birth.

    Please, give me reasons I am wrong!! For once, I want to be.
    John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

  • #2
    Tony Scheffler? Brandon Marshall?

    I feel a lot more comfortable with the offense going into this season than in 2007.

    If Marshall gets suspended we've got D-Jack, Colbert, and Royal (who are all capable WRs)

    Last year we would have had Martinez.. and who? Stokley?

    Comment


    • #3
      We will be better because...

      - Cutler will progress as a passer and put up his best stats yet, possibly drawing Pro Bowl buzz.

      - Ryan Clady will have a Joe Thomas or Tony Ugoh type impact as a rookie protecting Cutler's blind side.

      - The defense is much improved thanks to the additions of good players and subtraction of Jim Bates, resulting in a scheme that fits the personnel better.

      That's just a few good reasons among many more possible ones resulting in a better outcome this year.

      Comment


      • #4
        Lots of reasons:

        The maturation of Cutler going into his third year has been historically great for QB's under Mike Shanahan.

        Marshall entering his second full season as the #1 WR.

        Competent receivers to help carry some of the load from Marshall (one will emerge whether it's Colbert or Jackson).

        Offensive line now heatlhy and upgrades at two key positions. Clady replacing and ineffective Lepsis at LT and Cuper/Harris taking over for pears at RT. (LG w/ Hamilton and C w/Nalen coming back healthy).

        If the offensive line improves Graham won't have to stay into help block and become another passing option. Scheffler hopefully healing completely from his foot ailment can stretch the defense and is huge in the redzone.

        Defensive scheme change back to our familiar 8th man in the box on running plays, increase in blitzing and more aggressive defensive front. Addition of Robertson, maturation of Moss, Crowder and Thomas will be huge. Dumervil coming in as PRS should increase his productivity.

        Major upgrades at LB - Williams returning to WLB is an upgrade of Gold, Bailey is an upgrade of Webster at SLB and Niko should be decent to tie it together.

        Safeties is an unknown - Lynch should be in the box on passing downs. Abdullah gets the nod for now to start next to him but we'll see how training camp plays out.

        Selvin Young has beefed up and its his job to loose going into training camp. Pittman is a good 3rd down back, Hall is a good change of pace but the dark horse is Torain. I believe Shanahan is counting on him to get up to speed and contribute this year should injuries occur. Which, if last year is any indication, they will.

        Eddie Royal will contribute immediately in the return game but I believe our special teams will struggle with no established punter of kicker.

        I see upgrades across the board, we should easily be a better team barring major injuries again. Last year was ridiculous.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Max Power View Post
          We will be better because...

          - Cutler will progress as a passer and put up his best stats yet, possibly drawing Pro Bowl buzz.

          - Ryan Clady will have a Joe Thomas or Tony Ugoh type impact as a rookie protecting Cutler's blind side.

          - The defense is much improved thanks to the additions of good players and subtraction of Jim Bates, resulting in a scheme that fits the personnel better.

          That's just a few good reasons among many more possible ones resulting in a better outcome this year.
          what about the defense though? that is what killed us in most of the games.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            So far it's a lot of hope in unproven players. And nothing on D. A new DC doesn't matter b/c we've blamed them every year since Robinson.

            You've helped a bit, but we have no RB IMO. Selvin is a good backup, but until we get a consistent threat we're hurting.

            Thanks for the input!
            John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

            Comment


            • #7
              The consistency is the fact that Shanahan himself could throw on the pads and get rediculous yardage on stretch plays. No need to worry about running, we don't need a stud. Shanny's the stud.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by since1977 View Post
                So far it's a lot of hope in unproven players. And nothing on D. A new DC doesn't matter b/c we've blamed them every year since Robinson.

                You've helped a bit, but we have no RB IMO. Selvin is a good backup, but until we get a consistent threat we're hurting.

                Thanks for the input!
                Does Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns, etc. ring a bell? Please, the last thing you should worry about is Denver not having a "big name" RB.
                XboxLive GamerTag: ShizzleDizzle05 (Accepts all friend requests from fellow Broncos fans)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Shsonline View Post
                  Does Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns, etc. ring a bell? Please, the last thing you should worry about is Denver not having a "big name" RB.


                  you said BELL

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Shsonline View Post
                    Does Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns, etc. ring a bell? Please, the last thing you should worry about is Denver not having a "big name" RB.
                    Yeah but those guys ran behind a much more formitable line......Nalen is an injury concern, and he is getting up there in age. Hamilton has really never done much as a LG. He has been there what half a season, if you remember Dan Niel was our LG for a long time + He is an injury concern. Clady is a rookie, you never know what you are going to get..+ he came from the WAC, that is a big talent jump to the NFL.... Holland was our best olineman last year, but he is a journeyman Kuper is one guy that I really like, but he is still young. I think he is potentially the best lineman we got..... Harris might as well be a rookie, we just dont know what we are going to get. I like him as our RT.... Pears, well I think he is a good sub player, and lets pray no one gets hurt

                    If it were up to me this is how my line would look:

                    LT Clady
                    LG Hamilton
                    C Nalen
                    RG Kuper
                    RT Harris

                    If Hamilton gets hurt...I move Kuper to the left side where I think he remains for the better part of 10 years...
                    If Nalen goes down....We are in a world of hurt....
                    Last edited by japfaff; 07-09-2008, 10:33 PM.
                    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i believe that we'll see an improvement on the D solely from trading for Robertson and from moving DJ back to WILL, even if Niko and Boss are no upgrade over Webster and Gold... throw in the continued development of the youngin's on the D-line and the fact that our lineup of safeties is better (if not spectacular), i feel better and i encourage you to as well
                      further, the D will be better because of a philosophical switch to a style that A) the veterans are more familiar and comfortable with, and B) suit the talents of the players the Broncos have accumulated... matching the scheme to the types of players we've got. the players on the Broncos roster didn't match the jobs Bates wanted them to do.
                      between a moderate improvement on D and the O-line getting healthy... fuggetaboudit!

                      now quit hating on Daniel Graham! dude dropped 3 passes all year and everybody wants to eat his lunch...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                        Yeah but those guys ran behind a much more formitable line......Nalen is an injury concern, and he is getting up there in age. Hamilton has really never done much as a LG. He has been there what half a season, if you remember Dan Niel was our LG for a long time + He is an injury concern. Clady is a rookie, you never know what you are going to get..+ he came from the WAC, that is a big talent jump to the NFL.... Holland was our best olineman last year, but he is a journeyman Kuper is one guy that I really like, but he is still young. I think he is potentially the best lineman we got..... Harris might as well be a rookie, we just dont know what we are going to get. I like him as our RT.... Pears, well I think he is a good sub player, and lets pray no one gets hurt

                        If it were up to me this is how my line would look:

                        LT Clady
                        LG Hamilton
                        C Nalen
                        RG Kuper
                        RT Harris

                        If Hamilton gets hurt...I move Kuper to the left side where I think he remains for the better part of 10 years...
                        If Nalen goes down....We are in a world of hurt....


                        Ben Hamilton has played LG from 2002-06, a total of 84 consecutive contests, before missing the 2007 season due to concussion symptoms that first occurred during training camp. Only concern is if any symptoms occur. He's been solid for 5 seasons.

                        Dan Neil played RG and was released in 2005.

                        Starting OLine is penciled in as such going into Training Camp:

                        LT - Clady
                        LG - Hamtilton
                        C - Nalen
                        RG - Holland
                        RT - Cuper

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The problem is

                          Everyone is always saying that Shanny is a genious when it comes to the running game, and i do not doubt that. We have struggled a bit more recently, and it isnt b/c the postion is worse. The major part of our running game being so successful was Alex Gibbs plain and simple, We were most definatley feeling his loss last year, and i am afraid it will get worse this year. He went to Atlants a horrible team and his first year maybe second, thay lead the leage in rushing. We should have never let him go anywhere.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cairin72432 View Post
                            Everyone is always saying that Shanny is a genious when it comes to the running game, and i do not doubt that. We have struggled a bit more recently, and it isnt b/c the postion is worse. The major part of our running game being so successful was Alex Gibbs plain and simple, We were most definatley feeling his loss last year, and i am afraid it will get worse this year. He went to Atlants a horrible team and his first year maybe second, thay lead the leage in rushing. We should have never let him go anywhere.
                            The loss of Gibbs definitely sucked but he's been gone for awhile now, so it's not like last year was the first one without him.

                            Besides, it was his choice to take a year off and then go only part-time. Even though I didn't want to lose him, it wasn't fair for him to just say "Hey, I want my job back even though Dennison has had the job for a few years now."

                            Our current coaches still know how to coach the system very well and we just need the right players doing it again.
                            "You can't take the sky from me..."
                            ------
                            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                              Yeah but those guys ran behind a much more formitable line......Nalen is an injury concern, and he is getting up there in age. Hamilton has really never done much as a LG. He has been there what half a season, if you remember Dan Niel was our LG for a long time + He is an injury concern. Clady is a rookie, you never know what you are going to get..+ he came from the WAC, that is a big talent jump to the NFL.... Holland was our best olineman last year, but he is a journeyman Kuper is one guy that I really like, but he is still young. I think he is potentially the best lineman we got..... Harris might as well be a rookie, we just dont know what we are going to get. I like him as our RT.... Pears, well I think he is a good sub player, and lets pray no one gets hurt

                              If it were up to me this is how my line would look:

                              LT Clady
                              LG Hamilton
                              C Nalen
                              RG Kuper
                              RT Harris

                              If Hamilton gets hurt...I move Kuper to the left side where I think he remains for the better part of 10 years...
                              If Nalen goes down....We are in a world of hurt....
                              As Sacklunch pointed out, Hamilton has been our LG since 2003. And while not quite as good as Schlereth back in our heyday, he has been good for us overall. And plenty of players come back from concussions so there's no use worrying about future ones unless he exhibits a tendency to get more of them.

                              Nalen certainly doesn't have a large history of injuries but I do agree age is a factor. We'll just have to hope he's got another good year left in him. Then again, it's not like he'll just suddenly not be able to play, it'll be a gradual thing.

                              Clady is a rookie, nothing to be done about that. But early reviews are good. Let's just hope that continues once the pads are on and defensive linemen are trying to hurt Cutler.

                              Holland will likely hold down our RG spot again, and he's solid if unspectacular.

                              Kuper, who you seem to like the most, will most likely win our RT job and now has some experience to go along with some natural talent. Unfortunately, that experience isn't at tackle but I have a hunch he'll adapt pretty quick. If not, at least Cutler will see the defenders coming.


                              So, assuming everyone stays healthy, we'll likely be pretty solid at LT-Clady, LG-Hamilton, C-Nalen, RG-Holland, RT-Kuper.

                              I like that a lot better than the patchwork line we had most of the season.
                              "You can't take the sky from me..."
                              ------
                              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X