Question about the ST return game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the ST return game

I have read in various places in the forum that Eddie Royal is a punt returner, not a kick returner. My question is what are the skills/attributes that might separate someone who returns punts from someone who returns kickoffs? Obviously punts and kicks can and often times are handled by the same person, but why is Eddie Royal supposedly just a punt return man?
    sigpic

Originally posted by sdinner10 View Post
    I have read in various places in the forum that Eddie Royal is a punt returner, not a kick returner. My question is what are the skills/attributes that might separate someone who returns punts from someone who returns kickoffs? Obviously punts and kicks can and often times are handled by the same person, but why is Eddie Royal supposedly just a punt return man?
    Well in college he was both, but a lot more productive on punts. I guess that's why. Don't really know for sure.
    sigpic
    Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by sdinner10 View Post
      I saw an interview of Royal and Clady from the Fan Fair. Someone asked this exact same question. Royal said on KR it's about following the blockers and on PR it's all about the returner making plays.
      sigpic

Comment

PR vs. KOR

If I'm not mistaken (someone please correct me if I am), the NFL kicks off from the -30. As soon as the ball is in play, coverage may start running their lanes. The objective is to keep the return team from advancing the ball beyond the +20. The PK needs to either: kick the ball out of the endzone on a line drive; kick the ball high into the EZ or at the GL; kick it very high so that it comes down on one of the #10s. Directional place-kicking helps the KO team to do jaws coverage. KO team is lined up, sometimes in a stance, at the -30(?). All of these guys are headhunters (LBs, Ss, FBs, TEs & RBs). They are all in the 4.5/40yd. range. If the ball hangs that long, most of them will be at the +30 at least and at top speed when the ball is about to be fielded. The returner is standing still. The return team should have already set up the blocking for the return (left, right or middle). If the ball is at the GL when it is fielded (as it must be-live ball), the returner must be able to accelerate very quickly towards the wall. Return blocks usually have someone to kick out the bullets. Kick coverage is coached not to run around blocks but through them. It is advisable to wear full protective gear in the game pants. Since the returner and coverage are approaching each other, the tacklers must deal w/KOR change of direction and blockers must not hit coverage in the back (unless you're KC at home vs. Broncos and Donte Hall has mesmerized the refs).

PR is different. When the ball is snapped to the Punter only the bullets (ends on the LOS) may leave. Everyone else on P team must stay until the ball is away. Return team can put on a max rush to block or can drop guys ASAP back to block for the return. Most Punters avg. c.40 yds, but because most cover guys can't leave until the ball is in the air, the closing speed is less than on KO/KOR. On a full return effort, I've seen two members of the PR team on each bullet with the other six tagging the OL before hauling ass back to set up the L, M, or R return. Once again, directional punting can help the P team so they can try to pin the returner to the sideline which has never in the history of football failed to make a stop.

So, the distance between the LOS and returner on KO/KOR might be as much as 70 yds while on P/PR it is only about 50 yds. Coverage is coming much faster on KO/KOR. The lane running on KO must be very disciplined in order to control the return. Lane running on P is less regimented (even though it's chalked up the same way) because PR blockers can start off much closer to the coverge than on KOR (10 yds away). PR is often more broken field (and broken tackle) running than KOR which relies on more speed.

Maybe Eddie Royal at 5'10" 184lb. or Jack Williams at 5'9" 186lb. could provide the kind of cutting, broken field running needed for PR, while Anthony Alridge and Samie Parker might be the speed demons needed to close the distance to the coverage and get behind the wall on KOR. P/PR/KO/KOR are much more about running, blocking and tackling than they are about the guy with the ball in his hands or the kicker/punter. Sure, the returner needs vision and reflexes along with instant decision-making to exploit blocks, but if those blocks aren't there in the first place, it ain't happenin'.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I'm no genius but I feel that the main difference is the Punt Returner must rely more on elusiveness and burst, it seems they must always make that first guy miss and then find a seam and burst through it, from watching video on Royal I think he has both of these attributes!

Kick Returners need to follow their blockers and find running lanes, it is more about long term burst than short area quickness, this is why I feel RB's are better suited to play KR, they can get the ball, follow their blockers, find running lanes and turn on the jets, they run more straight ahead than a PR does!

Royal is all but a lock to be our PR!

As far as KR goes I think it is really a 3 man race between Andre Hall, Anthony Alridge, and Marquis Weeks, with the winner likely being our 3rd or 4th RB!

Comment

basically in short

PR: agility/breaking tackles

KR: vision/speed
            disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
              basically in short

That says it all. I always wonder why they did not try B-Marsh as a punt returner. I know he is are #1 WR and there is the chance of injury, but I dont think you get the same banging as you do in kick offs. If you put a guy with his size and tackel breaking skills in more of a one on one he could be scary:2cents:
              Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
                basically in short

I too agree. However, I'd add "guts" to PR. When you catch a punt, you have usually have defenders pretty close and can get laid out 1/10th of a second after catching the ball.

KR are never under stress when they catch the ball...When was the last time you saw a KR have to fair catch?

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  It is advisable to wear full protective gear in the game pants.
                  Truer words were never written! I think I need to add this to my sig line!

Actually, your whole post was very well thought out and thorough, as is the norm for you SP.
                  Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                  FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by broncos0707 View Post
                    That says it all. I always wonder why they did not try B-Marsh as a punt returner. I know he is are #1 WR and there is the chance of injury, but I dont think you get the same banging as you do in kick offs. If you put a guy with his size and tackel breaking skills in more of a one on one he could be scary:2cents:
                    i know thats what i was thinking. they have wes welker PRing for NE so why not marshall, he would be CRAZY as a punt returner. even we don't always use him i would still like to see us put him at PR in certain situations
                    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                      I too agree. However, I'd add "guts" to PR. When you catch a punt, you have usually have defenders pretty close and can get laid out 1/10th of a second after catching the ball.

KR are never under stress when they catch the ball...When was the last time you saw a KR have to fair catch?
                      yeah, but on the flip side then KRs are more likely to take a head on hit while punt returners are probably gonna get tackled by there ankles or running out of bounds since its so hard for a defender to make an accurate big hit in short distances

wow what happened to my sig?
                      Last edited by broncos1997; 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos0707 View Post
                        I would never want to see Marshall returning anything. Best reciever we have period. An injury to him would be greatly detrimental to our offense. Too easy for him to get whacked trying to field a punt.

It takes a special skill to field a punt or a kick off, some of the better WRs in the league probaably wouldnt be great at it.

Finally, Marshall isnt what I would call agile. He is a big strong guy, and doesnt dance around people. Making the first man miss is the most important job for a punt returner.
                        Last edited by draco193; 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM.
                        sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                        SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
                          I would never want to see Marshall returning anything. Best reciever we have period. An injury to him would be greatly detrimental to our offense. Too easy for him to get whacked trying to field a punt.

It takes a special skill to field a punt or a kick off, some of the better WRs in the league probaably wouldnt be great at it.

Finally, Marshall isnt what I would call agile. He is a big strong guy, and doesnt dance around people. Making the first man miss is the most important job for a punt returner.

Plus, look at all these returner candidates who have suddenly appeared: Royal, Alridge, J.Williams, Parker.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            Plus, look at all these returner candidates who have suddenly appeared: Royal, Alridge, J.Williams, Parker.
                            Indeed. No reason to risk him. Ah, and a great post Sam. I think you might just be the most knowledagble poster here when it comes to football.
                            sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post

Not to say he would ever be one, but how many times does the first defender take him down. NEVER He is not a speed guy but who could stop him One on one. He goes crazy after the catch.
                              Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X