X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broncos0707
    replied
    Originally posted by draco193 View Post
    Most punt returners are also the smaller, quicker, more agile types. Steve Smith and Devin Hester both fit this bill. B Marsh is a run you over, throw them off my back guy. I just dont think he would be a great punt returner. He has speed, but, not the burners that Smith, Hester, Dante Hall have(had). I dont know if he has the vision really to see the opening gaps, as he really does seem to prefer to just go into a defender, than around him.
    "he really does seem to prefer to just go into a defender, than around him."
    This is what I truly love about marshall

Leave a comment:

• draco193
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
    actually when your charging down field like that its ALOT harder to make the tackle, so if anything marshall should break even more. when marshall gets tackled by defenders they usually have their balance and can wrap up. on the other hand punt coverage guys are running at full speed and if the returner just sidesteps like half a yard you already see guys missing. how often do PRs go down after the first hit? its really rare.

i don't think anyones suggesting we put marshall their permantantly but hey, guys like steve smith occasionally return when they need him so.....
    Most punt returners are also the smaller, quicker, more agile types. Steve Smith and Devin Hester both fit this bill. B Marsh is a run you over, throw them off my back guy. I just dont think he would be a great punt returner. He has speed, but, not the burners that Smith, Hester, Dante Hall have(had). I dont know if he has the vision really to see the opening gaps, as he really does seem to prefer to just go into a defender, than around him.

Leave a comment:

• broncos1997
    replied
    He is. But, I dont know how well he would do if he didnt get to see a guy about to hit him until a 1/10 second before it happened. The defender has about 40 yards of acceleration on Brandon, and Brandon isnt moving until after hes made the catch. When he breaks a tackle as a reciever, he has seen where the tackler is at and is normally moving forward for a few yards before the hit.
    actually when your charging down field like that its ALOT harder to make the tackle, so if anything marshall should break even more. when marshall gets tackled by defenders they usually have their balance and can wrap up. on the other hand punt coverage guys are running at full speed and if the returner just sidesteps like half a yard you already see guys missing. how often do PRs go down after the first hit? its really rare.

i don't think anyones suggesting we put marshall their permantantly but hey, guys like steve smith occasionally return when they need him so.....

Leave a comment:

• draco193
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos0707 View Post
    Not to say he would ever be one, but how many times does the first defender take him down. NEVER He is not a speed guy but who could stop him One on one. He goes crazy after the catch.
    He is. But, I dont know how well he would do if he didnt get to see a guy about to hit him until a 1/10 second before it happened. The defender has about 40 yards of acceleration on Brandon, and Brandon isnt moving until after hes made the catch. When he breaks a tackle as a reciever, he has seen where the tackler is at and is normally moving forward for a few yards before the hit.

Leave a comment:

• broncos0707
    replied
    I would never want to see Marshall returning anything. Best reciever we have period. An injury to him would be greatly detrimental to our offense. Too easy for him to get whacked trying to field a punt.

It takes a special skill to field a punt or a kick off, some of the better WRs in the league probaably wouldnt be great at it.

Finally, Marshall isnt what I would call agile. He is a big strong guy, and doesnt dance around people. Making the first man miss is the most important job for a punt returner.
    Not to say he would ever be one, but how many times does the first defender take him down. NEVER He is not a speed guy but who could stop him One on one. He goes crazy after the catch.

Leave a comment:

• draco193
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Plus, look at all these returner candidates who have suddenly appeared: Royal, Alridge, J.Williams, Parker.
    Indeed. No reason to risk him. Ah, and a great post Sam. I think you might just be the most knowledagble poster here when it comes to football.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    I would never want to see Marshall returning anything. Best reciever we have period. An injury to him would be greatly detrimental to our offense. Too easy for him to get whacked trying to field a punt.

It takes a special skill to field a punt or a kick off, some of the better WRs in the league probaably wouldnt be great at it.

Finally, Marshall isnt what I would call agile. He is a big strong guy, and doesnt dance around people. Making the first man miss is the most important job for a punt returner.

Plus, look at all these returner candidates who have suddenly appeared: Royal, Alridge, J.Williams, Parker.

Leave a comment:

• draco193
    replied
    That says it all. I always wonder why they did not try B-Marsh as a punt returner. I know he is are #1 WR and there is the chance of injury, but I dont think you get the same banging as you do in kick offs. If you put a guy with his size and tackel breaking skills in more of a one on one he could be scary:2cents:

Last edited by draco193; 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• broncos1997
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
    I too agree. However, I'd add "guts" to PR. When you catch a punt, you have usually have defenders pretty close and can get laid out 1/10th of a second after catching the ball.

KR are never under stress when they catch the ball...When was the last time you saw a KR have to fair catch?
    yeah, but on the flip side then KRs are more likely to take a head on hit while punt returners are probably gonna get tackled by there ankles or running out of bounds since its so hard for a defender to make an accurate big hit in short distances

wow what happened to my sig?
    Last edited by broncos1997; 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• broncos1997
    replied
    That says it all. I always wonder why they did not try B-Marsh as a punt returner. I know he is are #1 WR and there is the chance of injury, but I dont think you get the same banging as you do in kick offs. If you put a guy with his size and tackel breaking skills in more of a one on one he could be scary:2cents:
    i know thats what i was thinking. they have wes welker PRing for NE so why not marshall, he would be CRAZY as a punt returner. even we don't always use him i would still like to see us put him at PR in certain situations

Leave a comment:

• Flatlander Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    It is advisable to wear full protective gear in the game pants.
    Truer words were never written! I think I need to add this to my sig line!

Actually, your whole post was very well thought out and thorough, as is the norm for you SP.

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    basically in short

PR: agility/breaking tackles

KR: vision/speed
    I too agree. However, I'd add "guts" to PR. When you catch a punt, you have usually have defenders pretty close and can get laid out 1/10th of a second after catching the ball.

KR are never under stress when they catch the ball...When was the last time you saw a KR have to fair catch?

Leave a comment:

• broncos0707
    replied
    basically in short

Leave a comment:

• broncos1997
    replied
    basically in short

Leave a comment:

• KWHIT97
    replied
    I'm no genius but I feel that the main difference is the Punt Returner must rely more on elusiveness and burst, it seems they must always make that first guy miss and then find a seam and burst through it, from watching video on Royal I think he has both of these attributes!

Kick Returners need to follow their blockers and find running lanes, it is more about long term burst than short area quickness, this is why I feel RB's are better suited to play KR, they can get the ball, follow their blockers, find running lanes and turn on the jets, they run more straight ahead than a PR does!

Royal is all but a lock to be our PR!

As far as KR goes I think it is really a 3 man race between Andre Hall, Anthony Alridge, and Marquis Weeks, with the winner likely being our 3rd or 4th RB!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X