Uniform #30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
    This conversation was officially ended a few years ago after TD retired and the Broncos organization said that there was only going to be one number retired, and that was number 7.

Number 30 is not going to be retired for TD. Not going to happen.

who said that? not exactly the smartest thing to say...the broncos could have a player much better than elway someday, not likely, but possible

Comment

and they don't need to retire any numbers, the ring of fame is up there for a reason.

Comment

I agree!

Originally posted by dendave View Post
        I have never understood the retirement of numbers...I won't get into an argument about it, but if they have issued #1 already, it seems the Bronco front office doesn't think much about retiring of numbers either.
        Retiring Numbers is lame!
        If you love NFL stats and history
        pro-football-reference.com
        jt-sw.com/football

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary30 View Post
          I say retire it. The Broncos would still be without a super bowl win without TD. 2,008 rushing yards?? Retire it.
          Thank you! TD's #30 should be retired. He's the greatest bronco RB by far. He brought us two super bowls. He should be honored as one of the greatest broncos of all time. Plus Denver was the only team he ever played for. He's a true bronco and deserves it!

Comment

Originally posted by improv View Post
            Just looked this up, there are some teams with crazy amount of retired numbers:
            Bears 13
            Giants 11
            49ers 9
            with plenty of teams with 7

There are 5 Franchises with no retired numbers.

Seahawks have the number 12 retired for "Fans/the twelfth man"
            I actuall thought the #12 for the 12th man was clever and a nice appreciation to the fans. When that number is flying high on a flag above the stadium in banners, it represents something. I Like it.

But AGAIN..... it was because of all the retired numbers by the bears, Giants, and cowboys that the NFL had to let WRs wear the 'teens' (which I absolutely hate) because those teams didn't have enough numbers to suit up all their WRs and TEs.

So you can NOT simply retire each and every player that is great for your team. Period. Whats next? 56? 27? 77? What about 84? If you take our 3-4-5 numbers every 10 years, you are making it difficult to suit up your own team. If every team did this since the merger, that would mean each team would have retired 12-20 numbers by now. Thats ridiculous.

Remember a player for what he did on the field. If the number on the field reminds you of that great player.... wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by dendave View Post
              I have never understood the retirement of numbers...I won't get into an argument about it, but if they have issued #1 already, it seems the Bronco front office doesn't think much about retiring of numbers either.
              Its not just the Broncos. The NFL has been very clear to the owners about retiring numbers. They had to increase the legal number available for WRs because of so many numbers being retired without thought for the future. So since the NFL had to extend the legal numbers to the 'teens' for WRs.. they have very specifically told the owners that retired numbers must have extraordinary circumstances behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                who said that? not exactly the smartest thing to say...the broncos could have a player much better than elway someday, not likely, but possible
                Look at what I wrote: After TD retired there was a push for his number to be retired. Bowlen had already announced that Elway's number was going to be retired and there was a push to retire Davis's number as well. Bowlen announced that it wasn't going to happen, that John's number was the only one being retired.

Now, he didn't say that was the ONLY number ever retired, but that John Elway was the standard for retiring numbers.
                Last edited by rogue719; 07-24-2008, 11:01 AM. Reason: Clarification
                You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                  Um, the Bears, the Giants and I think the 49'ers have been around MANY more years than the Broncos. Those are franchises that were already considered old when the AFL started in 1960, like the Packers.
                  Good point, I hadnt thought of that... even though how did these franchises think they would suit up all their players in the future by going mad over retiring numbers... just plain dumb.

Comment

Its just a number!

Comment

Originally posted by Momentum View Post
                      Its just a number!
                      See I disagree, a number to me is like a players identity,you think Elway 7, Davis 30, Michael Jordan 23, Little 44, Smith & Rice 80,Sharpe 84, maybe it's just me but , their names always make you think of their #, so it's more than a # to me
                      BRONCOPOWER

Comment

HOFers Only

If you get elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, then and only then are you worthy to have your number retired. Ring of Fame is good but not good enough on it's own. :2cents:
                        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Blue Man View Post
                          With the release of Mike Bell will this be an opportunity for the Broncos the officially or maybe unofficially retire the number 30.

What's your thoughts?
                          Thre not going to retire a jersey so put it out of your mind, the NFL even tried to pass a rule against retiring anymore jerseys, didnt happen but it was presented.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary30 View Post
                            I say retire it. The Broncos would still be without a super bowl win without TD. 2,008 rushing yards?? Retire it.
                            They wouldn't have made it without # 80, 84, 27, Griffith, nalen, crocket, lepsis, burns, eddie mac... should we retire all those numbers? takes a team to win not just 1 no matter how great he is.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X