Broncos Sign Eddie Royal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sacklunch View Post
    No, they're allotted numbers 10-19 and 80-89. Helps refs understand the players position.
    How come hester can wear 23 and he is now a WR shouldent they make him change it?
    PROUD MEMBER OF BRONCOS COUNTRY
    sigpic

Comment

Broncos Sign Eddie Royal

ENGLEWOOD, COLORADO (TICKER) —The Denver Broncos on Thursday signed wide receiver Eddie Royal, their second-round pick in this year’s draft.

Terms were not disclosed.

The 5-10, 182-pound Royal finished his four-year career at Virginia Tech as its all-time leader in career all-purpose yards, totaling 4,686 in 51 games , including 44 starts. He ranks fourth in Hokies’ history in career receptions (119), fifth in receiving touchdowns (12) and sixth in receiving yards (1,778).

Royal also set an Atlantic Coast Conference career record with 1,296 punt-return yards.

Last season, Royal was named to the All-ACC first team after posting a career-high 33 receptions for 496 yards with four touchdowns in 13 games. He also led the ACC and ranked 10th nationally with a 14.7-yard punt-return average and scored twice on punt returns.
      Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

yep its down a few post! but i can see why it needed another about time we got him signed!

Broncos signed rookie WR Eddie Royal, the No. 42 overall pick, to a four-year, $3.9 million contract. The deal includes $2.25 million guaranteed
        PROUD MEMBER OF BRONCOS COUNTRY
        sigpic

Comment

Greatacular news!
          I hope that he got a signing bonus.....I'm looking forward to seeing this young man get at it.....I already got him in the plans.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bmarsh15 View Post
            How come hester can wear 23 and he is now a WR shouldent they make him change it?
            Good question. But I believe it's because he started his career as a CB. They probably should make him change it since he's projected to be the #1 WR for them this year.

Here's a breakdown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number#NFL

* Numbers 1 to 19 are worn by quarterbacks, kickers, and punters.

* Since 2004, Wide receivers are also allowed to wear numbers between 10 and 19 if they so choose, even if there's an 80-89 number available.

* Numbers 20 to 49 are worn by running backs, tight ends (between 40-49 when an 80-89 number is unavailable), cornerbacks and safeties.
            * Numbers 50 to 59 are worn by linebackers and offensive linemen.
            * Numbers 60 to 79 are worn by members of both the offensive line (the tackles, guards and centers) and defensive line (the defensive ends, defensive tackles or nose guard).
            * Numbers 80 to 89 are worn by wide receivers and tight ends.
            * Numbers 90 to 99 are worn by linebackers and defensive linemen.
            * Numbers 0 and 00 are no longer used, though they were issued in the NFL before the number standardization in 1973.

It should be noted that this NFL numbering system is based on a player's primary position. Any player wearing any number may play at any position on the field at any time (though players wearing numbers 50-79 must let the referee know that they are playing out of position by reporting as an "ineligible number in an eligible position").
            Last edited by Sacklunch; 07-25-2008, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
              how come refs need to know the position?
              I guess so it's easier to spot illegal formations, ineligible receiver downfield etc.
              Last edited by Sacklunch; 07-25-2008, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X