Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall meets with Goodell

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_9976755?source=rss

Brandon Marshall has been sent to the NFL's version of the principal's office.

Two NFL sources said Marshall, the Broncos' star receiver who had 102 receptions last season, met Friday morning with league commissioner Roger Goodell in New York.

Accompanying Marshall during the 2 1/2-hour meeting were his attorney, Harvey Steinberg, and veteran Broncos receiver Rod Smith, who will announce his retirement this afternoon at the team's headquarters.

The purpose of the meeting was not to discuss the Broncos' chances of rebounding from back-to-back disappointing seasons. Of concern was the list of Marshall's off-field troubles that grew in the past year.

Goodell is expected to announce a decision next week on whether he will

Brandon Marshall
    Read the NFL's "Personal Conduct Policy" for players, coaches and employees
    Analyze Brandon Marshall's career stats
    suspend Marshall, and if so, for how long.
    Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said recently he didn't think Marshall should be suspended, saying most of his troubles stem from a stormy relationship that has since been terminated.

But while the presence of Smith, whose professionalism the league hopes to represent, couldn't have hurt Marshall, judicial precedence has not been kind to players brought before Goodell.

Last year, Goodell met with Adam Jones — then known as "Pacman" — Chris Henry and Terry "Tank" Johnson regarding their personal conduct transgressions. Jones received a minimum one-year suspension, and Henry and Johnson both were suspended for eight games.

Marshall is not likely to be suspended that long, primarily because despite all his incidents, he never has been convicted of a crime since joining the NFL in 2006, when the Broncos drafted him in the fourth round. He was arrested on charges of domestic violence and false imprisonment in March 2007, but those charges were dropped two months later.

In October 2007, Marshall was arrested for driving under the influence, but he has pled not guilty to that charge and his trial is pending.

Goodell, however, won't wait for due legal process before announcing his decision.

According to the league's strengthened personal conduct policy, which Goodell wrote and announced last year: "It's not enough to simply avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard. . . . Persons who fail to live up to this standard are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."

While the commissioner considers Marshall's case, Bronco-land braces.

The Future

NBA's Greatest Player Ever

I don't want to see Marshall get suspended...I'm glad the Broncos brought in Colbert,Jackson,Royal this offseason...
    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

cording to the league's strengthened personal conduct policy, which Goodell wrote and announced last year: "It's not enough to simply avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard. . . . Persons who fail to live up to this standard are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."
      Here in lies the biggest flaw to this whole conduct thing, and proof that goodell is just a power mad leader. By his law you are guilty until proven innocent and he doesn't care if you've done nothing wrong. What he wants are a bunch of faceless money makers for the NFL. He's shown this with his clamp down on celebrations, by the fact he wants to keep players out of the media spotlight unless they are kissing his or someone elses backside in the NFL.
      To many players could be caught out by a jealous ex, going to police claiming they were beaten up, or held prisoner in their home. It may never have happend, but the police are going to go and arrest said player and instantly his name becomes criminal number one to the comish. No matter what.
      And there are so many other scenarios that could unfairly tag a player.
      "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
      Ayrton Senna..

Comment

goodell is terrible at his job, and i would be highly suprised, as unfrotunate as it is... to not see marshall get suspended for 2 games. i actaully think 2 is very likely, dont forget goodell is not a kind man.

Marshall we all pray it isnt severe but 2 games wont be that detrimental. especially since 1 of them is oakland.....

Comment

As a member of the military...

I don't see any problem with how Commissioner Goodell is running things.
          We have 18 year old kids swear in and are told to understand that they represent their branch and their country on a daily basis. Those that don't comply get disciplined and/or relieved from duty. I bet this is the philosophy that Mr. Goodell has applied for his own position.

Why is it SOOOOO hard for "Grown Men" or "Soldiers" (according to KWII) to not put themselves IN those situations? Sometimes you ARE IN FACT guilty by ASSOCIATION even if you weren't necessarily the one doing the wrong. For all you kids out there, that means that even if you aren't the one rollin, or smokin', or snortin' but you remain around it... you are JUST AS GUILTY! This league is lacking INTEGRITY which is sad. Unfortunately there aren't MORE people like Mr. Smith (future HOFer in my book) coming into the league.

I really am a Brandon Marshall fan, and I don't want him to be suspended.... but I don't want America's youth (which seems to be all we really have these days) to look at that whole entire situation and say that "it's no big deal, and people are over-reacting." IT IS A BIG DEAL. Hopefully Brandon has INDEED learned from this, serves his suspension (it is inevitable), and GROWS UP!!!
          Thank You theMileHighGuy!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LastBoyScout View Post
            I don't see any problem with how Commissioner Goodell is running things.
            We have 18 year old kids swear in and are told to understand that they represent their branch and their country on a daily basis. Those that don't comply get disciplined and/or relieved from duty. I bet this is the philosophy that Mr. Goodell has applied for his own position.

Why is it SOOOOO hard for "Grown Men" or "Soldiers" (according to KWII) to not put themselves IN those situations? Sometimes you ARE IN FACT guilty by ASSOCIATION even if you weren't necessarily the one doing the wrong. For all you kids out there, that means that even if you aren't the one rollin, or smokin', or snortin' but you remain around it... you are JUST AS GUILTY! This league is lacking INTEGRITY which is sad. Unfortunately there aren't MORE people like Mr. Smith (future HOFer in my book) coming into the league.

I really am a Brandon Marshall fan, and I don't want him to be suspended.... but I don't want America's youth (which seems to be all we really have these days) to look at that whole entire situation and say that "it's no big deal, and people are over-reacting." IT IS A BIG DEAL. Hopefully Brandon has INDEED learned from this, serves his suspension (it is inevitable), and GROWS UP!!!
            Well, I don't entirely disagree...

But you talk about him being guilty by association. His 'crimes' were not of association (although Marcus Thomas cannot say the same). They were claims of his now ex girlfriend that he may in fact be entirely not guilty of. The whole thing is suspect at least, and if he is innocent he should not be punished. The DUI is different, but again if he's deemed not guilty does he indeed deserve to be punished?

If his girlfriend at the time made up the allegations, he's not guilty by association of anything other than having a vindictive girlfriend. Considering there was what basically amounted to an extortion letter sent to the Broncos, I would say it's possible. His father has also threatened 'ruining' his career.
            Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic
            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie View Post
              Here in lies the biggest flaw to this whole conduct thing, and proof that goodell is just a power mad leader. By his law you are guilty until proven innocent and he doesn't care if you've done nothing wrong. What he wants are a bunch of faceless money makers for the NFL. He's shown this with his clamp down on celebrations, by the fact he wants to keep players out of the media spotlight unless they are kissing his or someone elses backside in the NFL.
              To many players could be caught out by a jealous ex, going to police claiming they were beaten up, or held prisoner in their home. It may never have happend, but the police are going to go and arrest said player and instantly his name becomes criminal number one to the comish. No matter what.
              And there are so many other scenarios that could unfairly tag a player.
              I do understand your point, but I have to disagree for the last 10 years the "class" of the NFL has been steadily declining. He has to be tough to make a change. I agree no matter how much, as fans of any team, we like these guys on the field that if they can't control their off-field lives then they need time off from "work" to straighten it out. Their business is media driven so image is important. And Goodell is not trying to "handcuff" the player's media exposure, just curbing their 6pm news exposure.And I agree it is very easy for anyone not just NFL brats to find themselves in uncompromising situations by a "jealous ex" but when it happens more than once, it is obvious that the individual does not have control of the situation. Poor judgment can have serious consequences and Goodell is just trying to get good judgment and smarter choices out of some of the more problematic NFL Brats. The only people that seem to complain about him are the players who can't stay out of "lock-up" and fans who condone that silly non-sense. If I made their kind of money and I had a "crazy-ass" ex, I'd just move. I guess it's too easy to continue to make poor choices.
              #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                I do understand your point, but I have to disagree for the last 10 years the "class" of the NFL has been steadily declining. He has to be tough to make a change. I agree no matter how much, as fans of any team, we like these guys on the field that if they can't control their off-field lives then they need time off from "work" to straighten it out. Their business is media driven so image is important. And Goodell is not trying to "handcuff" the player's media exposure, just curbing their 6pm news exposure.And I agree it is very easy for anyone not just NFL brats to find themselves in uncompromising situations by a "jealous ex" but when it happens more than once, it is obvious that the individual does not have control of the situation. Poor judgment can have serious consequences and Goodell is just trying to get good judgment and smarter choices out of some of the more problematic NFL Brats. The only people that seem to complain about him are the players who can't stay out of "lock-up" and fans who condone that silly non-sense. If I made their kind of money and I had a "crazy-ass" ex, I'd just move. I guess it's too easy to continue to make poor choices.
                If I had to guess by this statement, I would have to guess that you've never really had a crazy girlfriend. I've been there and done that... and I can say that even when I was ready to be done, threats of suicide etc. can be rather powerful when coming from someone you care about... regardless of whether or not you know you don't belong with them.
                Thanks, Reid!
                sigpic

Comment

True... and I'll give you that...

I was mainly saying this as a general thing towards all athletes/movie stars/ celebrities/etc...and not completely directed at Brandon..

I share everyone's frustration with the whole issue, but what I want to know is why (since there was more than one instance with this girl) did he continue to allow himself to be put in that situation again, in the first place? His father being shady (I was unaware of) is a different thing, but I've kinda had to face tough issues like that in my life. Better to do away with the BAD seeds than to allow the BAD seeds to do away with YOU.

He seems like an honest to goodness good guy (DUI is definately inexcusable though) who has had some trouble follow him, and I just want what's best for him, the team, the league and all those kids who watch him and idolize him because he's a star.

He (and all in his position) just need to be more careful and think about their situations and how they affect everyone (not just themselves) more.
                  Thank You theMileHighGuy!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LastBoyScout View Post
                    I was mainly saying this as a general thing towards all athletes/movie stars/ celebrities/etc...and not completely directed at Brandon..

I share everyone's frustration with the whole issue, but what I want to know is why (since there was more than one instance with this girl) did he continue to allow himself to be put in that situation again, in the first place? His father being shady (I was unaware of) is a different thing, but I've kinda had to face tough issues like that in my life. Better to do away with the BAD seeds than to allow the BAD seeds to do away with YOU.

He seems like an honest to goodness good guy (DUI is definately inexcusable though) who has had some trouble follow him, and I just want what's best for him, the team, the league and all those kids who watch him and idolize him because he's a star.

He (and all in his position) just need to be more careful and think about their situations and how they affect everyone (not just themselves) more.
                    Like I said previously, I definately agree with your point for the most part. I'm not against a crackdown on conduct as a whole. I think that Marshall's predicaments point out possible gray areas though... where we're talking about one person's allegations against the other. Marshall actually has better physical proof of abuse by her family than she has against him... but he refused to press charges.

As for the DUI... they are always inexcusable... but also a very common mistake. I don't mind talking about my own experience (even though I know it could face scrutiny as some could claim I'm simply making it up). I got an arrest for a DUI and then after the arrest blew under the legal limit at the police station. Even though that made the breath test non admissable in court, I faced the possibility of being convicted and facing jail time and a suspended license due to the officer's interpretation of my demeanor when pulled over.

I took the deal I was offered and had probation and classes. Brandon chose to take it to court, but has not yet been convicted. He may still come out innocent on it, whereas I plead guilty when it was questionable according to even my arresting officer... but I didn't face the possibility of being suspended from work for taking the plea offer.
                    Thanks, Reid!
                    sigpic

Comment

To be honest you never know what goodel is going to hand down...He might come down hard on him just to keep setting an exampleto the other players that issues will not be tolerated anymore..I sure as hell hope he goes easy on him but untill we hear from him you just dont know what he will do...I personally don't feel like the g/f issues warrants any action but with the dui he may get some kind of suspension at least a couple of games I bet....
                      sigpic

GO BRONCOS IN 2008

Comment

What happened to your innocent until proven guilty. Some of these athletes are targets when they're on the streets. Some for him to suspend somebody without due process is unfair.
                        Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                          If I had to guess by this statement, I would have to guess that you've never really had a crazy girlfriend. I've been there and done that... and I can say that even when I was ready to be done, threats of suicide etc. can be rather powerful when coming from someone you care about... regardless of whether or not you know you don't belong with them.
                          I've had a few, but I'm a jerk when it comes to stuff like that. I always put myself and my well being first. If she wants to knock herself off because I'm leaving, then there are bigger issues that she needs to get help on. If you are in a relationship where cops are being called and all kinds of nonsense is going on, be smart enough to leave because it's only gonna get worse. If he were a regular guy and his "crazy" girlfriend was causing issues that affected his job and the company he worked for, he would've been fired quite some time ago. I'm sorry I can't agree with poor personal choices. I can understand how they happen once. But to repeatdly happen is just plain silly and unexcusable. I love the guy and think he is an essential part of our team for the forseable future, but he has gotta get his act together. Point blank.
                          #swapping

Comment

Omg free speech :brick:. Why are you trying to make him mad?

Comment

Innocent until proven guilty is only guaranteed in a court of law. And Brandon, like Pacman, Tank and Chris Henry before him, will have his day in court, where those words apply.

The NFL is not a court of law and does not have to abide by that.

The bottom line is, the NFL is a business. Unfortunately, image is a huge part of that business. If the NFL starts to get the reputation as a league of criminals, with no means of accountability for their own actions, their image will be blown and people will stop watching and attending games, they'll stop buying merchandise and the NFL will stop losing money.

Don't believe that...do you know anyone who stopped following the NBA because of the thug image it got after the Jordan generation retired? I know a bunch of people like that. And they still haven't gone back to the NBA.

Roger Goodell has made it pretty obvious and clear how he's running this league and has not left much up to interpretation when discussing what kind of conduct he expects from his players.

If guys like Marshall and the others don't like that...they are free to work somewhere else.

I have no sympathy for ANY player that gets himself into legal trouble and into a suspension...because they all know, beyond a shadow of a doubt what type of conduct is expected of them.

Crazy girlfriend?? It's simple. Don't. Hit. Her. Even if she deserves it. Like Chris Rock has said, "There's a reason to push on old man down a flight of steps...just don't do it." And even the crazy girlfriend can't explain getting drunk and behind the wheel of a car. The crazy girlfriend can't explain away the driving without a license and whatever other nonsense he just got arrested for.

Now, I bleed orange and I want nothing more than for Brandon to play the whole season and torch the league again...but when I take off my orange-tinted glasses and look at his situation...in today's NFL, he deserves to be suspended. Period.

He is well aware of the rules and he did all that stupid sh** anyway.

Course, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong.
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X