Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Sign Ryan Clady

As reported by Adam Schefter.

The deal is 5 years, 17.5 million, 11.5 million guaranteed.

Good news that we get him in, but thats a hefty price to pay. Chris Williams, taken two selections later got 5 years, 13 million, 9 million guaranteed.

I think we overpaid a bit, but we could not risk not having him in camp on time.

Yes! :thumb:

Welcome to training camp!

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post

I think we overpaid a bit, but we could not risk not having him in camp on time.
      that might have been a steep price but there is no doubt we need him there and there from the start getting as many reps as possible not only for his sake but to make cutler feel more comfortable about his blind side. GREAT NEWS all the way around.
      LETS GO BRONCOS!!!!
      BRONCO COUNTRY is EVERYWHERE !!!!
      BRONCO FAN since 1986
      MY SON DARION
      THE NEXT GREAT DENVER BRONCO

Comment

Just glad it's done. Now everyone can focus on football.

That does seem high when compared to Williams however. Hopefully he's worth it!

Comment

link please.

It is not like I don't believe you, but I can not find it on the net.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!!
          Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

The Denver Broncos have agreed to terms with offensive tackle Ryan Clady, the team’s first-round pick in the 2008 draft.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Clady signed a five-year deal worth $17.5 million, with $11.5 million in guaranteed money.

Clady was the 12th overall selection

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Here you go.
            I am sorry about my spelling and grammar . Please: understand i have dyslexia , but I love my Broncos.:go:

Comment

Broncos seal deal with Clady
              By Mike Klis
              The Denver Post
              Article Launched: 07/25/2008 06:40:26 AM MDT

Ryan Clady (Denver Post file photo)

It took all-night, nonstop negotiation but the Broncos and their No. 1 draft pick Ryan Clady reached an agreement on a six-year contract.

The deal was reached about an hour before Broncos were to begin training camp by reporting for physicals at 6 a.m. this morning.

The parameters of the deal would include guarantees of between $10.7 million and $11 million and an option for the rookie left tackle to void after his fifth season providing he meets certain playing time incentives.

What will Clady buy first once he collects a portion of his NFL bonus?

"Probably some furniture," Clady said. "Although, I still have to get a place worked out."

After the player physicals, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was to lead the team's season-opening meeting before commencing the workout at 11:15 a.m.

link
              sigpic

Comment

As reported by Adam Schefter.

The deal is 5 years, 17.5 million, 11.5 million guaranteed.

Good news that we get him in, but thats a hefty price to pay. Chris Williams, taken two selections later got 5 years, 13 million, 9 million guaranteed.

If he becomes as good as he can be, 3.5 million a year for a franchise left tackle is a bargain. Compare this deal to the contracts doled out to other left tackles.

Comment

He's going to be good, and he's ready-made for our offense. It's a bargain.

If we'd gotten Williams at 11, his price probably would have been about the same. A lot of it is WHERE you draft, not just WHO you draft.
                  In Manning I trust.

Comment

As long as he keeps our franchise QB upright and healthy, he's worth every penny!

GO BRONCOS!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
                      He's going to be good, and he's ready-made for our offense. It's a bargain.

If we'd gotten Williams at 11, his price probably would have been about the same. A lot of it is WHERE you draft, not just WHO you draft.

To an extent, certainly, but I'd say the vast majority of the contract, especially in the first round, comes from negotiation leverage and the player's football position. After the 2nd round, the salaries really become heavily slotted regardless.

Last year, a RB, Marshawn Lynch, was taken 12th Overall, he received a 5 year, 18.9 million, 10 million guarantee.

Typically, offensive playmakers are paid fairly disproportionate amounts compared to normal salaries for their draft slot. That, of course, completely goofs up the negotiations for a non-offensive playmaker drafted in a similar slot the next year.

And sometimes, the player is of such a massive need that the team overpays to avoid a holdout. I think we did that here since the #10 player Overall only received roughly 2 million more then Clady, but Clady received roughly 4 million more then Chris Williams at 14. But at least it wasn't to the calibur of the Cardinals last year and Levi Brown. They paid him more then any player will make in this 2008 draft (other then Matt Ryan) and because of it, KC can't sign Glenn Dorsey in that draft slot. He wants his 62 million now, which has completely ticked off Chiefs ownership. I find it all amusing.

Compared to that deal though, Clady is a steal. However, with harder negotiations we could have gotten him cheaper or added a non-voidable 6th year onto the K. If he develops, that 6th year would have been immensely valuable in the 8-10 million range. Prospects always hate to do 6 year deals though, they want to hit FA faster for a chance at more guaranteed cash. NFL clubs can get it done, but they have to take a hard bargaining position and be willing to risk a likely holdout. I don't think we had that luxury this season. We had to have Clady in camp. The end result is a K worth roughly 2 million more then it should be. Which is not really a big deal, but it is 2 million that could have been saved, if not a lot more by hammering out a 6 year deal. In the end we caved because we had to.

Comment

the darn CBS4 text woke me up this morning..... other then that YAY!

Comment

Is it just me, or did that loud mouth Eugene Robinson get picked on alot in those 2 Super Bowls, man we punked him out.

Anyways, is that everybody? I see Royal signed so that should be everyone right. Clady's deal was a good one, he will prove to be much better than Chris Williams and will start form day 1, he deserves more money, Williams will probably sit a year or 2 before he starts.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                            As long as he keeps our franchise QB upright and healthy, he's worth every penny!

GO BRONCOS!!
                            You are sooo right!
                            sigpic
                            Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                            -Sean Payton

Comment

However, with harder negotiations we could have gotten him cheaper or added a non-voidable 6th year onto the K. If he develops, that 6th year would have been immensely valuable in the 8-10 million range. Prospects always hate to do 6 year deals though, they want to hit FA faster for a chance at more guaranteed cash. NFL clubs can get it done, but they have to take a hard bargaining position and be willing to risk a likely holdout. I don't think we had that luxury this season. We had to have Clady in camp. The end result is a K worth roughly 2 million more then it should be. Which is not really a big deal, but it is 2 million that could have been saved, if not a lot more by hammering out a 6 year deal. In the end we caved because we had to.
                              Good points but, as you basically pointed out, we are not in a position to play hardball. First and foremost because we are counting on him starting from Day 1 this year! Had we played hardball, Clady would have missed a few weeks (at least) of camp, not started, and probably have contributed very little this year (and don't forget, we still would have been paying him while he was doing very little)

At the end of the day, we're the Broncos, not the Cardinals, so we get our deals done and the players come to camp on time

Comment

Working...
                              X