Josh Barrett Starting at FS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Barrett Starting at FS?

Reports from TC say that Barrett is improving and making plays. He will only get more comfortable in the defense as camp and preseason go on. Barrett obviously has more potential than McCree, and perhaps all of our safeties. I know Lynch's leadership will be missed but JB was known to be a big leader on the D at Arizona State. He is catching onto the scheme of things.

You can't say that a rookie safety will not make an impact. Both Michael Griffin and Reggie Nelson played huge roles for Tennessee and Jacksonville in 2007 and although Josh Barrett wasn't a first round selection, he has just as much upside.

What do you guys think?

As of right now, he's still a "workout warrior" who didn't improve his draft stockk.

Comment

i think marlon will take lynchs place i dident see any thing super amazing out of JB when i was there
      PROUD MEMBER OF BRONCOS COUNTRY
      sigpic

Comment

If he earns the spot I will be giddy. if not, it'll be fine.
        sigpic
        Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
          As of right now, he's still a "workout warrior" who didn't improve his draft stockk.
          He's an exception where coming back for his senior season hurt his draft stock significantly.

He had a second round grade after his junior year, but wanted to come back and be a part of what was supposed be an excellent team at ASU, and actually was.

Switching positions in a new defensive scheme and injuries, putting an end to his impact days at ASU.

Comment

That'd mean that our starting safeties would be picks #231 and #220 in their respective drafts. Talk about upstarts...

While I think Barrett has the physical potential, safety is quite a mentally challenging position and that aspect takes time to develop. And he really could have done with John around...however, Slowik is one of the top DB coaches in the league, so I'm pretty sure he'll do a good job. Still, there's almost no way he starts this season as he's very raw. As far as I hear he needs to develop his instinct; the less he needs to think about things, the more he'll be able to live up to his track speed. It could take a while and he shouldn't be rushed into it by all means.
            sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

If you play alot of cover 1, the number 1 thing you need is speed.

Barrett has it.

How is his tackling ?

Comment

i think lynch is easily the starter... however, depending on how barrett performs he'll could definitely see some time.

his size and speed tell me that he could definitely be effective in both run and pass defense.

but the key here.... smarts

lynch is a beast, he might get beat on a route every now and then, but his influence in run defense is primo. he is always in position, and rarely misses tackles.... there is not much in this league that he hasn't seen and he is still one of the better safeties in the league. right now, no one on this team is ready to unseat him at that position.

i do look forward to watchin the younger guys learn and grow under his leadership and eventually stepping into that role, but until then... i'll be watchin lynch clobber these scrubs!

Comment

Originally posted by in.the.game View Post
                  i think lynch is easily the starter... however, depending on how barrett performs he'll could definitely see some time.

his size and speed tell me that he could definitely be effective in both run and pass defense.

but the key here.... smarts

lynch is a beast, he might get beat on a route every now and then, but his influence in run defense is primo. he is always in position, and rarely misses tackles.... there is not much in this league that he hasn't seen and he is still one of the better safeties in the league. right now, no one on this team is ready to unseat him at that position.

i do look forward to watchin the younger guys learn and grow under his leadership and eventually stepping into that role, but until then... i'll be watchin lynch clobber these scrubs!
                  Lynch is no longer a Bronco.

Comment

Barrett has it.

How is his tackling ?

Mccree is a natural strong safety, he will be fine.

Sure wish John would have made up his mind before the draft, we could have stolen Kenny Phillips when he tumbled down the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7 View Post

Barrett has it.

How is his tackling ?
                      "Reliable tackler who can also deliver the knockout blow." http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...shbarrett.html

"He is a reliable open field tackler that flashes the ability to deliver the big hit." http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_ID=1233

"...hits like a rock." http://warroomreport.com/index.php?o...d=177&Itemid=1

"...possesses the hitting skills of a linebacker" http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cv...=7099#scouting

Seems to be good.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                        Lynch is no longer a Bronco.
                        didn't see that when i posted, i stand corrected! start Barrett damnitt!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
                          "...possesses the hitting skills of a linebacker"

Seems to be good.
                          What if the linebacker they were referring to was Ian Gold?
                          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
                            What if the linebacker they were referring to was Ian Gold?
                            Then he would have been cut already.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Does'nt anyone remember a second round pick named Eric Brown in 1998 replacing Tyrone Braxton? This is no different and we'll be ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X