Josh Barrett Starting at FS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
    I watched all their games and as much as I hate to say it...I'm not convinced that they actually had a weak link on Defense. Even if they did it shouldn't be as a discredit to McCree. Are you suggesting that McCree is now the weak llink on our D? It takes a mix of veterans and young players.

I don't want to sound like I'm against young guys starting but rookies starting is usually a worst case scenerio.
    I was just saying that McCree may not be the best option. Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffin and Eric Weddle all were rookies on their respective teams, and all of them played very good football. Josh Barrett was rated as a 2nd round draft pick before injury so I think if he learns the defense before week 1 and performs well in preseason, he could be better than any safety we have at the FS spot. He would only improve from there.

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
      I was just saying that McCree may not be the best option. Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffin and Eric Weddle all were rookies on their respective teams, and all of them played very good football. Josh Barrett was rated as a 2nd round draft pick before injury so I think if he learns the defense before week 1 and performs well in preseason, he could be better than any safety we have at the FS spot. He would only improve from there.
      Last year Eric Weddle was a spot player and Michael Griffen got owned by BMarsh! I'm just messin' with you!

If you're right and Barrett comes in and lights it up I can guarantee you that I'll be happier than McCree playing. I just think it's a bit of a reach to think he will be the starter over McCree at this point...maybe next year?
      " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

I like Barrett better than Hamza, that's for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
          I like Barrett better than Hamza, that's for sure!
          Thats a bit biased because Hamza has been our best safety so far and Barret hasn't played a down of football in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler=Elway View Post
            It would be just like you to say this..so negitive on 99.9% of all posts yet you want to give him a shot at starting... He look's lost out there on i'd say 50% of the plays...He look's the part, act's the part, but he's not smart enough to read coverage's let alone blitzing sceem's and be a leader out there. Give him a spot on the 53 have him be a beast on kick-off's and punt's...learn to play A position and maybe turn him loose after this season.
            He's really good when he doesn't think the part, but it's just so fast for him right now when he gets beat he gets beat bad...You would have to see for yourself what i'm trying to say, he has all the tools he just needs to stop thinking and react...He gets yelled at for being out of position...then the next 5 plays he over thinks and plays it safe...If that explains it well enough for you. It's like I said it's just something you have to see...he wants to brake out but you can tell he holds up becouse he's afraid he's not doing something right...If he went full speed and we take our time with this guy ...He can be very,very,very good...But thats a big IF...It's an Atwater type of player...We need to pull the reigns back a bit.IMO

Maybe you miss understood my post.... I said give him a shot.... I didnt say start him. I say give him a shot to win the job, if he wins start him, if he loses then bench him. I have not doubts that he is lost. I was lost the first few practices when I went to college, but he will come around. I say with the lack of talent that we got at the position, he deserves the same chance the McCree and Manual get.
            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
              Last year Eric Weddle was a spot player and Michael Griffen got owned by BMarsh! I'm just messin' with you!

If you're right and Barrett comes in and lights it up I can guarantee you that I'll be happier than McCree playing. I just think it's a bit of a reach to think he will be the starter over McCree at this point...maybe next year?
              Didn't Weddle beat out McCree at the end of last season and into the playoffs?
              Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                Didn't Weddle beat out McCree at the end of last season and into the playoffs?
                He didn't beat him out at all. Weddle was simply the future at the position and McCree was in his final year of his contract. If you look at the Chargers contracts (that are all coming due at the same time) they had little choice (imo) than to plug in the young guy and hope to get him "on the cheap" for a few years. It is a known fact that the front office is concerned about losing a few key players because of this. They needed the $ which is why Luis Castillo just got paid. If you look at any position core you can usually (except QB) get away with a rookie as long as he is surrounded by good players.
                " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                  He's a rookie so it will take time before he's good enough to start. That said, with Lynch gone he'll get more reps in camp and that will speed up his development.
                  True, but the door could swing both ways in that Barrett may have progressed faster with Lynch around as a mentor
                  sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

I think it would be great if Josh Barrett could become the starting FS in his rookie year..

I have no allegiance to any of the players we have at the safety position as it is..I'm still in shock on how far Barrett's draft stock slipped during NCAA season & leading up to the draft....
                    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

i was looking foward to seeing lynch mentor this kid in his rookie season but we dont have that luxury with his departure. however im still optimistic that he will show flashes of brilliance this season.

he reminds me alot of kerry rhodes from the jets. size/speed/strength and rhodes also flew under the rader i believe he was a 5th rounder and former team mate to doom.

i wish barrett the best of luck.

Comment

Don't be fooled by Barret.

Sure, he's a hell of a workout freak. He's big, strong, and fast.

But as of right now, he's not very good.

Comment

From all I've read about Josh Barrett, he is big, strong, fast, and a top notch tackler who also can deliver a big hit. From that I've concluded that even if he can't crack the lineup as a starter, he should be incredible on ST coverage.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Some Questions/Issues Regarding the Safeties:

How often will the Broncos' D line up w/two Ss?

When they do, will there be a box S and a deep S?

Do the Broncos still refer to their box S as a FS and the deep S as SS?

In which of these positions are the current safeties projected? Rogers and Barrett=deep; and, McCree, Abdullah, Manuel=box?

In TC so far, does nickel replace a S or a LB with another corner?

Who's in and out in dime?

The deep S, which I would call free (because he has deep 1/3 on cover 3, center-field/break-on-the-ball in cover one and man in cover zero) would probably be Rogers and Barrett, one would imagine. Anybody been at practice and notice?
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                              How often will the Broncos' D line up w/two Ss?

When they do, will there be a box S and a deep S?

Do the Broncos still refer to their box S as a FS and the deep S as SS?

In which of these positions are the current safeties projected? Rogers and Barrett=deep; and, McCree, Abdullah, Manuel=box?

[B]In TC so far, does nickel replace a S or a LB with another corner?

Who's in and out in dime?[B/]

The deep S, which I would call free (because he has deep 1/3 on cover 3, center-field/break-on-the-ball in cover one and man in cover zero) would probably be Rogers and Barrett, one would imagine. Anybody been at practice and notice?
                              The point of nickel is to replace a LB with a corner.

Dime replaces another LB with the fourth corner.
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
                                Josh Barrett really impressed a group of us at camp Thursday. He is a stud and looks like he was making good reads, mental adjustments, etc. He could be a steal. Nothing says he will not/can not start at some point this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X