Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos line woes - SI

Broncos line woes

With no football to play for the first time in 18 years, former pro Ross Tucker is passing the time reading about his favorite sport. What follows are a few links to NFL-related articles he found and his take on them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...1/tucks.takes/

The recent news that Denver Broncos projected starting guard Montrae Holland showed up for camp overweight was not much of a surprise to those who have followed his career. What is a surprise is that the Broncos signed him in the first place. The road-grading, wide-bodied Holland, who spent his first four seasons with the Saints and reported to Broncos camp weighing 322 pounds, appears to be the antithesis of everything the Denver line has been known for the past 10 decade.

For years the Broncos relied upon svelte linemen who had the unique athletic skills to run laterally in order to cut off or cut down the defenders on the back side of their vaunted zone rushing attack. Svelte is not the best adjective to describe When Holland signed with the Broncos last season, many around the league wondered why the Broncos were going against what has always worked?

Broncos linemen like Tom Nalen and Ben Hamilton are well under 300 pounds. Their relative lack of bulk gives them the quickness to leverage defenders at both the first and second levels, opening up horizontal seams in the opposing team's defense. The Broncos lean blocking machine led to undrafted rookies and late-round picks becoming household names as they shot up the league's rushing charts. At times it seemed like whoever they put in the backfield would rush for over 1,000 yards.

But the signing of Holland was one of the first indications things were changing in Denver, and not necessarily for the better. The Broncos don't appear to run their outside zone schemes as effectively as they used to and their recent propensity for more drop-back passing with quarterback Jay Cutler leads to the offensive line at times being overpowered.

The Broncos can't have it both ways. If they want bigger linemen like Holland who can deliver some vertical push in the running game and strengthen the middle of the pocket in the passing game, then they should go that route consistently. It is the mixing and matching that seems out of whack.

What do you think?

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

We definitely need to get bigger starters

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
      The Broncos can't have it both ways. If they want bigger linemen like Holland who can deliver some vertical push in the running game and strengthen the middle of the pocket in the passing game, then they should go that route consistently. It is the mixing and matching that seems out of whack.

What do you think?
      I think this guy doesn't understand the process of change.

Did he not see who we drafted in the first round?

What does he think, we're going to release the7 smaller linemen we have, keep the only 2 bigger ones, and bring in entirely new personnel?

Comment

He did well last year, he didn't allow very many sacks and was a brick wall on the right side of the line. He may not be a Lepsis or a Nalen but I think the reviewer is being a bit critical of him. I think if he gets his weight down he will be fine. I mean Clady is 315 at 6'6" and he's moving and blocking better than even Hamilton.

The game is getting bigger and stronger as a whole, and the 265lb linemen just aren't going to cut it anymore.

Comment

There's a big difference between a 330lb lineman, and a 330lb lineman with quick feet.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

The Broncos are still using smaller linemen, how many teams have OG's under 320 pounds? It stands to reason that when the weight of heavy offensive linemen go up, so must the weight of light offensive linemen. If the average OG used to be 310 lbs, then a light could get by on 285, if the average goes up to 330, then light OGs must follow and get up to 305.

Holland was solid last year, he was probably the best lineman on passing plays except for Nalen and he does have some pretty good movement for a heavy guy.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
              There's a big difference between a 330lb lineman, and a 330lb lineman with quick feet.
              That's why all of our Linemen should be required to learn how to ball room dance. Especially the bigger ones

Comment

well I think the broncos can have it both ways, and I like the mix of smaller and bigger linemen. Makes the unit multi-dimensional. And Clady is a big guy who is probably also the best athlete on that line. Who says you can't have it both ways?

Guys like Kuper, Pears, and Polumbus are big too.

Comment

The problem with that thinking though, as far as the running game goes, is that Henry was on pace to gain nearly 1,500 yards before he got hurt. Young's average per carry indicates that he probably would have gained over 1,000 yards if he had been the full time starter from the start and stayed healthy.

The Broncos scheme doesn't exclude linemen with Hollands bulk. He clearly demonstrated to the coaches that he had the necessary mobility and athleticism to play within the scheme or he wouldn't have been signed. On top of that, he wouldn't have had his contract extended last off season before he had actually played a down for the Broncos, even in a preseason game. I remember last year there were people on these boards swearing up and down that Kuper was going to be the starting right guard, only to see Holland get the job and keep it. The only reason Kuper started was because both Nalen and Hamilton were injured, forcing Meyers to move to center from the left guard position he was holding down when the team lost Hamilton at the start of the season.

I think this guy is way off base in thinking that Holland and guys with his bulk can't play in the Broncos' scheme. I think the fact that Holland hasn't been cut already is a clear indication that the Broncos want him in their starting lineup because they believe he can help them in the running game and the passing game.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Holland was easily our best and most consistent O-Lineman last year, he played very well.

The fact that we were missing 2 key starters most of last year and used like 3 different RB's and still finished in the top 10 in rushing yards says something about our scheme, as if enough hasn't already been said.

I really hope Holland gets his stuff together and gets his RG spot back, he is a major asset!

Comment

i think its better to have a guy like Holland... while he may not be the most mobile like a Dan neil or ben hamilton, he has enough mobility to get the job done, while also having more weight to throw around at the goalline, where the previous 2 lineman mentioned struggle
                      dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I watched the OL a couple of times last season and one thing that stood out to me was that Holland is very light on his feet for his size. Sure, he's less mobile than guys like Tom, but he can still shift well. In the end, whilst smaller linemen are usually quicker, if they have the size too without sacrificing their movement we're going to snap the up. I can't see us moving away from the ZBS any time soon.
                        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Muse-----I agree with ya brother holland was picked up by us because he was one of the few guys that kept great athleticsim in our scheme for his size. his size helped the power game a little without sacrificing to much agility and athleticism. i think once holland starts practicing this will all be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                            That's why all of our Linemen should be required to learn how to ball room dance. Especially the bigger ones
                            ball room dancing is easy, they need to learn ballarina. isn't that what people used to say about the bus?
                            disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

My Sentiments Exactly...

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                              The problem with that thinking though, as far as the running game goes, is that Henry was on pace to gain nearly 1,500 yards before he got hurt. Young's average per carry indicates that he probably would have gained over 1,000 yards if he had been the full time starter from the start and stayed healthy.

The Broncos scheme doesn't exclude linemen with Hollands bulk. He clearly demonstrated to the coaches that he had the necessary mobility and athleticism to play within the scheme or he wouldn't have been signed. On top of that, he wouldn't have had his contract extended last off season before he had actually played a down for the Broncos, even in a preseason game. I remember last year there were people on these boards swearing up and down that Kuper was going to be the starting right guard, only to see Holland get the job and keep it. The only reason Kuper started was because both Nalen and Hamilton were injured, forcing Meyers to move to center from the left guard position he was holding down when the team lost Hamilton at the start of the season.

I think this guy is way off base in thinking that Holland and guys with his bulk can't play in the Broncos' scheme. I think the fact that Holland hasn't been cut already is a clear indication that the Broncos want him in their starting lineup because they believe he can help them in the running game and the passing game.
                              This guy is a tool. Where's he gettin' his scoop, deep analysis of sled and cardio activities? I guess he things Tuten is too small....and too old @ 56.

Comment

Working...
                              X