Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shanny Alll But Gurantees the Playoffs..104....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanny Alll But Gurantees the Playoffs..104....

Did anyone hear Shanny on The Fan this morning? I know everyone talks crap about 104.3 but they do get great interviews. He was on for almost a half an hour.

One way or the other, he said, definitively, "We will not miss the playoffs this season". He never makes comments like that. I guarantee, he doesn't want to lose his most significant statistic, never more than 2 losing seasons, ever.

The most interesting thing to me during the interview is that he seemed to be truly fired up. He felt genuinely excited. I haven't heard him be that candid in years. I loved it, I was fired up! Your thoughts?

Originally posted by hambone13 View Post
    Did anyone hear Shanny on The Fan this morning? I know everyone talks crap about 104.3 but they do get great interviews. He was on for almost a half an hour.

One way or the other, he said, definitively, "We will not miss the playoffs this season". He never makes comments like that. I guarantee, he doesn't want to lose his most significant statistic, never more than 2 losing seasons, ever.

The most interesting thing to me during the interview is that he seemed to be truly fired up. He felt genuinely excited. I haven't heard him be that candid in years. I loved it, I was fired up! Your thoughts?
    I think it's positive. He's trying to get interest up, and get his team motivated.

I see nothing wrong with it. I just hope the team doesn't let him down, because I really don't see this team as is as a playoff team. And I think if this team fails to reach the playoffs, the bullseye on his back will bigger than ever for his critics.

So we'll see.
    sigpic

Comment

I didn't listen to it but its nice to hear he is confident.

Makes me a little more sure about a season I was worrying about...

Comment

I think this team is much better than last years team, and last years team wasn't THAT horrible... despite what the record showed.

You have a star QB who is now entering his 3rd season in the NFL, a star WR, and improved OL (even if you don't count draft picks, you have the top players back that are no longer injured), an improved WR corp depth, we have an improved safety position (against the pass), we have improved DLine, and improved LBs. Not to mention we have a defensive scheme that will be MUCH more suitable to our talent.

That being said... I don't know why we couldn't make the playoffs.

Comment

Roger that Ghost Rider.

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
          I think this team is much better than last years team, and last years team wasn't THAT horrible... despite what the record showed.

You have a star QB who is now entering his 3rd season in the NFL, a star WR, and improved OL (even if you don't count draft picks, you have the top players back that are no longer injured), an improved WR corp depth, we have an improved safety position (against the pass), we have improved DLine, and improved LBs. Not to mention we have a defensive scheme that will be MUCH more suitable to our talent.

That being said... I don't know why we couldn't make the playoffs.
          He brought up an interesting statistic w/o m much clarification around the parameters of the stats.

"In our last Superbowl we had 15 injuries. Last year we had 78."

I believe that he believes he can always get 10 wins as long as he doesn't face significant injuries. That was truly his only caveat of his "almost guarantee". That's a very interesting stat. I would imagine it's the "How many starters / game" stat he was alluding to. I remember him mentioning it last year during a press conference. I think he thought it was probably an NFL record of some kind...

Comment

I think if he is guaranteeing that than he definitely likes what he sees. I was excited just from his reaction to the draft. You could tell that he really did his homework, and fealt like it was going to pay off.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

He brought up an interesting statistic w/o m much clarification around the parameters of the stats.

"In our last Superbowl we had 15 injuries. Last year we had 78."

I believe that he believes he can always get 10 wins as long as he doesn't face significant injuries. That was truly his only caveat of his "almost guarantee". That's a very interesting stat. I would imagine it's the "How many starters / game" stat he was alluding to. I remember him mentioning it last year during a press conference. I think he thought it was probably an NFL record of some kind...
              In fairness, however, the injury reports are very misleading. I mean, Tom Brady has been on the Patriots injury report for years now for his shoulder, and hasn't missed a game.

Basically, any type of injury - to the most minor hangnail to the worst muscle tear or bone break - has to be reported.

Not necessarily disputing Shanahan's statement. I have no doubt we had more injuries last year than we did in our Super Bowl year. But the 78 injuries doesn't mean that 78 players were out or were incapable of playing. Injuries did play a factor, but really it was our shotty defensive and offensive lines, our continued inability to score in the red zone, and our poor special teams that hurt us the most last season. Injuries were just the icing on the cake.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                In fairness, however, the injury reports are very misleading. I mean, Tom Brady has been on the Patriots injury report for years now for his shoulder, and hasn't missed a game.

Basically, any type of injury - to the most minor hangnail to the worst muscle tear or bone break - has to be reported.

Not necessarily disputing Shanahan's statement. I have no doubt we had more injuries last year than we did in our Super Bowl year. But the 78 injuries doesn't mean that 78 players were out or were incapable of playing. Injuries did play a factor, but really it was our shotty defensive and offensive lines, our continued inability to score in the red zone, and our poor special teams that hurt us the most last season. Injuries were just the icing on the cake.
                78 games were missed by players last year, the most in franchise history. he wasn't talking about how many people wer eon the injury report, he was talking about games missed.
                sigpic
                Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
                  78 games were missed by players last year, the most in franchise history. he wasn't talking about how many people wer eon the injury report, he was talking about games missed.
                  Even still, it's a misleading stat.

You have two backup players out all season, that's 32 games right there. And Rod Smith was injured all year, put 16 games to that, and that's 48 games.

Again, I'm not disputing Shanahan's information, nor am I saying that injuries don't matter. I'm just saying that the injuries don't fully explain the consistent problems - like pressuring the QB, red zone offense, and special teams - that have plagued the Broncos for a few seasons now. The injuries more compounded those problems than led directly to them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Even still, it's a misleading stat.

You have two backup players out all season, that's 32 games right there. And Rod Smith was injured all year, put 16 games to that, and that's 48 games.

Again, I'm not disputing Shanahan's information, nor am I saying that injuries don't matter. I'm just saying that the injuries don't fully explain the consistent problems - like pressuring the QB, red zone offense, and special teams - that have plagued the Broncos for a few seasons now. The injuries more compounded those problems than led directly to them.
                    We also had the most games missed by starters in franchise history, so you can't say it wasn't that big of a factor.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Yeah, what a idiot for making such a asinine prediction. You can't just win with bailey,Bly, D.J. and Cutler. How can he guarantee playoffs before the pre-season?
                      Maybe it was a message to ownership, he better produce or else.
                      I wish the season would hurry up

Comment

Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
                        We also had the most games missed by starters in franchise history, so you can't say it wasn't that big of a factor.
                        Where am I saying it wasn't a big factor? No offense, but are you even reading my posts?

I'm saying that we've had pass rush issues, red zone issues, and special teams issues for YEARS now, and those were the main reasons why the team fell apart last year. The injuries COMPOUNDED those problems, but doesn't fully explain them. And we got out to a 2-3 start, with three losses in a row heading into the bye week, before the injuries really started to take effect, so it's not like our season was heading in the right direction from the get-go.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ARF View Post

Yeah, what a idiot for making such a asinine prediction. You can't just win with bailey,Bly, D.J. and Cutler. How can he guarantee playoffs before the pre-season?
                          Maybe it was a message to ownership, he better produce or else.
                          message to the ownership? do you know who mike shanahan is? lol... for all intents and purposes he does own the broncos, for that matter, he pretty much owns the raiders, too.

anyway, 7 days into camp you can already tell these guys are feeling them selves. last year i didn't see the same excitement and confidence. the defense is simplified and the players are much more enthused to be playing under slow. the offense has it's health, depth, and weapons... we already know how effective it can be.

i'm onboard with big mike... it's going to be a good year

Comment

Where am I saying it wasn't a big factor? No offense, but are you even reading my posts?

I'm saying that we've had pass rush issues, red zone issues, and special teams issues for YEARS now, and those were the main reasons why the team fell apart last year. The injuries COMPOUNDED those problems, but doesn't fully explain them. And we got out to a 2-3 start, with three losses in a row heading into the bye week, before the injuries really started to take effect, so it's not like our season was heading in the right direction from the get-go.
                            I partially agree with this post…I will say that lack of pass rush, red zone scoring (or lack thereof), and special teams have all been issues in the past. This is something we all know about…but in previous years these issues have not stopped us from getting to the playoffs (we had a good run when Plummer was at the helm). However injuries did play vital role (in my opinion). The staple of our offense for years has been the running game and our athletic O-Line which sustained many vital injuries last year. The loss of two pro-bowl caliber linemen (Tom Nalen, & Ben Hamilton) was huge and as you stated compounded other issues (such as poor play from our LT - Matt Lepsis who came back from injury).

We basically had a makeshift O-line last year, plus with the injuries to just about EVERY RB we played (Henry, Young, Hall - all sustained some sort of injury and missed time) caused us to have a moderate drop in our normal production in the running game. This affects other aspects of the game which includes the passing game (our play action won’t work as well if the other team is not afraid of our running game). As well as clock management…this is vital because in prior years we were used to controlling the game tempo by running the ball.

The other contributing factor to our sub-par season was the change in the defensive scheme…nothing to do with injuries but a contributing factory to our 7-9 record. This year with an improved defense, Jay Cutler in his 3rd year (and with out diabetes), hopefully a healthy O-Line, and no or limited injuries we should be able to improve our record to 10-6. 10 wins is usually the minimum number of wins to get your foot in the door for the Playoffs…unless you play in the NFC!

Thx,
                            Joe
                            To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garzjoe View Post
                              I partially agree with this post…I will say that lack of pass rush, red zone scoring (or lack thereof), and special teams have all been issues in the past. This is something we all know about…but in previous years these issues have not stopped us from getting to the playoffs (we had a good run when Plummer was at the helm). However injuries did play vital role (in my opinion). The staple of our offense for years has been the running game and our athletic O-Line which sustained many vital injuries last year. The loss of two pro-bowl caliber linemen (Tom Nalen, & Ben Hamilton) was huge and as you stated compounded other issues (such as poor play from our LT - Matt Lepsis who came back from injury).

We basically had a makeshift O-line last year, plus with the injuries to just about EVERY RB we played (Henry, Young, Hall - all sustained some sort of injury and missed time) caused us to have a moderate drop in our normal production in the running game. This affects other aspects of the game which includes the passing game (our play action won’t work as well if the other team is not afraid of our running game). As well as clock management…this is vital because in prior years we were used to controlling the game tempo by running the ball.

The other contributing factor to our sub-par season was the change in the defensive scheme…nothing to do with injuries but a contributing factory to our 7-9 record. This year with an improved defense, Jay Cutler in his 3rd year (and with out diabetes), hopefully a healthy O-Line, and no or limited injuries we should be able to improve our record to 10-6. 10 wins is usually the minimum number of wins to get your foot in the door for the Playoffs…unless you play in the NFC!

Thx,
                              Joe
                              Except we apparently didn't have these many injuries in '06, and still missed the playoffs....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X