Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shanny Alll But Gurantees the Playoffs..104....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Except we apparently didn't have these many injuries in '06, and still missed the playoffs....
    No. We just had a defense that was in complete tatters by the end of the year. Come on, Mojo. Call a spade a spade.

In the other thread, you mention "benching Jake Plummer in the middle of a playoff push," which is laughable and absurd. 100 yards per game and 10 points does NOT get teams to the playoffs, and that's what we were averaging, even with our 7-4 record. Cutler came in and immediately ALL PASSING CATEGORIES WENT UP. But you are going to have growing pains with a rookie QB. You just ARE.

Seems you're content with making the playoffs and getting destroyed in the first round. Which is precisely what would have happened.
    In Manning I trust.

Comment

fired up

I was glad to hear him say that...it was so UNshanny like...can't wait for the season to start so we can get this playoff season under away

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
        No. We just had a defense that was in complete tatters by the end of the year. Come on, Mojo. Call a spade a spade.

In the other thread, you mention "benching Jake Plummer in the middle of a playoff push," which is laughable and absurd. 100 yards per game and 10 points does NOT get teams to the playoffs, and that's what we were averaging, even with our 7-4 record. Cutler came in and immediately ALL PASSING CATEGORIES WENT UP. But you are going to have growing pains with a rookie QB. You just ARE.

Seems you're content with making the playoffs and getting destroyed in the first round. Which is precisely what would have happened.
        I think that the Giants proved last season that once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen, and that you should at least get there and see what happens. Yes, I would have preferred to sit Jay for the remainder of '06, made the playoffs, see what would have happened, and gone from there. I think it was a poor decision, and several media outlets agree with me, even those that are very behind and supportive of Jay Cutler.
        sigpic

Comment

Except we apparently didn't have these many injuries in '06, and still missed the playoffs....
          Comparing last year to 06 is comparing apples to oranges. As you know the issue in 06 was an anemic offense in the beginning of the year which subsequently resulted in Shanny pulling the trigger and inserting Jay Cutler as starter a little more than halfway through the season (his rookie year by the way). Shanny made the change in order to give us our best shot to make the playoffs but not everything fell into place.

This midseason change did have positive results as there was an increase in yards and points on the offense end. However Jay still made some rookie mistakes that cost us some games we should have won (Seattle & San Fran Game)…however Jay was not the only one to blame. 06 was the year that the Defense played LIGHTS OUT for the 1st half of the season and in the 2nd half of the season they started to wear down and gave up more points then we were scoring.

So you are right the 06 year did not have many major injuries that hindered our teams chances of making he playoffs…we were dealing with other issues.

Thx,
          Joe
          To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garzjoe View Post
            Comparing last year to 06 is comparing apples to oranges. As you know the issue in 06 was an anemic offense in the beginning of the year which subsequently resulted in Shanny pulling the trigger and inserting Jay Cutler as starter a little more than halfway through the season (his rookie year by the way). Shanny made the change in order to give us our best shot to make the playoffs but not everything fell into place.

This midseason change did have positive results as there was an increase in yards and points on the offense end. However Jay still made some rookie mistakes that cost us some games we should have won (Seattle & San Fran Game)…however Jay was not the only one to blame. 06 was the year that the Defense played LIGHTS OUT for the 1st half of the season and in the 2nd half of the season they started to wear down and gave up more points then we were scoring.

So you are right the 06 year did not have many major injuries that hindered our teams chances of making he playoffs…we were dealing with other issues.

Thx,
            Joe
            But we were still on the path to the playoffs until Jake was benched.

I'm not saying Jake is better than Jay. I don't believe that. But I believe it was wrong to sacrifice the playoffs for a wild card, rather than sticking with the vet the entire team was behind.
            sigpic

Comment

But we were still on the path to the playoffs until Jake was benched.

I'm not saying Jake is better than Jay. I don't believe that. But I believe it was wrong to sacrifice the playoffs for a wild card, rather than sticking with the vet the entire team was behind.
              Only if you are wanting to look at the 'stat' of how many times you been to the playoffs. We weren't a playoff caliber team and certainly weren't in the path of going to the SB that season. So if its important to you to say "we went to the playoffs".. .. then yes.. it was the wrong decision.

But thats not the goal for Shanahan and Bowlen. 'getting to" the playoffs isn't their goal, and don't care about people that look at the stats on "going to the playoffs" as their measuring stick.

Not to mention the offense improved with the rookie at QB and was scoring more points per game with Cutler than we were with Jake.

Comment

Are you kidding?

The season started falling apart when we lost Brandon and Ferguson, Wilson got hurt (huge), Rod Smith was a shell of himself with an injured hip as well (there were other injuries, but these were key).

2006 didn't have near the injury bug that 2007 did, but you can trace the falloff in production to injuries throughout the year.

In fact, the Broncos were ahead in the game vs the Chargers at home before we lost Brandon and Ferguson, SD exploited that hole and won that game.

Even Indy was not the powerhouse they have been with the loss of Harrison, as well as others last year. It only takes a few injuries to a few key players to really impact a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                  Only if you are wanting to look at the 'stat' of how many times you been to the playoffs. We weren't a playoff caliber team and certainly weren't in the path of going to the SB that season. So if its important to you to say "we went to the playoffs".. .. then yes.. it was the wrong decision.

But thats not the goal for Shanahan and Bowlen. 'getting to" the playoffs isn't their goal, and don't care about people that look at the stats on "going to the playoffs" as their measuring stick.

Not to mention the offense improved with the rookie at QB and was scoring more points per game with Cutler than we were with Jake.
                  No one felt the Giants were a playoff caliber team last season, and they defeated the undefeatable Patriots in the Super Bowl. And Manning had a terrible season, as well.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                    Are you kidding?

The season started falling apart when we lost Brandon and Ferguson, Wilson got hurt (huge), Rod Smith was a shell of himself with an injured hip as well (there were other injuries, but these were key).

2006 didn't have near the injury bug that 2007 did, but you can trace the falloff in production to injuries throughout the year.

In fact, the Broncos were ahead in the game vs the Chargers at home before we lost Brandon and Ferguson, SD exploited that hole and won that game.

Even Indy was not the powerhouse they have been with the loss of Harrison, as well as others last year. It only takes a few injuries to a few key players to really impact a season.
                    But our injuries in '06 apparently don't compare to '07, otherwise Shanahan would have pulled out that stat at the end of '06.

Obviously, Shanahan feels injuries were an issue last season, whereas he didn't feel that in '06. Did injuries hurt us? Possibly. But obviously two seasons in a row, we've missed the playoffs. You can't continue using the injury card each and every season.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hambone13 View Post
                      Did anyone hear Shanny on The Fan this morning? I know everyone talks crap about 104.3 but they do get great interviews. He was on for almost a half an hour.

One way or the other, he said, definitively, "We will not miss the playoffs this season". He never makes comments like that. I guarantee, he doesn't want to lose his most significant statistic, never more than 2 losing seasons, ever.

The most interesting thing to me during the interview is that he seemed to be truly fired up. He felt genuinely excited. I haven't heard him be that candid in years. I loved it, I was fired up! Your thoughts?
                      i think with the ted firing, he has to make this statement because he knows the alternative is probably his firing

so it's playoffs or bust for you guys

writing is on the wall, that is a TON of pressure on denver
                      sigpic

Comment

But our injuries in '06 apparently don't compare to '07, otherwise Shanahan would have pulled out that stat at the end of '06.

Obviously, Shanahan feels injuries were an issue last season, whereas he didn't feel that in '06. Did injuries hurt us? Possibly. But obviously two seasons in a row, we've missed the playoffs. You can't continue using the injury card each and every season.
                        Why not if it's true?

You don't think losing Lepsis and Wilson hurt in 06? Injuries did play a big part in the downturn in 06. Not nearly as much as 07, but it definately was a big factor.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                          i think with the ted firing, he has to make this statement because he knows the alternative is probably his firing

so it's playoffs or bust for you guys

writing is on the wall, that is a TON of pressure on denver
                          If you think Bowlen is going to fire Shanahan for simply missing the playoffs, you don't know Bowlen very well.

If the team was well below .500, and Shanahan completely fell on his face, I'd expect Shanahan to be on the hot seat after this year.

If they simply miss the playoffs but still make foward progress, Shanahan will have nothing to worry about.

Bowlen makes the HC decisions, not the media, and thank goodness not this board!

Comment

No one felt the Giants were a playoff caliber team last season, and they defeated the undefeatable Patriots in the Super Bowl. And Manning had a terrible season, as well.

I loved the move to replace Plummer..and was thrilled with it.. and haven't looked back since.

Comment

I still don't get why so many fans of this team doubt Shanny after all these years. Are you all honestly telling me this team is worse than a few that made the playoffs under him before? We have a ton of talent and now that talent all is starting to have experience in the league.

Last year wasn't a losing season only because of injuries. It was injuries and youth. We had a QB with only 5 starts before last season. A number 1 receiver with about the same. An o-line with tons of youth because all of our veterans went down. We had a young tackle, guard, and center all thrown in throughout the year. Injuries to the d-line, linebackers, and safeties. We also had a lot of youth in all of those spots as well, other than linebacker where we played with some backups and a washed up Gold. Our starting RB went down pretty early and that left us with a couple of undrafted guys to carry the load.

I just don't get why people act as though last season has anything to do with how well this team can play this season. People act as though our entire team is going to get injured every season.

Comment

Originally posted by ARF View Post

Yeah, what a idiot for making such a asinine prediction. You can't just win with bailey,Bly, D.J. and Cutler. How can he guarantee playoffs before the pre-season?
                                Maybe it was a message to ownership, he better produce or else.

Yeah, good thing for us we will have 49 other professional, highly trained athletes who are valuable enough to recieve 6 & 7 figure salaries on the roster when opening day rolls around, or those 4 guys would be really tired at the end of games, huh?

I do tend to agree guaranteeing playoffs when there has yet to even be a preseason snap is pretty much blowing warm sunshine. However he has to say something, doesnt he? Would "Oh man, we are SCREWED" be a better thing to hear? I'd prefer the man at the helm have confidence & I'm glad Shanny has it.

Believing you are going to win is no guarantee you will win. Believing you are going to lose is a guarantee you will lose.

T777
                                "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X