Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whic is our worst unit (excl. QBs and special teams)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whic is our worst unit (excl. QBs and special teams)?

See previous thread re: Best Unit.....
    Oline
    15.22%
    RBs
    6.52%
    Receivers
    4.35%
    Dline
    52.17%
    LBs
    19.57%
    Dbacks
    2.17%
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-04-2008, 08:55 AM.

currently its FB and second string qb. sapp is sloppy, pittman is a coverted FB and hillis has yet to get enough reps. Ramsey looks like a lost puppy out there. these are the two spots i am pretty concerned with right now.

Comment

D Line, until they prove there is not a problem there, I will assume there is. Every year I get my hopes up with the D Line and I end up dissapointed...maybe this is the year that will change my opionion
      Josh McD support since 2009
      Broncos fan since 1979

Comment

it has to be dline seeing as how bad they were last year and have not proven they have gotten any better this year
        sigpic
        -------

Comment

Dline worst...

Looks like the Dline needs to prove itself. I still think this is the year for a significant improvement. If DRob and some of the vets can mentor and motivate the "young ones", watch for the d stats to improve rapidly. Like the other poll, no clear cut choice for 2nd "worst". To be fair, 2nd worst isn't really a fitting description (too strong)...shall we say, needs some improvement. For me, I still see a need to upgrade the LB position, especially at MLB. Again, another high pick in 09.

Comment

I can't say Dline, because I have no idea what they will be like (no one does). As I put in another thread, 2nd year players have statistically shown 46% improvement from year one to year two (the ones that actually stick in the NFL). With Thomas, Crowder, Moss, and to a lesser extent Petersen. I do not know yet what we are going to get from those 4. DRob is a ? and EE (who was our best DE in 2005) is too. I think the system fits our personnel better, so we have to wait and see.

I went with Oline. We have no idea how Harris and Clady will play. I am sure that Clady will be an improvement over a gimpy Lepsis who was just horrible last year. At worse we have Pears at RT again, so if Harris wins the job that should be an improvement.

I think last year we had pretty much a 2nd string line with Kuper, Pears, Lepsis (may have been a 3rd string performance) and Myers (a good back up, but not really starting material IMO). Holland was the only guy I could seriously say would start for another team. Until guys like Clady, Harris, Kuper, and Nalen (shows he can play at the same level) show it on the field, this is our weakest area. It could however, turn out to be a strength.

One group that does scare me is LB. Boss has never been more than average in his career. Webster/Niko may both turn out to be exceptional backups at best. DJ should be solid back at WSLB, but he may be gone after this year. The worse case scenario is we need three new LBs next year, although I am still very high on Larsen (I think he dominates the first preseason game, he has always been a big time game day player).

On the flip side, I think we have a great group at WR, RB, and TE...if the oline plays better than last year, we will score in bunches.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
            J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
            R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Why exclude special teams? I think that mentality's the reason our special teams suck so bad. For most teams, special teams just go out and do their job, but when our's consistantly gives our opponents the 40 yd line, it is a significant factor in our problems.
              Last edited by SkyFlash1; 08-04-2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyFlash1 View Post
                Why exclude special teams? I think that mentality's the reason our special teams suck so bad. For most teams, special teams just go out and do their job, but when our's consistantly gives our opponents the 40 yd line, it is a significant factor in our problems.
                Good question! I just felt that some or many of us are not familiar enough to discuss this group (ie. who are these guys?), and I also wanted to isolate ratings on the regular units.

And yes, I agree that field position haunted us for the last few years. I am convinced it will be better going forward, but how much is the question. I think we would all give this area an "I" for improvement.

Comment

Quarterbacks

Don't see it as an option up there, but Ramsey doesn't look strong and although Hackney has looked better than Ramsey... Who knows if he'll be able to do it in a real game, he makes our defensive line look like they are Yao Ming or Shaquille O'Neal sometimes. Maybe he's too short?
                  I am Ian from BroncoTalk.net
                  Official Member of Team:
                  Champ Bailey and Lance Ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    Don't see it as an option up there, but Ramsey doesn't look strong and although Hackney has looked better than Ramsey... Who knows if he'll be able to do it in a real game, he makes our defensive line look like they are Yao Ming or Shaquille O'Neal sometimes. Maybe he's too short?
                    Didn't use QBs as a category, as I felt that most of us like Jay and I didn't see Jay as a weak spot. So I figured I'd leave QBs out, as it appears that QBacking, a long as Jay is healthy, is a known commodity. But you raise a good comentary on the total QB package, and whether or not we have depth. Lets pray that Jay is spared any type of downtime.

Comment

When I was arguing with a charger fan I ran the rankings from last year . It was painfully obvious where we lacked.The defense Was plain to see but on offense our special teams just sucked. Our guys outranked the bolts everywhere but putting the pig in the blanket. But we're gonna do it this year. Not all the way but we'll be getting some respect back.
                      Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Question to Dline "Concerned" Folks

Based on results so far, the Dline is our weak spot. What should we have done to correct this situation? Free Agency? High draft pick? Trade?

Comment

Defensive Line? Followed by Offensive Line? Running Back is in the mix as well.

Anyone that says otherwise is a tad bit confused I think.

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
                            I think our backs worry me the most right now. I like Selvin Young, and I can see him being good, but I can't really see him being great. I have high hopes for Hillis, but you never know with a seventh-round pick. Pittman's not a natural fullback, Sapp is nothing special, and the backup RBs just don't excite me. I'm always open to being surprised, though.
                            Lets hope Young improves and Torain picks up the slack. But I agree, the other guys are all role players, and we need someone or a couple of guys to turnaround our running game, because without it, our offense will be in jeopardy.

Comment

I actually went with linebacker. Too much turnover and confusion there. D-Line should be improved dramatically this year (over a pitiful line from last year).

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Working...
                              X