Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Else Tired of Engelberger Starting at DE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Else Tired of Engelberger Starting at DE?

In today's NFL, a player has to be more than a one-dimensional threat. Engelberger is solid against he run, not great, and has absolutely zero pass rushing skill. In passing situations, opposing offenses know that John will easily be neutralized at the line of scrimmage and will put their TE out to help out against Dumervil/Moss, and the rest of the o-line can concentrate on stopping D.Robertson and Marcus Thomas/co. Our pass rush will be weak if team's can continue that scheme successfuly. Tim Crowder is solid against the run and pass, at least there is a chance that he can get to the QB. Jarvis Moss is also reported to be improving against the run and we all know that he has the ability to get in the backfield. So why are they stuck behind an average aging vet?

IMO his only place is in goalline situations. Otherwise, John Engelberger should only be on the field in obvious run situations, and there is no such thing in the modern game.

while i do agree that he probably shouldn't be starting, you have to realize that dumervil is basically one demensional as well, but nobody's complaining about him because everyone loves a great pass rusher but run stoppers are underrated. that fact aside, i still think that ekuban should be starting when hes healthy. shannahan probably just wants to push moss and crowder and hopefully they beat out engleburger before regular season startrs.
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
      while i do agree that he probably shouldn't be starting, you have to realize that dumervil is basically one demensional as well, but nobody's complaining about him because everyone loves a great pass rusher but run stoppers are underrated. that fact aside, i still think that ekuban should be starting when hes healthy. shannahan probably just wants to push moss and crowder and hopefully they beat out engleburger before regular season startrs.
      Agree. Engelberger is a solid DE, granted his pass rush is not that good but I am suprised that Ekuban is not starting. It's funny that Dumervill is very one dimensional and the one area our team sucked at was last year was run defense so I would think a guy who is a better run stopper (Engelberger) would start so maybe that is why.

Comment

I was hoping Doom would progress against the run last year. I think teams might be willing to spend some money for a good pass rush guy when his contract is up. Letting him go would suck a big one.

I don't like Engelberger either, but that's why we drafted Moss and Crowder. It's time for them to take over.

Comment

I've always been a supporter of John. He's not a great pass rusher, no. But he holds up very well against the run which is our focus this year. He did an ok job last year considering he had next to no DT help and played on a separated shoulder throughout the season.

As for the whole one-dimensional thing...Doom is one dimensional so really, if you have such a problem with John you should have a problem with Elvis. John's job will probably be taken by Crowder next year, but for this season I have no problem with him starting.
          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

No, not really. He's our most experienced DE who can stop the run currently. Ekuban is too, but he's coming back from an serious injury. So I think Mike wants to take his time with Ekuban.

What's wrong with having a solid run stopper though. Wasn't that why Denver lost so many games last year, because we couldn't stop the run. Sure you want Crowder to be starting, but Mike doesn't want rush him and pressure him yet. Let him prove he can dominate against lesser talent first.

Comment

Yes I am tired of it but it just goes to show you the lack of talent we have on the defensive line.

Seriously how many other rosters in the league would this guy even be on? Much less starting for.
              sigpic

Comment

He isnt that great against the run.He started most of last year and we still got trampled so its not like he is going to single handily stop runners.On any other team I think he would be a back up.

Comment

I agree I think its a joke that he is starting

Comment

i think he would rotate not start. Moss should start RE with dumervil rotating, Crowder can play LE with ekuban rotating. marcus thomas and robertson playin DT with mallard and ekuban play DT on passing downs and dumervil and moss playin DE. that would be sick

Comment

Originally posted by Morningplastic View Post
                      He isnt that great against the run.He started most of last year and we still got trampled so its not like he is going to single handily stop runners.On any other team I think he would be a back up.
                      Two issues I have with your post: he had very little help from his DTs last season. All our DEs were left quite exposed and considering that our DEs aren't the biggest guys, it's easy to see why they got shat on. Secondly, Engleberger played the entirety of last season with a separated shoulder. Type 5 to be precise which usually requires surgery. To start every game of a season in the trenches with a shoulder injury is no mean feat and it's pretty easy to see that that would negatively affect his game.
                      sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

I have a couple of thoughts on this depth chart.

First, when you read it you have to remember that it is in no way the final depth chart that the Broncos will go into the season with. If there is someone that I like listed as a starter, it does not mean that they won't be replaced with some one who show more in practice. If someone is listed that I think sucks, poor play will get him replaced in a New York minute.

Second, Shanahan over the last decade has always shown that he will put his best available players on the field. He doesn't care if they were first round picks, free agents, or someone the fans were against. It is an open competion and the man who practices best plays.

This depth chart while interesting to discuss has little relevence. It is like a weather forecast in Wyoming. Half the time it is correct and half the time it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post

This depth chart while interesting to discuss has little relevence. It is like a weather forecast in Wyoming. Half the time it is correct and half the time it isn't.
                          I agree with you Dean. Back in my younger days of playing, it was just to let you know how you're doing whether you need to step up or that you have met goals. This chart will totally be different in the next 5 weeks.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                          2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
                            Two issues I have with your post: he had very little help from his DTs last season. All our DEs were left quite exposed and considering that our DEs aren't the biggest guys, it's easy to see why they got shat on. Secondly, Engleberger played the entirety of last season with a separated shoulder. Type 5 to be precise which usually requires surgery. To start every game of a season in the trenches with a shoulder injury is no mean feat and it's pretty easy to see that that would negatively affect his game.
                            I actually agree with everything you said I still would prefer for him to not be in on passing downs. It would take him the same amount of time to sack a qb as it would for Sam Adams to reach the top of the empire state building.

Comment

I think if Engelberger is starting that means other's have not stepped up enough, and that actually concerns me more

I guess Engelberger is the default DE and it's up to someone to show Shanahan / Broncos that they are better

Comment

Working...
                              X