X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Broncos are glad to have Dre Bly

Broncos glad to have Bly in their corner
    'Most competitive guy on this team' ready for encore

He is the surprise answer to a rather basic question. The one that asks: Who, exactly, led the Broncos in interceptions in 2007?

Was it Champ Bailey, all-everything cornerback ?

Uh, no.

"You know when you finish the year, there's always some plays you want back, and I had that, too, it's just everybody saw the ones I want back on national TV," Broncos cornerback Dre Bly said. "But I thought I had a pretty good year front to back, and I think I can have a better one in this defense."

Yes, it was Bly, with five interceptions, who led the Broncos last season. It was his first year with the team after the Broncos had surrendered two starters heading for backup roles -- running back Tatum Bell and tackle George Foster -- as well as a swap of picks in the 2007 draft.

Yes, it was Bly who then was awarded a five-year, $33 million contract by the Broncos to be the guy on the toasty seat in the Denver secondary.

Because when it comes to throwing the ball against the Broncos secondary, most teams follow but one commandment: Thou shalt not throw against Champ Bailey, unless it is really necessary or you simply have made a mistake.

"And anybody who is opposite a Hall of Fame corner is always going to feel pressure," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "Quarterbacks are going to go away from Champ, and Dre's always going to get more shots. That comes with the territory. Some guys embrace it; a guy like Dre, I believe, embraces it, and he has to."

"One thing about Dre, he is probably the most competitive guy on this team," Bailey said. "He probably just knew he was going to get some action when he came here, probably more than any other time in his career. We talked about it a lot. But he looks forward to that, he relishes that opportunity."

Falling short

That he does, Bly agreed, but he also knows in and among the team's defensive struggles in 2007 -- assistant head coach/defense Jim Bates was replaced by Bob Slowik because of them -- were the lofty expectations Bly would give the Broncos a matched set of Pro Bowl lockdown cornerbacks immediately upon his arrival.

A pair that simply would reel in the interceptions, interceptions that never really came as predicted, even as the Broncos surrendered a bulky 25 passing touchdowns -- none replayed more than the 82-yard missile launch Brett Favre made to Greg Jennings, over Bly, in a Packers overtime win on Monday Night Football in October.

"Overall, there are always going to be some things you do wrong, or you don't do as well," Bly said. "And I know there were some touchdowns I was responsible for that I haven't given up in the past, but being in the system and the scheme that we were using, the play was made.

"We just gave up too many passing touchdowns. But people don't see what goes on in the trenches, or what doesn't work, they see what goes on in the back end. And a passing touchdown is an easy way, a fast way to score points and everybody sees it."

Bly said he and Bailey were under orders last season to "just play over the top" which basically means drop deep, don't let any receivers behind you and cover inside out, from the middle of the field toward the sideline.

All while the defense often struggled to consistently rush the passer and to consistently defend the run.

"It was basically give up the outs, and the shorter stuff, just don't get beat deep, but pretty much this year we'll mix in some things," Bly said. "But our first priority is to dominate the run. We were bad in the run last year; that's our main focus, that's what we've been emphasizing and I just think -- we're involved, too, at corner -- that we know if we're going to the playoffs, we have to deal with the run a lot better than we did last year."

Bly said he believes the Broncos defense, under Slowik, will rush the passer with more regularity. Getting Dewayne Robertson will help, Bly said.

The cornerback also believes Denver has spent much of the offseason and a big part of training camp reasserting a commitment to run defense.

"(Slowik) wants everybody involved in that, and that means me and Champ, too," Bly said. "I just think quarterbacks are going to have a harder time settling in back there if the offense can't run the ball every time they want to."

Better with age?

Having turned 31 in May, Bly also now teams with Bailey to form a rarity in defensive circles. They are entering their 10th season at a position where youthful speed often, and usually, trumps experience.

Bly said he believes he has maintained most of the speed that made him a second-round pick in the 1999 draft, but he also saves steps these days.

"I can read offenses and I can read plays so much better than I could in my first three, four years in the league," Bly said. "I'm not getting any faster, I'm not getting quicker -- I don't feel like I've lost anything, but I ain't getting anymore to add on, either -- so you have to improve your awareness, because it can give you an extra step."

Bly also said he is far more cognizant of his maintaining flexibility now that he has crossed into 30-something territory, bringing in a physical therapist he used in St. Louis a few times a year to work through a stretching routine, as well as running more and lifting weights less in his workouts.

"I know routes, I know releases," Bly said. "Having great awareness in a lot of situations can carry you a long way.

"People say I guess and this and that, well . . . I tell people if I guess, I need to go to damn Vegas because I'm a great guesser, because maybe I'm not guessing since I've been intercepting balls my whole life.

"It ain't like I've been exposed my whole life back there. I intercepted the ball in high school, and nobody in college intercepted more balls than I did (at North Carolina, where he set the Atlantic Coast Conference record with 20). I intercept it in the NFL. I know I can get the ball, and I'm going to show it again this year."
    I'm sure the change of defensive scheme will automatically help the corners out very much, yet I still get a little jumpy when the ball is thrown Dre's way.

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    I'm sure the change of defensive scheme will automatically help the corners out very much, yet I still get a little jumpy when the ball is thrown Dre's way.
    I dont understand the Bly doubters, the guy is solid. Would you feel more comfortable with Foxy/Paymah? No corner is perfect not even #24. I was at a game a few years ago in Cincy when Baily got torched by Johnson for 6 should we feel jumpy about him to?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnickell View Post
      I dont understand the Bly doubters, the guy is solid. Would you feel more comfortable with Foxy/Paymah? No corner is perfect not even #24. I was at a game a few years ago in Cincy when Baily got torched by Johnson for 6 should we feel jumpy about him to?
      Of course not.

I'm not saying Bly didn't make ANY plays for the team last year...

He's stated that "since college, I've been intercepting balls left and right. I hold some record, yadda yadda".

Good for you Dre, now tell everyone why your nickname is "toast."

Comment

Originally posted by tnickell View Post
        YOu are right, and Bly played VERY solid last year. The "doubters" usaully try to bring up the Green Bay game..... yet Champ got burned just as badly if not worse in that same game. Its just 'easier' to complain about Bly than Champ.

You are right.... would we HONESTLy feel better with Foxworth or Paymah starting at corner??? EACH AND EVERY WEEEK... people were MAJORLY complaining about Williams getting beat when he was starting.

Bly is NOT the best tackler... heck,he's not even very good at it at all... But I'm Very glad we have a 2nd qb as quality as Bly on our team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
          YOu are right, and Bly played VERY solid last year. The "doubters" usaully try to bring up the Green Bay game..... yet Champ got burned just as badly if not worse in that same game. Its just 'easier' to complain about Bly than Champ.

You are right.... would we HONESTLy feel better with Foxworth or Paymah starting at corner??? EACH AND EVERY WEEEK... people were MAJORLY complaining about Williams getting beat when he was starting.

Bly is NOT the best tackler... heck,he's not even very good at it at all... But I'm Very glad we have a 2nd qb as quality as Bly on our team.
          I agree,I am happy with Bly, if someone brings up the Green bay game they should bring up the Steeler game when he played with a broken arm, got an interception and believe he could of gotten another one but he dropped it.

Comment

LOL at that article.

I'm guessing Foxworth is the starter by week 5 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
              LOL at that article.

LOL at your post.. I'll take that bet LOL

Comment

LOL at that article.

Hmmm.... I just re-read the article and I didn't see the funny parts.

Comment

Bly is solid. Like it has been said no corner is perfect, I know we're all in love with Champ but it seems he's been getting burnt just as much as Bly. At least last year. Maybe it was the scheme, but we'll see. Anyway, Bly is solid, the only people I want underestimating this guy are the opposing teams qb's and OQ's.
                  sigpic
                  2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Corners get burnt thats what happens, it is the hardest position on the defensive side of the ball if not the hardest on the team. Bly is a solid #2 but with age you lose a step and from the sound of it Foxy is out performing everyone in camp EVERYONE that includes champ and shanahan will play the best player so i say by week 5 or 6 Foxy plays everydown. And if you want to bring up the green bay game dre got beat by Greg Jennings and Champ got beat by James Jones you take your pick whose the better receiver.

*R.I.P Darrent Williams and Damien Nash you will never be forgotten*

Comment

Originally posted by KatieElway7 View Post
                      Hmmm.... I just re-read the article and I didn't see the funny parts.
                      Whats funny is that Bly sounds a lot like Marlon McCree after the 2006 season. Cocky as hell and unapologetic despite screwing up in the biggest game of the year.

The Broncos pass defense was not good last year. I realize that part of that was the lack of a consistent pass-rush. I also know that Champ was playing hurt and Lynch was a step slow. But For Bly to act like he's the man after surrendering a lot of TD's is pretty comical to me. You guys know your team better than I do, but I just wouldn't be surprised if Foxworth took over this year, since Bly is at the age where CB's frequently lose a step. And he looked a step slow to me last year.

Comment

Whats funny is that Bly sounds a lot like Marlon McCree after the 2006 season. Cocky as hell and unapologetic despite screwing up in the biggest game of the year.

The Broncos pass defense was not good last year. I realize that part of that was the lack of a consistent pass-rush. I also know that Champ was playing hurt and Lynch was a step slow. But For Bly to act like he's the man after surrendering a lot of TD's is pretty comical to me. You guys know your team better than I do, but I just wouldn't be surprised if Foxworth took over this year, since Bly is at the age where CB's frequently lose a step. And he looked a step slow to me last year.
                        I think your just jealous that you dont have Bly on your team
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't think he's cocky, just confident, which is a good thing. It's possible Foxy could step up though.

Comment

Yea Marlon Mcree had a huge fumble against the Pats, but what about the next year against the Colts? I seem to remember a big hit he put on Reggie Wayne that ended the game and pretty much sent you packing to the AFC Championship game....

And LT is around the same age and is in his last good years at runningback
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broooks77 View Post
                              I think your just jealous that you dont have Bly on your team
                              I wish Quentin Jammer had Dre Bly's hands and ball skills.

But most Charger fans are pretty comfortable with Jammer and Cro. Of course, I'll be the first to admit that the Chargers pass rush and deep safety support makes them look a little better than they really are.

Comment

Working...
                              X