ADVANCED Offense/Defense....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVANCED Offense/Defense....

Just wanted to ask.....when do you think we will have an offense and defense where we make different audibles/checks based on what the other team is doing? How long has it been since we've actually done an audible on offense? Or react with a different play/lineup on defense when the opposing offense calls an audible?

I'm tired of just basic offense/defense when teams like the Colts clearly have a higher understanding of how to beat a defense based on how they are lined up.
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
    Just wanted to ask.....when do you think we will have an offense and defense where we make different audibles/checks based on what the other team is doing? How long has it been since we've actually done an audible on offense? Or react with a different play/lineup on defense when the opposing offense calls an audible?

I'm tired of just basic offense/defense when teams like the Colts clearly have a higher understanding of how to beat a defense based on how they are lined up.
    I have no idea but the reasons why the colts can do that is because Peyton's whole life is football. He basically studies it 24/7
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broooks77 View Post
      I have no idea but the reasons why the colts can do that is because Peyton's whole life is football. He basically studies it 24/7
      but everybody on the team obviously knows what he's talking about when he makes all those motions. Even rookies like Gonzalez and Ugoh was on the same page with them
      dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

but everybody on the team obviously knows what he's talking about when he makes all those motions. Even rookies like Gonzalez and Ugoh was on the same page with them
        The basis of the Colts offense is the no-huddle...they have set plays that Peyton alters each time he's at the line based on the defense.

The Broncos, like the rest of the NFL, make personel decisions before they even walk to the line...

Probably why the Colts are so versatile on offense...
        Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO View Post
          The basis of the Colts offense is the no-huddle...they have set plays that Peyton alters each time he's at the line based on the defense.

The Broncos, like the rest of the NFL, make personel decisions before they even walk to the line...

Probably why the Colts are so versatile on offense...
          I can see the Broncos able to run a no huddle in the hear future. Cutler has the head for it if Shanny can get to the point where he has enough faith in him.

I'd love to see it used here to an extent... but time will tell.
          Thanks, Reid!
          sigpic
          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Shannahan can do the schemes no doubt, Cutler can execute very well to, I think it is just amatter of having the rest of the right personell on the field to make it a viable option. You have Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison and a good tight end coupled with a stable running game you can pull it off. I just don't know if we have the full compliment of players yet in order to do it in Denver.
            The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Probably won't happen in Denver. (Then again.....it might some day.)

Even Peyton and his offense can be stopped. The better teams have been able to stop Peyton. Good defensive coordinators have had some success against Peyton and the Colts.

For me, it isn't the no huddle or the audible calls that makes the system work. It is having great personnel executing great/good play calls.
              Emancipate your mind!
              The People's Poster

Comment

Am I the only one finding it a little sad that we're having a conversation about something that 70% of all high school and 100% of all NFL teams do? Wondering when the Denver Broncos are going to implement it?

I'm not insulting the OP at all, so please don't read it that way. However, think back to the first game last season or the game against Green Bay; Especially the Buffalo game, when Cutler led the team down the field, do you remember them stopping much to huddle?

Of course there are audibles, of course there are defensive adjustments... Yeah, it would be lovely to see Cutler commanding the field like Peyton Manning, but I'm not even sure if anyone's capable of doing that besides Manning.

If anything, I'd like to see Mike Shanahan more aggressive with his offensive play calling. I guess with Cutler having one more year under his belt, Shanahan will have more confidence to call the long bomb or not run the ball on third and six.
                I am Ian from BroncoTalk.net
                Official Member of Team:
                Champ Bailey and Lance Ball.

Comment

What are you talking about? Ron Jaworski pointed out on just HOW IMPRESSED he was with Jay Cutler because Mike Shanahan makes a different game plan that involves different plays and different formation each and EVERY week!!

When was the last time we did an audible on offense?? Hmmmm.. I think we do them all the time. Where are you getting this info that we don't audible?? How do you think Cutler runs a two minute offense with no audibles? What do you mean "react with a different defense when the other teams calls an audible?" How do you do that, Lava? how do you know when their audibles are called exactly and what the audible that is called? Do you change everything your defense has set up (personnel, blitzes, stunts and coverage) based on a guess on the audible of another team? Do you REALLY think the defense doesn't adjust to different offensive formations and changes? Thats High School football, Lava.

Of course we adjust to audibles that we are able to pick up, or change in formations. Of course we anticipate the changes the offense makes, and/or guess on the audibles called.

I honestly find it humorous that you don't see this happening on the field.

Comment

We run the ball a lot so other than a 2 minute drill we don`t need the no huddle.Also take into account all the young players on offense.

Comment

Are you asking about a no huddle or any audible? There is not a team in the NFL that doesn't use audibles. We did so in every game last year on both sides of the ball.
                      KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                        Are you asking about a no huddle or any audible? There is not a team in the NFL that doesn't use audibles. We did so in every game last year on both sides of the ball.

There has been exceptions, I think Brian Griese contract stated he couldnt call audibles when he was here in denver. Not sure about that, but I recall that.

Comment

NFL QBs have the luxury of ...

.. a helmet radio.

Anyone who has ever sent plays into the offensive huddle via a player (e.g., X/WR) knows that for HS kids the play call better be short or bonehead will forget some of it by the time he gets to the huddle. We'd get the play call up in the box and then see how the kids actually lined up and what they did.

The football team at my HS has been running a no huddle O for years now. Makes it much easier to get the play off for sure. Play gets in by hand signal or number (wrist band). In the playoffs last year the whole team had wrist bands and just lined up, looked at the sideline and got set. It was hilarious to see a bunch of HS players simultaneously look at the sideline, then their wrists, then get set and run a play.

I'm sure the Broncos do much pre-snap reading and checking even if it doesn't seem that way. A lot goes on on both sides of the ball in the moments between breaking the offensive huddle and the snap of the ball. No huddle is a great way to go and keeps the D from doing as much substitution. It does give all the offensive players more time to study the defensive alignment. In the NFL there must be just one guy watching the opponent's O to see who is coming and going so the D has as good a personnel package as possible not to mention the normal rotational substitution for the DL.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I like Aiman's take on audibles where he said something to the affect of:

"It doesn't matter if the other team even knew what play we were going to run, we knew we would out excute them and it would be successful"

There's something to be said for going simple and just doing it better than the other guy.

Comment

Originally posted by 1sconorbrevned View Post
                              There has been exceptions, I think Brian Griese contract stated he couldnt call audibles when he was here in denver. Not sure about that, but I recall that.
                              I would make a bet thats not true. Thats ridiculous, and you would NOT want your QB going out onto the field without the ability to call and audible. Not to mention, the reason Griese was given the job over Brister was the fact that he was able to understand the system much better and faster than Brister did. He was a SMART QB. So I don't think there is any truth to that whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                              X