No announcement yet.

ADVANCED Offense/Defense....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to add that the only time our defense has been successful against the Colts was when they made last-second checks/adjustments prior to Manning getting the snap (and sending a disguised corner blitz every once in a while - Manning doesn't like getting hit).

I never understood why we stopped doing that, especially in the playoff drubbings we took. But they don't pay me for my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Morningplastic View Post
      We run the ball a lot so other than a 2 minute drill we don`t need the no huddle.Also take into account all the young players on offense.
      We actually have a very close to 50-50 mix on passes to run ratio, and have since the SB years. So although it appears we are 'run oriented' we throw more passes than runs, although close.

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevil_Jake View Post
        I'd like to add that the only time our defense has been successful against the Colts was when they made last-second checks/adjustments prior to Manning getting the snap (and sending a disguised corner blitz every once in a while - Manning doesn't like getting hit).

I never understood why we stopped doing that, especially in the playoff drubbings we took. But they don't pay me for my advice.
        when you look at the stats from Manning and Brady.... their QB rating take a HUGE JUMP up when the other team blitzes. Both QBs love it when the defense blitzes because they can read it, and know where the open guy is.

So although the idea of 'blitzing the QB' as often as possible sounds great... the reality is it gets you burned most of the time against top QBs. Manning would encourage you to blitz him every play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
          What are you talking about? Ron Jaworski pointed out on just HOW IMPRESSED he was with Jay Cutler because Mike Shanahan makes a different game plan that involves different plays and different formation each and EVERY week!!

When was the last time we did an audible on offense?? Hmmmm.. I think we do them all the time. Where are you getting this info that we don't audible?? How do you think Cutler runs a two minute offense with no audibles? What do you mean "react with a different defense when the other teams calls an audible?" How do you do that, Lava? how do you know when their audibles are called exactly and what the audible that is called? Do you change everything your defense has set up (personnel, blitzes, stunts and coverage) based on a guess on the audible of another team? Do you REALLY think the defense doesn't adjust to different offensive formations and changes? Thats High School football, Lava.

Of course we adjust to audibles that we are able to pick up, or change in formations. Of course we anticipate the changes the offense makes, and/or guess on the audibles called.

I honestly find it humorous that you don't see this happening on the field.
          Besides all your sarcasm....there were some questions I detected that lead me to believe you misunderstand what I'm asking.

There is a difference between pre-snap read and audible Ravage. also there is a difference between calling play at the line, and an audible. I believe Cutler is well coached in pre-nap reads, and we call plays at the line during no huddle situations, but its rare that we change the play after we've lined up.

On defense, I remember watching the Colts play the Ravens, and Ray Lewis was consatntly changing the plays based on how Peyton had his offense lined up. In base formations....the ravens line up normal. If the Colts audible to shotgun, Ray also audibled and had his corners up and pressing and the line pinched in to protect against the draw. Then they switched it up every quarter. It was the one and only time it seemed like Peyton was not in control to me.

Thats what I'm talking about
          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

when you look at the stats from Manning and Brady.... their QB rating take a HUGE JUMP up when the other team blitzes. Both QBs love it when the defense blitzes because they can read it, and know where the open guy is.

So although the idea of 'blitzing the QB' as often as possible sounds great... the reality is it gets you burned most of the time against top QBs. Manning would encourage you to blitz him every play.
            Teams that dont have a great front 4 HAVE to blitz to get any pressure on them. Yes they normally tear up a blitz, but the reason they blitzed in the first place is cause they get carved up anyway with no pressure on them. If you disguise your blitz right you could have a free rusher and not even Manning or Brady can escape that.
            dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
              Besides all your sarcasm....there were some questions I detected that lead me to believe you misunderstand what I'm asking.

There is a difference between pre-snap read and audible Ravage. also there is a difference between calling play at the line, and an audible. I believe Cutler is well coached in pre-nap reads, and we call plays at the line during no huddle situations, but its rare that we change the play after we've lined up.

On defense, I remember watching the Colts play the Ravens, and Ray Lewis was consatntly changing the plays based on how Peyton had his offense lined up. In base formations....the ravens line up normal. If the Colts audible to shotgun, Ray also audibled and had his corners up and pressing and the line pinched in to protect against the draw. Then they switched it up every quarter. It was the one and only time it seemed like Peyton was not in control to me.

Thats what I'm talking about
              I know the difference between a pre-snap read and an audible.... but I'm still seeing that you don't know what you are talking about if you don't think our team calls audibles or simply adjusts the defense to the opposing teams. Thats absolutely ridiculous and COMPLETELY wrong. I can't help it you can't see it.

Also.. i fyou talk to Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher... they know that a lot of Mannings hand signals and calls at the LOS are fake calls and audibles to make the defense think he's changing the plays. THey said that they tried to do the same thing in return many times. If Manning starts out behind center, then moves back into shot-gun.. thats a pretty common and easy adjustment for the defense since a very blatant visual change. Every defense adjusts to it. Just because you don't have a MLB that is waving his hands and screaming out calls, to COUNTER Peyton and play the mind game, doesn't mean you aren't making the adjustments.

Most of that stuff is just for show. Lewis and Urlacher don't want to be "out shown" by Manning. Remember how Urlacher did that during the SB? Trying to keep up with Manning on audibles and calls and adjustments? Manning ate his lunch.

As far as audibles on the LoS..... of course we make them. Thats HS football to make an audible at the LoS. Why on earth would you think that our 1st round draft pick, that played in the ACC, earned Offensive Player of the ACC while attending an academic college.... would NOT be calling audibles during the games???

Comment

I would make a bet thats not true. Thats ridiculous, and you would NOT want your QB going out onto the field without the ability to call and audible. Not to mention, the reason Griese was given the job over Brister was the fact that he was able to understand the system much better and faster than Brister did. He was a SMART QB. So I don't think there is any truth to that whatsoever.
                I didnt say it was true, I remember hearing that when a game was on. The announcer said the same thing, hes a smart qb and I remember hearing him say his contract in denver stated that he couldnt call audibles. It may be true, it may not. Sorry for the inconvenience

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
                  Teams that dont have a great front 4 HAVE to blitz to get any pressure on them. Yes they normally tear up a blitz, but the reason they blitzed in the first place is cause they get carved up anyway with no pressure on them. If you disguise your blitz right you could have a free rusher and not even Manning or Brady can escape that.
                  Right.... teams have to blitz to TRY and get pressure if they are unable to with their front four.... and to try and catch the QB by surprise thus either get the sack or cause a mis-play. Welcome to football defense 101.

But Manning and Brady are SOOOO good at recognizing the blitz, that they LOVE when the defense throws or comes with blitzes at them. If it were as easy to disguise it as you said, then more teams would have success against the two of them throwing the blitz. INstead......... Manning and Brady's QB rating is in the 150s when a blitz is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by 1sconorbrevned View Post
                    I didnt say it was true, I remember hearing that when a game was on. The announcer said the same thing, hes a smart qb and I remember hearing him say his contract in denver stated that he couldnt call audibles. It may be true, it may not. Sorry for the inconvenience
                    I misunderstood. I thought you were saying this as fact. I just can not imagine there ever being ANYTING like that in anyone's contract. Can you imagine an agent or QB signing a contract that would even have that in there? Can you imagine the rest of the team wanting to have a QB on the roster that was absolutely FORBIDDEN by contract to change a play that has no chance to succeed when in the game???

I think that would be the absolute worse thing you could do to a player.... especially one that is considered to be the leader of the team.

Comment

I misunderstood. I thought you were saying this as fact. I just can not imagine there ever being ANYTING like that in anyone's contract. Can you imagine an agent or QB signing a contract that would even have that in there? Can you imagine the rest of the team wanting to have a QB on the roster that was absolutely FORBIDDEN by contract to change a play that has no chance to succeed when in the game???

I think that would be the absolute worse thing you could do to a player.... especially one that is considered to be the leader of the team.

Maybe I misunderstood at the time, I think it was when he was playing for miami when I heard it during a game. (To long ago lol) Maybe it was something verbal with the playcall that if the coaches disagreed with what he saw, he couldnt audible or something like that. It could misunderstood from anyone especially me at the time.

Comment

Guys, every QB (even Brian Griese) has to learn to audible in certain situations to be able to execute an offense. It's part of the freaking game plan.

Now does that mean that every QB can do what the Colts do? No way. They have three plays from the side line and depending on the coverage they see Manning will audible to the one that should work the best. That's pretty hard. However teams have to be able to adjust their protections and their call depending on what the defense is doing. This is part of learning any pro offense.
                        KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X