Nice Marcus Thomas article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Marcus Thomas article

A year later, after 100 percent participation in the offseason conditioning program, it has the Broncos seeing flashes of Thomas' enormous potential.

It already has become clear in the weight room, where last year Thomas might be able to bench 315 pounds twice and now does so a dozen times or more.

rest of article
    sigpic

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    A year later, after 100 percent participation in the offseason conditioning program, it has the Broncos seeing flashes of Thomas' enormous potential.

It already has become clear in the weight room, where last year Thomas might be able to bench 315 pounds twice and now does so a dozen times or more.

rest of article
    Man, that's great news!!!! I have a good feeling he'll becomming into his own this year!!!
    Haze gray and underway!

Comment

I truly believe Thomas has all the tools to be amazing and i totally dig his attitude at this point.
      "It's better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees." -Emiliano Zapata
      R.I.P. D-Will & D-Nash R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Comment

Great read! I hope our expectations of him are met this year, as well as the other 2nd year Dline players, and Robertson as well. If it all adds up... it could be awesome!
        Thanks, Reid!
        sigpic
        Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Good article. I think we are overdue for one of our DT's to breakout and be a stud.

Comment

rest of article
            Man, I hope my keyboard is waterproof. I'm drooling all over it thinking about Thomas' potential impact this year!
            Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
            FF is awesome!

Comment

rest of article
              The lack of upper body strength explains why he had little impact last year. For a guy that size to only be able to bench 315 once or twice is not impressive. I would even say doing it 12 times is probably average for a person of that size.

Let me put it this way. A person who spends any time in the weight room should have no trouble bench pressing their own body weight. In fact I would guess that most of the linebackers on the team can bench press that much. If he is doing 315 that many times, then he is probably maxing out between 380 and 420. That may sound like a lot, but for a lineman it's not going to set any kind of team record.
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Just a little hint. If you like these kinds of articles (IE ones that Lee Rasizer writes and not ones like that whiner Kizla) and would like to read more of them, send him an E-mail thanking him. He responds to every e-mail personally and it will encourage the newspaper staff to focus more on what interests the Broncos community.
                KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comment

I think the bench press is a useless judge of strength. I would rather hear what he cleans or squats.
                  Goal Line Blitz - It's not a game, It's an addiction.... Proud owner of the Mile High Gladiators and GM of the Mile High Mustangs

Comment

I'm glad for Thomas.

The guy has learned to keep himself out of trouble. He was monitored very closely by Shanahan... no screw ups or you're out.

I'm glad for him. Keep the head straight, and show that first round talent that you have.

Comment

Originally posted by tante_vasquez View Post
                      I think the bench press is a useless judge of strength. I would rather hear what he cleans or squats.
                      dead wrong. as a lineman myself i know that the number one most important step to being a successful defensive lineman is to never ever let a blocker get inside. it makes it easy for them to hold without a penalty and they have 10x more leverage to push you all over the place. defensive linemen need to be able to push a blocker as far away as possible so they can shed the block and make a play. leg strength is good for pushing and that is why it is so important for offensive linemen, but defensive linemen need upper body strength to get off a block. all you need is common sense to know that it is baaad to be overpowered.
                      Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
                      vs.
                      Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
                      Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
                      First Round Pick TBA

Comment

Right!

Originally posted by Goatmaster View Post
                        dead wrong. as a lineman myself i know that the number one most important step to being a successful defensive lineman is to never ever let a blocker get inside. it makes it easy for them to hold without a penalty and they have 10x more leverage to push you all over the place. defensive linemen need to be able to push a blocker as far away as possible so they can shed the block and make a play. leg strength is good for pushing and that is why it is so important for offensive linemen, but defensive linemen need upper body strength to get off a block. all you need is common sense to know that it is baaad to be overpowered.
                        Bench, incline, power clean, squat and a bunch of reps on the leg drive machine are all important lifts for all football players, but especially linemen. Agility drills, mat drills, plyos and a track-style running program are also in the equation as is a vigorous conditioning session to close each practice.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I hope that he makes as big of a jump as this article indicates he is capable of. Between himself and Robertson, the D-line wont be the pushovers they were last year.

I don't think I could watch Sam Adams slowly chase down a QB who simply backpedals away at a faster rate!

Comment

Originally posted by tante_vasquez View Post
                            It doesn't really matter what you think of this particular exercise. I would have to assume he is working on more than just bench in the weight room so all his reps would be going up. The point of the article is that he is getting much stronger and that is a good thing no matter how you measure it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X