• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos C Nalen likely out for rest of camp

Broncos C Nalen likely out for rest of camp
    By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
    43 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—Denver Broncos center Tom Nalen might be out until the season opener as he continues to recover from offseason surgery on his left knee.

The 15-year veteran whose 2007 season was cut short by a torn right biceps after five games hasn’t practiced since the first few days of camp. He is the only player remaining from the Broncos’ back-to-back Super Bowl winners in the 1990s.

“Any time Tom sits out of practice it is not just another injury because it is tough to keep him out of practice,” coach Mike Shanahan said Tuesday. “I think he has the experience where he doesn’t really need the preseason games, and he is working hard in the weight room to make sure his conditioning level stays at a certain point.”

Shanahan said an MRI was negative, ruling out more surgery for now.

“Hopefully rest will be enough but we will find out in the next couple of weeks when some of the pain subsides,” Shanahan said.

Nalen, whose five Pro Bowls are the most for a Broncos lineman, has helped Denver to the most rushing yards and the third-fewest sacks in the NFL since 1995.

He was placed on injured reserve in October with a torn right biceps. After rehabilitating that injury, he underwent knee surgery this summer.

Nalen’s slow recovery has made center Casey Wiegmann the Broncos’ most important free agent signing.

Wiegmann, entering his 13th NFL season, spent the last seven seasons with AFC West rival Kansas City. He started 111 consecutive games in the regular season, the longest active streak among NFL centers.

The Broncos’ entire offensive line is in flux.

Only one returner played all 16 games last year—right guard Montrae Holland. He came to camp so overweight that he hasn’t been allowed to practice. He’s been replaced by Chris Kuper, who played left guard last year.

Second-year pro Ryan Harris is at right tackle, replacing Erik Pears, who started every game there in 2007 but is now rookie Ryan Clady’s backup at left tackle, protecting quarterback Jay Cutler’s blind side.

Ben Hamilton, who missed all of last season with post-concussion syndrome, is back at left guard.

Looks like his knee is still an issue. Being a 15 year vet it's not like he needs the work.

;);)

Watch out!!!

I was afraid of this.

There is no doubt in my mind that Nalen won't be ready to go by week 1 of the regular season.

I just hope his knee will be ready to go...

Comment

Wiegmann signing looking very smart at this point. I hope Tommy makes it back to play the whole season. Seeing him retire will be very difficult - after all he is the last remaining link from XXXII and XXXIII...
      sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
        I was afraid of this.

There is no doubt in my mind that Nalen won't be ready to go by week 1 of the regular season.

I just hope his knee will be ready to go...

When do you think he could be back?

;);)

Watch out!!!

Comment

wont be a big deal if he can come back for week 1.

the guys been playing for ever. whats another training camp to him?

Comment

there is still one big problem, that I was the first to point out before Cutlers debut. The centre to QB handoff is still causing them both problems. If nothing else, hopefully Tom can at least work with Jay on this, because its happend quite a few times.
            "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
            Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Dam, I hate to be negative, but I sure hope this isn't the end for Tom. All the years or the pounding on his body might be finally taking its toll.

I hope he is ready to go at least by week 2 or 3.

Comment

Well hopefully he can come back. Cause we got nothing behind him. Who is running with the first team with Nalen out?
                Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

i believe he can come back maybe not 100% but at least 80% i believe Casey Wiegmann has been taking first team snaps correct me if im wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by captainbronco View Post
                    i believe he can come back maybe not 100% but at least 80% i believe Casey Wiegmann has been taking first team snaps correct me if im wrong?
                    Yeah but is an 80% Nalen good enough? What happened to his knee? Was it just a scoped?
                    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

i hope it is but thats why we have insurance behind him he had a sore left knee and they checked it out and it was okay but he needs atleast two more weeks to recover

Comment

Working...
                      X