So Shanny Still Can't Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muse View Post
    Shame Hixon's still not around but I'm glad he's doing well in NY - he would've mentally divebombed had he stayed in Denver after the collision with Everett. So I can't really bring myself to call it a "bad" pick considering that really freakish circumstances surrounded his departure.
    Yeah, he always managed to be open in preseason last year so the jury is still out on Hixon. Kind of like Darius Watts with hands.

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
      Maybe I am an ******* for saying this but Darrent Williams was a crappy pick. Yeah it sucks that he was killed, but only getting 2 years out of a second round pick qualifies as a bad pick... In those two years he showed flashes, but he wasnt that good.....
      I'm sorry but you cannot count that. Any player could get killed by a drive by, It has nothing to do with the player or the pick.

He showed more then flashes to me, He was consistantly good and only really failed agianst , wasnt it Reggie Wayne.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

Maybe I am an ******* for saying this but Darrent Williams was a crappy pick. Yeah it sucks that he was killed, but only getting 2 years out of a second round pick qualifies as a bad pick... In those two years he showed flashes, but he wasnt that good.....
        Wow. Dude, you should reconsider those words.

Darrent being killed was out of anyone’s control. In his 2 years he was a valuable member of the team and had a lot of potential. That he didn’t get the opportunity to realise that potential is a tragedy. I think that given the circumstances he should be exempt of any draft criticism directed at Shanahan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mile_High_Kiwi View Post
          Wow. Dude, you should reconsider those words.

Darrent being killed was out of anyone’s control. In his 2 years he was a valuable member of the team and had a lot of potential. That he didn’t get the opportunity to realise that potential is a tragedy. I think that given the circumstances he should be exempt of any draft criticism directed at Shanahan.
          I agree with everything about Darrent having potential, and being a valuable member of the team.....But hindsight being 20/20 and knowing now what we didn't know then....There were a lot of picks that would have been much more benificial to the 08/09 Broncos than Darrent Williams
          Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

I think he was a guy who would have continued to get more pics every years and eventually could have had 9 or 10 pics translating into a big contract from someone. Maybe not the best all around player, but a good player that teams would value. Plus he was a good punt returner. But keep in mind he was just starting to put it together. He could get burned and then make a great play.

Comment

Yeah, you a ******* for that! He never reached his full potential! Had he not been killed, he would have made an excellent CB!

Here's to Darrent Williams
              Haze gray and underway!

Comment

Originally posted by antipas View Post
                Yeah, you a ******* for that! He never reached his full potential! Had he not been killed, he would have made an excellent CB!

Here's to Darrent Williams
                Yeah but the fact of the matter is was it a good draft pick......At the time it was a reach....He played far better than everyone expected...... But he lasted two years.... If he was out of the NFL for any other reason we would be branding him a scrub...See Watts..... But because he was killed we have to make him out to something that he wasnt? He was a solid player with a bright future, but he wasnt a great player.......and IMO if Denver could redo that pick it wouldnt be Darrent Williams
                Last edited by japfaff; 08-17-2008, 07:46 PM.
                Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PaperBagBronco View Post
                  Yeah thats pretty nice and all but still not good enough to make us forget aobut these guys (4th rounders and below).

George Foster
                  Ashley Lelie
                  Marcus Nash
                  Willie Middlebrooks
                  Deltha O'neal

And these are all first rounders...

Domenic Hixon
                  Maurice Clarret (HAHAHAHAHAHA)....Sorry
                  Darius Watts
                  Jeremy LeSueur
                  Terry Pierce
                  Quentin Griffen
                  Nick Eason
                  Dorsett Davis
                  Paul Toviessi
                  Chris Cole
                  Jerry Johnson
                  Montae Reagor
                  Lenne Friedman
                  Chris Watson
                  Travis Mcgriff
                  Eric Brown
                  Curtis Alexander
                  Cory Gillard
                  Tory James
                  Detron Smith
                  Mark Cambell
                  Jeff Lewis
                  Darrius Johnson
                  Those are some forgettable players. Let's also forget...

Paul Ernster
                  Triandos Luke
                  Josh Sewell
                  Brandon Miree
                  Bryant McNeal
                  Aaron Hunt
                  Clint Mitchell
                  Ahmad Galloway
                  Ben Claxton
                  Adrian Madise
                  Herb Haygood

Comment

Perspective

Yeah but the fact of the matter is was it a good draft pick......At the time it was a reach....He played far better than everyone expected...... But he lasted two years.... If he was out of the NFL for any other reason we would be branding him a scrub...See Watts..... But because he was killed we have to make him out to something that he wasnt? He was a solid player with a bright future, but he wasnt a great player.......and IMO if Denver could redo that pick it wouldnt be Darrent Williams
                    He was a 2nd rounder right? A late second rounder? If you get a "solid player with a bright future" in the late second, that's a good pick. It's sort of disgusting that you call him a bad pick because he was shot. That's what you're doing, right? Comparing a "solid player with a bright future" to a guy who never had what it took to play at the pro level, because they are both "out of the NFL"? Dude, get a grip.

If something random were to happen to you, I certainly hope your company wouldn't consider you a bad hire because of it. That would be about the same as what you're doing.
                    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                      only two i see are doom and marshall

thomas and royal = unproven commodities

and marshall could still be a ticking timebomb
                      well of course if you come in with a biased perspective such as yours, looking for any reason to spin and stretch things against us.

realistically, royal's not disappointed yet and we have a qb who could make sure that keeps up. if he was failing in camp and preseason you'd be on shanahan's balls talking about how he drafted a bust.
                      Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                      Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

Moss could turn out to be a total blunder.We spent 2 high picks on this kid.I hope he turns out good.

Overall I think a ton of improvment has been made since we cleaned house in the front office.Maybe all the bad drafting wasnt all shannys fault.

Comment

Yeah... if he was out of the NFL because he sucked you'd have a point.

What happened is really pretty damn far from that, don't you think?
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                            Yeah... if he was out of the NFL because he sucked you'd have a point.

What happened is really pretty damn far from that, don't you think?
                            Out of curiosity who else was available when we drafted Darrent that is a solid player right now.Lets not forget 27 was also a good returner and wouldve made a helluva nickel behind Bly.Although that trade probably wouldve never happened.

Comment

Darrent was a bust because he wasn't great?

Who the hell is great after two seasons?

It's all about perspective and some people have noooooone. Darrent, for a second year corner opposite Champ, was doing great and had a hell of a future. He was doing all we could ask of him and was looking to become one of the best corners in the league.

Why even bring up redoing that pick because a player died later? That doesn't even make sense. Do you remember when everyone wanted Justin Miller and complained that we didn't take him?

Yeah, Justin Miller. Not exactly a superstar now, is he? He's a damn nobody and a complete bust. Williams ended up being not only as good a corner as we could ask for in two seasons, but a great return man. And a great person.
                              Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                              Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

dude when are going to be able to spell Dumervil?
                                The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                                While he sits by his hearth at home.
                                Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                                That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X