So Shanny Still Can't Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
    Maybe I am an ******* for saying this but Darrent Williams was a crappy pick. Yeah it sucks that he was killed, but only getting 2 years out of a second round pick qualifies as a bad pick... In those two years he showed flashes, but he wasnt that good.....
    I keep telling people this.. RIP but D-Will was not that good, he gotburmed just as many times as Foxworth if not more. Everybody hopped on the band wagon when he died.

Comment

Maybe I am an ******* for saying this but Darrent Williams was a crappy pick. Yeah it sucks that he was killed, but only getting 2 years out of a second round pick qualifies as a bad pick... In those two years he showed flashes, but he wasnt that good.....
      Are you kidding me?!?!?!?

Darrent Williams was a crappy pick because he was murdered 2 years later???

I'm sorry japfaff, but this is one of the worst posts I've seen on this board in a loooooong time. How was Shanahan supposed to know this? D-Will was doing very well for a young CB, putting in the work, and was a great locker room presence as well. Had his life not been cut short tragically, he may have been a long time starter for the team, and lived up to his 2nd round pick.

To say it was a bad pick by Shanahan because he was killed is absolutely and completely ludicrous.

Comment

Yeah but the fact of the matter is was it a good draft pick......At the time it was a reach....He played far better than everyone expected...... But he lasted two years.... If he was out of the NFL for any other reason we would be branding him a scrub...See Watts..... But because he was killed we have to make him out to something that he wasnt? He was a solid player with a bright future, but he wasnt a great player.......and IMO if Denver could redo that pick it wouldnt be Darrent Williams
        Originally posted by Lomax View Post
        He was a 2nd rounder right? A late second rounder? If you get a "solid player with a bright future" in the late second, that's a good pick. It's sort of disgusting that you call him a bad pick because he was shot. That's what you're doing, right? Comparing a "solid player with a bright future" to a guy who never had what it took to play at the pro level, because they are both "out of the NFL"? Dude, get a grip.

If something random were to happen to you, I certainly hope your company wouldn't consider you a bad hire because of it. That would be about the same as what you're doing.
        Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
        Yeah... if he was out of the NFL because he sucked you'd have a point.

What happened is really pretty damn far from that, don't you think?
        Originally posted by Powderaddict
        Are you kidding me?!?!?!?

Darrent Williams was a crappy pick because he was murdered 2 years later???

I'm sorry japfaff, but this is one of the worst posts I've seen on this board in a loooooong time. How was Shanahan supposed to know this? D-Will was doing very well for a young CB, putting in the work, and was a great locker room presence as well. Had his life not been cut short tragically, he may have been a long time starter for the team, and lived up to his 2nd round pick.

To say it was a bad pick by Shanahan because he was killed is absolutely and completely ludicrous.
        yeah.. Japfaff, I have to agree with my compadres here.. you aren't making any sense.

YOu are saying that the pick was 'bad' because he's no longer on the team, and ONLY getting 2 years from a second round pick, when the guy was MURDERED????? That just doesn't make sense. You are mentioned that the pick looked good after 20/20 hindsight as to how well Darrent played... but you are using 20/20 hindsight as to knowing that Darrent WIlliams wouldn't be on the team after two years due to a drive by shooting, and that makes it a BAD draft choice??????

Sorry.. but you have really lost perspective on this one, completely. This is honestly some of the worst logic I have ever read on these boards.
        Last edited by Ravage!!!; 08-18-2008, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Oh I admit I am icredably insensitive on this one. But the fact of the matter is that He was killed, that sucked. I am talking in terms of our team would we be better off if we drafted Vincent Jackson, Justin Tuck, or Frank Gore. Sorry but a second round pick that only is in the league for two years is a bad pick.....How he got out of the league is irrevilant. I know some of you feel this personal bond with darrent, which is great. But that doesn't make him a great player or great pick
          Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Oh I admit I am icredably insensitive on this one. But the fact of the matter is that He was killed, that sucked. I am talking in terms of our team would we be better off if we drafted Vincent Jackson, Justin Tuck, or Frank Gore. Sorry but a second round pick that only is in the league for two years is a bad pick.....How he got out of the league is irrevilant. I know some of you feel this personal bond with darrent, which is great. But that doesn't make him a great player or great pick

Comment

He was a decent player and he was a decent pick. A "bad pick" would be someone that didn't have the talent, commitment or had a foreseeable injury to make it in the league.

I think if a player is out of the league because of unforeseen injury or death it isn't the drafters fault.

Comment

How he got out of the league is irrevilant.
                That's an utter load of bollocks. If he plays himself out of the league, it's a bad pick. If he suddenly decides he wants to do something else, it's a bad pick. If he strolled around training with gay abandon ending up with him getting cut, it's a bad pick. If he gets completely smashed and decides to run over a bunch of people and lands himself in prison, it's a bad pick.

But considering that he had virtually no control over the circumstances of his death...it's going more than a bit far to say that the team should've seen it coming in their All-Powerful Draft Day Crystal Ball. His death did not stem from character issues which the team should have known about or psychological problems or because he beat somebody up. If he had played for 4 years, done a Deltha O'Neal and then died, sure, I would've said that it was a tragic story even if he wasn't a great player. But Darrent played above expectations. He was drafted as a punt returner and turned out to be a very promising corner. If you asked me what I thought of Darrent on December 30th 2006, I would've said that although he makes a few mental errors, he's a good player who could develop into something great.

In the same way, would you say that Sean Taylor was a bad pick because - although he played in 2 Pro Bowls and was an All-Pro - he only played three seasons and then left? I know he wasn't the most savoury character but his death, like Darrent's, was the result of him being in the wrong place at the wrong time (even if it was his home). Why don't you go and post that in the Redskins forum?
                sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Shanahan has done better in recent yesars, but his drafts from 2000-2005 were brutal.

2006 with Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall and Dumervil look like it could be one of the best ever in Broncos history....

2007, though, still looks a bit rough, although Marcus Thomas looks like he will be a player....but Moss and/or Crowder have to come though...and Chris Kuper is going ot start here for a long time, and who knows? Maybe Ryan Harris will be good too...with a little luck, this Draft could be great too.

2008 looks like a great Draft so far, at least for the first two rounds, as Clady and Royal are going to be great players for us...and Tyler Polumbus and Wesley Woodyard will prove to be steals....but guys like Ryan Torain, Kory Lichtenstieger, Jack Williams will have to come through to make it truly 'great'....Josh Barrett and Peyton Hillis look like they could develop down the road as well.

All in all, Shanny and Co. have done much, much better in the Draft over the last three years. It will be amazing to see how much that helps Shanahan the Head Coach.
                  Last edited by MindField; 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Never and I mean never speak ill of the dead.
                    Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Shanny is brilliant

I am a Titans fan but have tremendous amounts of respect for CMS. He and Jeff Fisher are very close, the respect they have for one another ultimately led to one of the best draft trades in recent years: Broncos trading up to #11 and selecting Jay Cutler. There shall be some return on that investment in the coming years. Many moons from now the Shanny doubters shall eat crow.

Comment

Yeah but the fact of the matter is was it a good draft pick......At the time it was a reach....He played far better than everyone expected...... But he lasted two years.... If he was out of the NFL for any other reason we would be branding him a scrub...See Watts..... But because he was killed we have to make him out to something that he wasnt? He was a solid player with a bright future, but he wasnt a great player.......and IMO if Denver could redo that pick it wouldnt be Darrent Williams
                        Well maby so, but he did play well for us!(IMO)
                        Haze gray and underway!

Comment

It has been some time since this draft! Isn't this now "water under the bridge"!
                          Haze gray and underway!

Comment

The problem is , any one we drafted could have been killed in the drive by, It didn't happen because of who he was, what he did, or what kind of football player he was.

Our draft choice was killed in a drive by. I'd say a very high percentage of our possible picks could have died at the very same moment.

The pick wasn't bad, what happened didn't help the team. I'll give you that. But it wasn't because of the pick.

He had a lot better chance to succeed then almost any other draft pick we could have chosen. There for by defualt he is about the best draft pick we could have made. Any one of them we could have choosen could have died at that very moment in time.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

Darrent Williams death has no negative effect on Shanahan's grade. There is no bigger critic of Shanahan's personnel moves than me, even I don't hold that against him.

The impact Williams had on this team for two seasons is what mattered, it was well worth the 2nd round pick......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                                Darrent Williams death has no negative effect on Shanahan's grade. There is no bigger critic of Shanahan's personnel moves than me, even I don't hold that against him.

The impact Williams had on this team for two seasons is what mattered, it was well worth the 2nd round pick......
                                :clap:Nice post!:dance:WooHoo!
                                Haze gray and underway!

Comment

Working...
                                X