Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Problem that might arise from our new defensive scheme…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Problem that might arise from our new defensive scheme…

I love how we are stopping the run but one thing that worries me about our defense is we can be a little to aggressive. So far in the preseason we are almost always in an 8 man front and we bite hard on the run. We could get killed with playaction/cutback runs this year. Houston got us good a couple times with bootlegs in the second half of our first game. And with the Raiders and Chiefs pretty much stealing our offense we could give up a lot of big plays. Anyone else think this could be a problem once the regular season starts?
    sigpic

When I watched the rebroadcast of the Denver-Dallas game (with the Dallas broadcasting crew), that was one thing Romo said as he was being interviewed. He said that they'd likely have gotten some big plays against the D given how they were playing against them.

I don't know if that's true, but I'd say you have to take the good with the bad sometimes. I think a couple big plays are less of a problem than consistently letting teams run up the gut at will.
    Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
    FF is awesome!

Comment

With the corners we have it makes sense to key in on the run. If worst comes to worst they try and beat us deep, and then there's always a decent chance that Champ or Dre could come up with a pick. Of course we would give up our fair share of big plays, but like another poster said that is far, far preferable to being run on all day long. There's nothing more demoralizing in football than the other team being able to run the ball effectively at will.
      sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

The cutback runs are more of a concern to me than play action passes, so i would much rather focus on stopping the run. We do still have a top cornerback duo, and now some speed at safety to prevent any really big passing plays. Even if we give up a few big passes, stopping the run forces them to throw more, and that means more interceptions.

But the cutback runs exploit the same weakness as the bootleg, our DE's aren't great at containment. That's why we got burnt in the Houston game, whoever had the containment responsibility blew it, a lot.

But considering all the problems in the middle we had last year, I can live with this one for the time being. Hopefully more experience at DE and more speed at OLB will minimize the problem.
        Last edited by Bronco_Hyde; 08-19-2008, 07:53 AM.

Comment

They were just about as aggressive as you can get in '05. That doesn't bother me. The main thing I have noticed so far, is that there is still a lack of pass rush from the front four. I would rather be agressive, and rely on the secondary to make plays, than sit back and let guys like Manning pick them apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
            They were just about as aggressive as you can get in '05. That doesn't bother me. The main thing I have noticed so far, is that there is still a lack of pass rush from the front four. I would rather be agressive, and rely on the secondary to make plays, than sit back and let guys like Manning pick them apart.
            Ding, Ding, Ding!! We have a winner! :thumb:

I agree completely with what Spice says. Gotta get some consistent pressure on the QB one of these seasons! Elvis is great, but we can't rely on him being the only one to disrupt the opponents' passing game.
            Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
            FF is awesome!

Comment

Weve upgraded our safeties froma coverage stand point. We have a great cornerback duo. Id match them up and let them makes plays. The run destroyed us last year. I dont want to see that happen again.
              sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
              SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Defense is all about pressure, so I'll take the chance and be aggressive. Pressure behind the line can stop the run, get sacks, hurry throws, cause INTS, the whole deal. I'll take it. Especially with Champ back there. I mean, look at the Giants. They're all about bringing pressure, and their rookie CB looks good...how much better are Champ and Dre than (Aaron Ross?) that guy? And now with McCree, who is better in coverage than Lynch, and Foxworth or Jack for the nickel...I'd say we're all right. Bring on the pressure.

Though your post is totally true. It will expose us to the big plays. I guys what i'm say is simply that I don't mind that risk if it means an agressive defense.

Comment

I agree with all you guys, good stuff . Another thing, I think having D-Rob in there will help us out a lot and should help us get pressure on the QB. And with Champ healthy it makes the scheme a lot better with all the man to man we run. Our defense could be pretty good, we have just seen the basics thus far in the preseason. I can't wait to see what our "regular season" defense will look like.
                  Ive noticed we show blitz but then drop them back a lot in the preseason. We could get pretty tricky with the looks we show.
                  sigpic

Comment

Don't read too much into what our 3rd string defense did or failed to do against Houston's 3rd string offense, that has no bearing on how the season will play out.

One thing that people have to remember is that we have yet to see our two best cornerbacks in play, with Champ and Bly the deep pass is going to be dangerous even with the playfake.

We actually have run fewer 8 man fronts than we did last year during the regular season, we can do that because we have faster safeties who can come up and stop the run even if they line up 15 yards deep.

I am pretty happy with what I have seen so far, the only real concern I have with the defense is that Engelberger is going to be susceptible to bootlegs his way because gets no rush at all. Bootlegs run to Dumervils side should be taken care off because he gets up field nicely and with an unprotected quarterback you know he will go for the strip and sack.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos724 View Post
                      With the corners we have it makes sense to key in on the run. If worst comes to worst they try and beat us deep, and then there's always a decent chance that Champ or Dre could come up with a pick. Of course we would give up our fair share of big plays, but like another poster said that is far, far preferable to being run on all day long. There's nothing more demoralizing in football than the other team being able to run the ball effectively at will.
                      Perfectly put.
                      Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

Originally posted by cutler7624 View Post
                        I love how we are stopping the run but one thing that worries me about our defense is we can be a little to aggressive. So far in the preseason we are almost always in an 8 man front and we bite hard on the run. We could get killed with playaction/cutback runs this year. Houston got us good a couple times with bootlegs in the second half of our first game. And with the Raiders and Chiefs pretty much stealing our offense we could give up a lot of big plays. Anyone else think this could be a problem once the regular season starts?
                        ding ding ding!!

this is preseason...

they are only operating with vanilla base packages...

they are practicing getting their run stopping...

when the season starts, dont be surprised to see a lot of mixing and changing with our D...

sigpic

Comment

The only thing that bothers me is our pass rush. Where is the pass rush? The team is looking good, the offense is full of weapons, defense is somehow stopping the run... But our pass rush is not good.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hopefully our offense will be getting out to huge early leads that will force opposing offenses to become one dimensional.

But, an aggressive defense that can stop the run is in deed much more preferable than one that sits back and gets run over all the time. The secondary is just going to have to remain disciplined and stick with the receivers.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I don't know about the team but it demoralized the hell out of me watching those guys scamper through our line.
                              Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Working...
                              X