Safety Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Dance

I have to say, I was seriously concerned about our Safeties going into this season. John Lynch was a great warrior, but he was also becoming a dinosaur, as the NFL moves away from the traditional LB-sized guys that could support the run, but were a liability in coverage. Hamza Abdullah showed promise, but had never delivered for a full season. The Broncos were only able to draft Josh Barrett in the 7th round, and added journeyman Marquand Manuel and solid, but unspectacular vet Marlon McCree. In short, there was reason for serious concern.

Move ahead a month into camp, and things have changed for the better, IMO.
    Lynch was released, and while I was disappointed to lose his leadership, I was worried about having to disguise him in pass coverages. Hamza Abdullah has been nursing hamstring and groin injury's throughout camp, and that has opened the door for McCree and Manuel, and both have been up to the challenge.

Marlon McCree is and has been a player I like. He is is a savvy vet and a competitor. I thought he played well for San Diego, as he had in Carolina and Jacksonville prior to that. He has thre right mix of pass coverage skill and toughness supporting the run D, and he is physical. I think he is going to be a very good, solid peformer for us.

Marquand Manuel is the type of guy you root for. He is tough and a guy who has had to fight for everything he has earned in his NFL career. The fact that the Broncos gave him a three year contract shows you that they believe in him. In the practice that I attended, he was extremely active and physical, so much so that I was actually suprised. He also was vocal and clearly had leadership skills. Manuel reminds me alot of Tyrone Braxton, just a tough, hard-nosed kid that can play the game and make plays in the process.

I also like the youngster Josh Barrett.

So, I am pleased with what I have seen so far, and I think this unit could be suprisingly good, especially after expecting it could be an area of real concern for the Broncos. Now, I actually could see it as a strength, as I really like what I have witnessed from McCree and Manuel.

So here's my shout out to the M and M boys...keep it up!
    Last edited by MindField; 08-19-2008, 08:38 AM.

I think Safety along with middle is one of our biggest question mark positions. Hamza is good but he seemed dinged up and for the love of God has the hands of a statue. Manuel seemed to be getting run over alot and McCree was never considered great. I think that the majority of the guys are an upgrade over the aging Lynch but I am not sure that we have that position solidified.
    Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

Originally posted by Aija View Post
      I think Safety along with middle is one of our biggest question mark positions. Hamza is good but he seemed dinged up and for the love of God has the hands of a statue. Manuel seemed to be getting run over alot and McCree was never considered great. I think that the majority of the guys are an upgrade over the aging Lynch but I am not sure that we have that position solidified.
      I think Bronco fans are going to be pleasantly suprised at just how good this group turns out to be. They are better than you think.

Comment

Abdullah better be working his ass off or he is going to lose his spot with the first team.

Comment

Addition by subtraction.......We had to move on from Lynch. And weve got some serviceable guys in his place. Good enough for me. I was tired of Lynch being dead on in diagnosing the play and not being fast or quick enough to make the play.

Comment

We can dance if we want to
            We can leave those friends behind
            Because your friends don't dance
            And if they don't dance
            Well they're no friends of mine.
            In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by dman444 View Post
              Abdullah better be working his ass off or he is going to lose his spot with the first team.
              I'm pretty sure thats already happened IMO,

But I'm very pleased with Manuel and McrCree these two are really playing well
              sigpic

Comment

Well I hoped to get a playmaker, someone who jumps routes....looks like Mcree will be that guy.

I'm happy with them, they arent exactly a strong point, but they are not a weak point. We have Bailey and Bly, we'll make plays.
                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

But none of these guys are Reggie Nelson......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                    But none of these guys are Reggie Nelson......
                    Or George Bush, imagine how easy pass coverage is when you have an air force and 2000 tactical nukes, good bye black hole

Comment

Hopefully Abdullah and his athletic ability can bring some big plays to the safety position this season.

We have really lacked some true playmaking safetys for a while now.

McCree and Manuel are just stop gaps for a couple of seasons. I see Denver looking safety in future drafts early to help solidify the defense.

Comment

We definitely need to draft a safety in the early rounds next year, as Marquand and McCree are short term answers, and Hamza is still unproven, but they will be serviceable until we can get some rookies up to game speed in the next few years. Overall it's not that bad, our safeties will look better than last year.

Comment

I like Josh Barrett. It was projected that he could've gone as high as the third round, but we stole him in the 7th. I would love to see him and McCree as the starting safeties with Abdullah and Manuel as the backups.

In next years draft their are several defensive players I would love to get. There's a list in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by berlownacyo7s View Post
                            I like Josh Barrett. It was projected that he could've gone as high as the third round, but we stole him in the 7th. I would love to see him and McCree as the starting safeties with Abdullah and Manuel as the backups.

In next years draft their are several defensive players I would love to get. There's a list in my signature.
                            The word seems to be that the bigger safeties are going the way of the dinosaur, so players like the Missouri kid may not be as highly valued.

I think McCree, Manuel, Abdullah and Barrett will be the safties for a few seasons. I think the Broncos will address other things in the Draft.

Comment

Say no to Manuel

There are two distinct needs at safty. A tackling nickleback that plays every down and a coverage OLB that hurts anyone that goes up the middle and stops cracks in the run defense. I'll refer to as FS and SS respectivly, though some reverse the terms.
                              As far as FS: Foxworth, Abdullah and Paymah would be my depth chart. Paymah has better feet then Foxy so I'd play him as the NB/3rd CB and keep Foxy in at FS. Abdullah is a more then capable backup.
                              As far as SS: Barrett has the speed to play FS, but the size, instincts and aggressivness to be our future SS. He reminds me of a younger, stronger and faster Lynch. Until he's ready, McCree and his experiance will do nicely. If Barrett is slow picking up NFL speed, Abdullah is a good backup SS. If Barrett learns quickly, he could take the starting spot from McCree by mid-season.
                              Manuel has neither the size(SS) or quickness(FS) to make the team. Rodgers is good P-Squad depth that could play FS if injuries nessesitate it. I'd keep 8 DBs: Foxy, McCree, Abdullah, Barrett; Bailey, Bly, Paymah and Williams. These are the best and most versitile players.

Comment

Working...
                              X