Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Niko = 2nd String?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by PaperBagBronco View Post
    Seems that way going by the Denver Bronco Blog WOOOHOOOO!!!!

    8/19/08 "Nate Webster lined up at the middle linebacker position with the first unit defense during 11-on-11s, with D.J. Williams and Jamie Winborn on either side. The defensive line was still John Engelberger, Dewayne Robertson, Marcus Thomas and Elvis Dumervil, and the secondary was Bailey, Bly, Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel."

    I know this is not set in stone but I sure as hell hope so since NIKO looked lost every single time he was out there. Plus we have enough cheerleaders last thing we need is a 240lb one at MLB.
    They've been alternating with the first team every day or every other day in camp. Now they're alternating starting in the preseason games. Webster got the first one, Niko got the last one. So now it's Webster's turn to start against the Packers. This doesn't mean a thing except that it was Webster's turn with the starters.

    Don't draw any conclusions about the fight at MLB until you hear it from the coaches.
    Last edited by Javalon; 08-20-2008, 08:46 PM.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

    Comment


    • #17
      You can't say Niko sucks because he's not the first one to the ball or cause he doesn't make double digit tackles. MLBs have more responsibilities than just running werever the ball is. Niko is usually plugging gaps thus usually forcing the RB to run outside and allowing quicker OLBs to make the play. This is why DJ Williams seems so good (and he is good). And you cannot judge a player by how many tackles he has, usually if a player has little tackles that just means someone got to the play sooner: DJ Wiliams. Now if we had a quicker OLB than DJ who had twice as many tackles as DJ this season, would you be saying "oh DJ sucks i can't belive we pay him starter money"
      C'mon guys
      Give Niko a break sheesh

      Comment


      • #18
        I dunno i saw what webster had all year last year and I wasn't that impressed. Lets wait and see what niko has before we throw him on special teams.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
          Guys are you not hearing me???

          Its gonna be Niko, i think he'll get better as the year goes on. He hasnt really played any MLB yet.

          Let me turn up the volume ....

          Ok thats better... I think your right and I agree...
          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

          Comment


          • #20
            Niko is not going to start at Oakland, game over its done.

            And thank god for that, they guy has made like 4 plays in 2 pre season games and looked lost while doing it.

            Comment


            • #21
              Webster has never impressed, only filled a spot. His greatest downside is his slow reaction and inability to diagnose plays-he'll go where he's told, but cannot 'sniff out' the ball. This is where Koutouvides shines. His reaction is instant and moves well through traffic to the ball. Webster is strait-line faster, but without direction. He also has the advantage of knowing the system. Niko is a better LB and much better MLB. By the time the season starts this should be apparent. I'm guessing Webster fights Green for a special-team/back-up SLB/MLB roster spot. This desicion is also based on Larsen's play.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by PaperBagBronco View Post
                Seems that way going by the Denver Bronco Blog WOOOHOOOO!!!!

                8/19/08 "Nate Webster lined up at the middle linebacker position with the first unit defense during 11-on-11s, with D.J. Williams and Jamie Winborn on either side. The defensive line was still John Engelberger, Dewayne Robertson, Marcus Thomas and Elvis Dumervil, and the secondary was Bailey, Bly, Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel."

                I know this is not set in stone but I sure as hell hope so since NIKO looked lost every single time he was out there. Plus we have enough cheerleaders last thing we need is a 240lb one at MLB.
                Personally, i think Niko will start. When he was with the seahawks, he never got alot of playing time. So now the Broncos are giving him a chance to show his talent. Yes, there has been a few times where he did look lost on defense, but that will happen with any player that is trying to learn new defensive scheme. Give him time.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Javalon View Post
                  They've been alternating with the first team every day or every other day in camp. Now they're alternating starting in the preseason games. Webster got the first one, Niko got the last one. So now it's Webster's turn to start against the Packers. This doesn't mean a thing except that it was Webster's turn with the starters.

                  Don't draw any conclusions about the fight at MLB until you hear it from the coaches.
                  Javalon I think you hit the nail right on the head...the competition is still ongoing. I remember reading an article from another poster who stated exactly what you just did. So until we hear different I would assume they will still share reps in practice and alternate during games. Until one is promoted or anointed the starting position, or worse case scenario we cut one and the other wins by default (never know).

                  Either way I don't care who starts myself as long as they do well...as a fan I have no vested interest in either player so may the best man win! However I will say that the one TC practice I attended Nate Webster looked fantastic and I think many people are too hard on him. Don’t know much about Niko…he has played alright I guess. Not that it matters but I did not even notice him in the TC practice I attended. I believe the coach’s will put their best 11 players on the field and I will support the decision they make (unless the winner sucks bad).

                  Thx,
                  Joe
                  To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I finally saw the game replayed, and niko seemed quite lackluster. He was always watching plays happen, then running around slapping asses and shaking hands. If he would've shed a few blocks or hustled he could've made some nice plays. I forget which play it was on, but he watched foxworth and dj persue and double tackle someone, while he waltzes(literally) up to the action and gets shoved over. If he was putting some effort forth that probably wouldn't have happened, he looked WAY too loose.

                    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Somebody around here has a line in their signature that says something about not liking any particular player - only how they fit into the team. (Or something like that). That is key.

                      There are a lot of discussions here about specific abilities of certain players, but those are really secondary. It is the whole of the team that is important. As this thread has said: there are things that Niko does that create opportunities for other people to make plays. It is the defensive line that makes or breaks corners.

                      And most importantly, it is the coaches telling the players what to do that really impacts their play. If you ask a 250#DE to pass rush through a 340# Dallas OT, and you don't place him correctly on the line, don't give him DL help or haven't stunted all game to put pass rush questions in the OT's head, is the failure of the DE to beat the OT ALL his fault? If there is a missing starting CB and the coach has the MLB shade strong side to give a little help, and the MLB doesn't catch the RB on a weak side sweep, can you really blame the MLB?

                      Our problem is that we don't ever know what the coaches have asked the players to do. Did Shanny tell Ramsey to throw some jump balls to see if the rookies could pull them down? We don't know. We assume that the scheme never changes when the personnel change throughout the game, but that isn't always true. Before we crucify Foxy, we need to know if Shanny told him to play 10 yards off of Owens (and maybe told him to do that just to see how he's tackling). We don't know.

                      One of the Broncos said it best when asked about the fight for MLB between 2 fairly talented players. (I forgot which blog it was). He said "Everybody should have this problem".

                      Yes, there are better MLBs. The problem is, they aren't available. You don't go to war with the team you want. You go to war with the team you have.
                      I don't want a winning season; I want a Dynasty!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by The|Snake#16 View Post
                        I finally saw the game replayed, and niko seemed quite lackluster. He was always watching plays happen, then running around slapping asses and shaking hands. If he would've shed a few blocks or hustled he could've made some nice plays. I forget which play it was on, but he watched foxworth and dj persue and double tackle someone, while he waltzes(literally) up to the action and gets shoved over. If he was putting some effort forth that probably wouldn't have happened, he looked WAY too loose.
                        That play you're talkin about, was the first pass of the game if im not mistaken. Foxy had Owens tied up and DJ dove on top and applied the final touches there was no play to be made. He got shoved over by the right tackle Columbo, but he got a 15 yard penalty for late hit.
                        dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

                        I tried to warn ya.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
                          That play you're talkin about, was the first pass of the game if im not mistaken. Foxy had Owens tied up and DJ dove on top and applied the final touches there was no play to be made. He got shoved over by the right tackle Columbo, but he got a 15 yard penalty for late hit.
                          There WAS a play to be made when foxworth was holding TO alone, but he made zero effort to even be a part of the play, and he had to have been going 40% on that play, he was blocked out then knocked down.

                          Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            couple thingts first off, with regards to spencer larsen at MLB...the broncos have a internatinonal MLB from mexico ahead of him right now. he isnt even listed on the depth chart for MLB, so i really doubt he has any chance of overcoming guys like beck. larsen is listed as FB on the depth chart only.

                            With regards to webster....webster is the dre bly of the MLB position. he takes chances and has a nose for the ball, but sometimes it cost him tackles and he ends up with the wrong angle and he misses them or ends up caught. however because of his style of play, he has a better chance to make game changing plays from that position. its a risky way to play, but if your OLBs are athletic it can pay dividends as far as big plays go. he aslo is very vocal and does a good job of getting people lined up.


                            with regards to niko....he is fundementally sound and its obvious he does have the tools to be a servicable MLB. he wont get the big plays but he will get the job done and miss very few tackles. however he does lack aggressivness and fire. he is bigger and sheds blocks very good. but right now he does look lost in our system. perhaps after a year he will be the dominant guy we want. we did sign him for 3 years, perhaps him looking lost is just a new system and time.


                            i would like to see what webster has this year so we know what to do with him for the future. i dont think he will be a liability, and i think we might actually see some big game turning defesnive plays from him. but we could also have some headaches as well. it really will come down to the next 2 games..........

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              FYI, Padilla isn't allowed to play in regular season games. He is a one-man International P-Squad, seperate from the 53 man roster and 8man 'squad. Great hair too

                              Agreed the next two games will decide our starting MLB since neither has it right now. Larsen has looked good so far and I look forward to seeing him getting reps in the last PS game.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X