Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New NFL rules for the 2008 season

New NFL rules for 2008
    A number of 2008 playing-rules changes were adopted by NFL owners at the NFL Annual Meeting in late March. Following are the changes, with comments from NFL head coaches and executives:

» Defensive helmet radios: Teams will now be permitted to have one defensive player on the field with a radio in his helmet. This gives the defense the same ability to communicate its signals as the offense.

"I think it's a great thing," says Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. "I've always been in favor of it."

» Incidental facemasks: The foul for incidental grasp and release of the facemask has been eliminated. Twisting, turning or pulling the facemask will remain a 15-yard personal foul.

» Forceout rule: The forceout rule has been eliminated. A player who receives or intercepts a ball must land with both feet inbounds. This affords the receiver and defender equal opportunity to complete the play.

"We feel that with so many levels of judgment that go into the force-out call it creates a more consistent play when either you get your feet down for a complete pass or you do not," says co-chairman of the NFL Competition Committee Rick McKay.

» Reviewable plays: Instant replay will expand to include field-goal and extra-point attempts as well as illegal forward handoffs. This provides a mechanism for correcting an obvious onfield officiating error.

» Second half coin toss: Clubs will now have the option to defer the opportunity to kick or receive the kickoff to the second half.

"It now gives coaches a third option," says Jeff Fisher, Tennessee Titans head coach and co-chairman of the NFL Competition Committee.

» Muffed snap: It will now be a live ball when a direct snap from center to a player who is in position to receive a hand-to-hand snap goes untouched. It was previously called a false start, but now either team may recover and advance the untouched snap.

» There will be a point of emphasis on a rule this season (although the rule itself has not changed):

Grasping the facemask by all players, including offensive players, will continue to be strictly enforced. Specific attention is to be given to the runner who twists, turns, or pulls the facemask of the defender who is trying to make the tackle.

Runners and tacklers are to be treated identically when this occurs. This action is a personal foul and a 15-yard penalty.

» NFL'S "third-quarterback" rule -- sometimes misunderstood:

Seventeen years ago (1991) the third-quarterback rule was instituted to enable teams to have an emergency quarterback available who was not on the 45-man game-day active roster, since many teams, for strategic purposes, only carried two quarterbacks on their game-day roster.

Everybody thinks they understand the NFL's "third-quarterback" rule. But do they?

The rule states that if a third quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter, a team's first two quarterbacks cannot be used in the game at any position.

Another aspect of the rule is sometimes misunderstood. It is a coach's decision as to whether a third quarterback will be used.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
    Hmm, a second half coin toss?

Some new interesting rules.

I'm glad the force out is gone... thought that was always stupid.

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

It's not a second half coin toss. The rule allows the team that wins the toss at the beginning of the game to defer which means the other team gets to decide whether they want to kick or receive and the team that won the toss gets to choose kick or receive at the beginning of the second half. This rule really does nothing. The team who loses the toss but the choice is deferred to will always choose receive because if they choose kick more than likely the other team at the beginning of the second half will choose receive resulting in the team deferred to having to kick off twice.

The only advantage of this is if a team for some reason thinks it would be to their advantage to get the ball at the beginning of the second half.
    Last edited by tdnmecudawon3; 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tdnmecudawon3 View Post
      It's not a second half coin toss. The rule allows the team that wins the toss at the beginning of the game to defer which means the other team gets to decide whether they want to kick or receive and the team that won the toss gets to choose kick or receive at the beginning of the second half. This rule really does nothing. The team who loses the toss but the choice is deferred to will always choose receive because if they choose kick more than likely the other team at the beginning of the second half will choose receive resulting in the team deferred to having to kick off twice.

The only advantage of this is if a team for some reason thinks it would be to their advantage to get the ball at the beginning of the second half.
      wow. that rule is stupid as hell.

what the heck is the point of it

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
        wow. that rule is stupid as hell.

what the heck is the point of it
        thats been part of HS and College football forever. To be honest, I didn't even realize it was NOT a part of the NFL until this year when they mentioned bringing it in

The point is if a team doesn't want to receive the kick in the first half, and are 'deferring' their decision for the second half kick. This could be due to game conditions or due to the other team's return man.

But it doesn't change much. You will NOT see it being used very often at all. There are very few times a team would even consider deferring.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
          thats been part of HS and College football forever. To be honest, I didn't even realize it was NOT a part of the NFL until this year when they mentioned bringing it in

The point is if a team doesn't want to receive the kick in the first half, and are 'deferring' their decision for the second half kick. This could be due to game conditions or due to the other team's return man.

But it doesn't change much. You will NOT see it being used very often at all. There are very few times a team would even consider deferring.
          oh ,

well hopefully this helps denver win more this season.

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
            oh ,

well hopefully this helps denver win more this season.
            I would be surprised... very surprised... if we see a single defer in the season.

Comment

So, what if your forced out of bounds? It doesn't count?

Stupid.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                I would be surprised... very surprised... if we see a single defer in the season.
                yeah, it sounds like a rule that im just going to be ignoring this season.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic View Post
                  So, what if your forced out of bounds? It doesn't count?

Stupid.
                  Yeah, I was thinking the same thing until I thought about it some more...

You have to get both feet down inbounds for it to be considered a catch. If you jump near the sidelines and get pushed out -- tough luck!

Thank you Skywalker for the Marshall sig!
                  sigpic

Thank you Damien and Darrent for the memories. You will never be forgotten!

Comment

They screwed the pooch on the force out rule. Previously, a force out called on the field was a catch. If a force out was not called on the field, instant replay didn't matter. I guess they chose to eliminate the force out all together. What they were supposed to do was this:

In the event that a force out is or is not ruled on the field of play, an instant replay may be used to confirm, at the reviewing officials discretion, whether or not the player would have caught the ball in bounds w/o being forced out of the field of play.

I just made that up off of the top of my head, and it's STILL better than what they came up with. Of course, from a defensive perspective, no more tip toeing on the sidelines like a girl.

Comment

Originally posted by McKeough View Post
                      Yeah, I was thinking the same thing until I thought about it some more...

You have to get both feet down inbounds for it to be considered a catch. If you jump near the sidelines and get pushed out -- tough luck!
                      Seriously,this rule was wacked out.As if the refs could actually know for sure he would have landed with both feet in and control of the ball.That rule was to much in favor of the offense.Finally the dbs will get their deserved credit on these plays.

Comment

I think the defer rule is not necessary. Couldn`t you just choice to kick the ball if you win the coin flip in the first place, maybe I am confused with the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

When it robs a Bronco of a touchdown or long play, Bronco fans will be ****ing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                            When it robs a Bronco of a touchdown or long play, Bronco fans will be ****ing about it.

Yup!

how did you know!?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Armada View Post
                              Yup!

how did you know!?
                              We flip flop. About everything.

"Yeah! The rules gone!"

"That's stupid they got rid of the rule!"

Comment

Working...