Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good could the Broncos be this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 Sep 08 DEN @ OAK W
    2 Sep 14 SD @ DEN W
    3 Sep 21 NO @ DEN W
    4 Sep 28 DEN @ KC W
    5 Oct 05 TB @ DEN W
    6 Oct 12 JAC @ DEN L
    7 Oct 20 DEN @ NE L
    8 Bye
    9 Nov 02 MIA @ DEN W
    10 Nov 06 DEN @ CLE L
    11 Nov 16 DEN @ ATL W
    12 Nov 23 OAK @ DEN L
    13 Nov 30 DEN @ NYJ W
    14 Dec 07 KC @ DEN W
    15 Dec 14 DEN @ CAR W
    16 Dec 21 BUF @ DEN W
    17 Dec 28 DEN @ SD L

Maybe I'm being homeristic here, but the 4-6 wins thing seems a bit unrealistic compared to the teams on our schedule. I mean, do you think that KC, TB, Oakland, Buffalo, Miami, Atlanta, NY Jets, and Carolina are all better than us? and I think we've got at least a couple of toss-up games against Jacksonville (home), Cleveland, San Diego (home), and New Orleans (home). I can understand being pessimistic by at least a few offseason moves and our production the last two years...however, I do think we've improved at least a little and are capable of winning, in a bad situation, 7-9 wins...Personally I see it in about a 9-12 win category, but that's got more of the toss-ups going for us in that

Comment

Originally posted by TDavis2008 View Post
      1 Sep 08 DEN @ OAK W
      2 Sep 14 SD @ DEN W
      3 Sep 21 NO @ DEN W
      4 Sep 28 DEN @ KC W
      5 Oct 05 TB @ DEN W
      6 Oct 12 JAC @ DEN L
      7 Oct 20 DEN @ NE L
      8 Bye
      9 Nov 02 MIA @ DEN W
      10 Nov 06 DEN @ CLE L
      11 Nov 16 DEN @ ATL W
      12 Nov 23 OAK @ DEN L
      13 Nov 30 DEN @ NYJ W
      14 Dec 07 KC @ DEN W
      15 Dec 14 DEN @ CAR W
      16 Dec 21 BUF @ DEN W
      17 Dec 28 DEN @ SD L
      You have us beating the Raiders in Oakland but losing to them in Denver, why?
      sigpic
      Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie Man View Post
        You have us beating the Raiders in Oakland but losing to them in Denver, why?
        More because I think there's always the possibility of us losing to someone we shouldn't, and I think Oakland will be a team that will improve in the second half of the season and surprise a few teams. I don't think they'll be very good in the beginning, but could be dangerous to teams like San Diego and Denver towards the end. I think Kiffin is a pretty good coach, and it'll start to really show by then.

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
          How good can we be..... With our talent lvl or lack there of depending on how you look at it...... If everything goes perfect...we are at best an 8-8 team

Jay is looking good so far... But you are asking a lot out of a QB in his third year to win with no running game and a new line. He is going to get a lot of presure this year... We are very weak up the middle... and we basically have rookie tackles.......

RB....Sure we have a few guys that look good in shorts at half speed..... But Hall and Young have shown that neither cn stay healthy.... That leaves alridge (another little guy) or Pittman....

WR.....Marshall will definatly get his, and Royal looks like a definate up and commer.... But rookie recievers always have trouble adjusting, and DJAck is washed up, Kolbert best days were at USC, and Stokley will get his, although he also has injury concerns

TE.....I love the combo that we have... I wish we could get Scheffler to block, what a weapon he would be then

DLine..... Is a little better with DRob, but he has never really been that great... Thomas is going to be a year better, but I think it is going to be to little.....DE is were we got serious problems.... EK seems to have lost a step, Moss is a joke, Crowder is looking like he has regressed fromhis rookie year, Dummervill can play, but we will see what he can do on first and second down

LB... I honestly think that this is were we are going to have the most problems..... Webster is not the answer at MLB, Bailey is always hurt and when he isnt never really does anything, he will be tourched by the TE's in our Division.... DJ is the lone bright spot...He will do well and get his.... I am still at a loss for why we ever moved him to the strong side

CB... We are solid...But it is going to be like last year.... With a total lasck of a pass rush they are going to be on an island for a long time.... No one can cover for the length of time they are going to have to

S.....Another weak spot.... McCree might be ok.... but he is just a stop gap player

So I say 8-8 is the best we can hope for.... But as far as record I will stick to my earlier prediction of anywhere from 4-6 wins
          This is actually one of the most bizarre posts I've seen and deserves to be attacked.

4-6 wins? We'll reach that within the division alone.

4-6 wins? We were 6-10 the year we threw in Brian Griese and Olands Gary

Our defense doesnt have to be amazing. All they have to do is be stout....and they can do that. Last year we started with the likes of Antwan Burton and Amon Gordon I knew WAY back then we were destined to fail. Those two tackles especially were getting blown off the ball I've seen it over and over they had no strength. With Robertson and Thomas we will hold the line of scrimmage and force RB's to slow down more often at the line of scrimmage. Mckinley and Peterson will rotate of course but the group is head, shoulders, knees and toes above last years group imo.

The LB core will run around and make plays on speed the way its supposed to be. We will be more of a swarm defense like Indy vs the run. I'm willing to bet they will be right in the middle of the pack stopping the run, or better. The main thing about our defense is we have Champ and Dre so we will be making plays and getting turnovers. We're returning to the blitz style D so Bly and Champ will have plenty balls that arent thrown perfectly anymore like last year.

Safety they are not strong, but they are not weak. They are solid guys who will be seen more stopping the run, but will play an important role as damage control to the pass game since our pass rush is still not superior. I'm sure they will also help keep our big pass plays to a minimum.

As far as offense, watch the game tonight

8-8 is unacceptable!
          Last edited by Return of Lava; 08-22-2008, 05:42 PM.
          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
            We already have the full range of opinions on this question, from the utterly fatalistic to the homeristically (new word ) optimisitic.

A lot of us believe our season's success will depend on the improvement of the defense. But while the defense is certainly important, I got to thinking of teams in the not so distant past that have been quite successful with poor defenses and that maybe we could become one of those.

We of course remember the Chiefs of not too long ago and their high-powered offense (despite no legit receivers). **** Vermiel had them in contention despite generally poor defenses just like when he won a Super Bowl with the Rams in a similar situation. And the Colts won the Super Bowl with the worst running defense in the game and were at least a very successful team before that with generally poor defenses.

So, how about our Broncos?

I'm getting pretty excited by what our offense might be able to do this year, particularly when Marshall gets back from his suspension and we have a full arsenal. I think there are very few of us here who doubt that Marshall is going to be a star in this league if he stays out of trouble. It's too early to say for sure about Eddie Royal but I also can't remember the last time a rookie receiver had earned a starting spot on the Broncos before the season arrived... and he actually looks like he deserves it. And I'm still a big fan of Stokely, Graham and Scheffler and feel like they will all be potent weapons again. If Jackson comes on, that will be gravy, but not a make or break part of our offense.

Our running backs certainly lack any star power but I feel confident they'll keep up the tradition of unknowns pounding out the yards on the ground. What I'm curious to see is whether Alridge and Torain (when healthy) can make any noise as rookies. And if Hillis stays healthy, I'm really optimistic about what he can offer not just as a blocker but as a serious receiving threat from the fullback spot.

Our offensive line has looked suprisingly good so far. Yeah, it's preseason but I thought there'd be a lot more breakdowns considering we've got a rookie at LT and a first-time starter and second-year guy at RT which is also a new position for him, Nalen not playing, Holland being too fat to play, and Hamilton uncertain after that severe concusion last season. But outside of some stupid penalties, they've looked good overall and especially in pass protection. And I firmly believe they'll improve in their run blocking as the season progresses.

And of course that leads us to young Jay Cutler. He's going into the supposedly magical third season for quarterbacks, has had his diabetes diagnosed and now under control, has regained his rocket arm, and looks thoroughly comfortable with the offense and his role as a leader on the team. If the offensive line actually protects him as well as it seems they should, I really don't see why he couldn't have a Pro Bowl season despite Manning and Brady likely locking down two of the available spots.

We obviously won't know until the team takes the field but I'm expecting a consistently high scoring offense like we haven't had in awhile. If they could hit 30+ points per game (don't laugh) then I think we'd not only challenge the Chargers for the division but also be Super Bowl contenders this season, regardless of whether or not our defense becomes top 15 (but 30th or worse would certainly hurt our chances ).

There are still a lot of question marks on this team but most of them are on defense. Yet I'm feeling optimistic enough about our offense that I think we can overcome some of the weaker areas on the team.

I'm not predicting a Super Bowl appearance just yet but I would not be surprised for the Broncos to be a sleeper team in the AFC and make some noise... at least on the offensive side of things. I just hope they don't flop tonight and make me lose some of my enthusiasm.

What do you think? Am I for starting to think contender?
            First off, very well written post.
            I agree with your enthusiasm, even though I kind of hate to say it on these boards because it seems to start the age old "negative nancy v. homeristic harold" argument, which i think most of us can do without.

One thing you didn't mention that I feel is worth a major look is special teams. New kicker, punter, and kick/punt returners. Also many of our special teams guys this year are rookies that we have high hopes for and have looked good out there (barrett, woodyard, beck)

I expect Matt Prater to either win us 2 games, or lose us 2 games, depending on whether he turns out to be clutch or not. That may seem like a lot but keep in mind Elam won something like 5 or 6 games for us last year (sorry for not checking stat, its almost kickoff)

I hate the IDEA of just getting by with a poor defense, but it is something that could work for us. Best examples I think are the Colts, Chiefs, and Rams of recent memory.

I do see the 30+ point kind of offense I last saw in the late 90's. Cutler IS going to elevate to the next level, I can see it. (And if I am wrong you guys can do a virtual burning at the stake or something)

I'm glad to see optimism, but one thing that can, and usually does bring a team down, is injuries, so lets hope we stay relatively healthy.

Go Broncos!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolverine83 View Post
              First off, very well written post.
              I agree with your enthusiasm, even though I kind of hate to say it on these boards because it seems to start the age old "negative nancy v. homeristic harold" argument, which i think most of us can do without.

One thing you didn't mention that I feel is worth a major look is special teams. New kicker, punter, and kick/punt returners. Also many of our special teams guys this year are rookies that we have high hopes for and have looked good out there (barrett, woodyard, beck)

I expect Matt Prater to either win us 2 games, or lose us 2 games, depending on whether he turns out to be clutch or not. That may seem like a lot but keep in mind Elam won something like 5 or 6 games for us last year (sorry for not checking stat, its almost kickoff)

I hate the IDEA of just getting by with a poor defense, but it is something that could work for us. Best examples I think are the Colts, Chiefs, and Rams of recent memory.

I do see the 30+ point kind of offense I last saw in the late 90's. Cutler IS going to elevate to the next level, I can see it. (And if I am wrong you guys can do a virtual burning at the stake or something)

I'm glad to see optimism, but one thing that can, and usually does bring a team down, is injuries, so lets hope we stay relatively healthy.

Go Broncos!
              thats a good point, Prater is the only one who seems not ready for they year. Im confident Paulescu will take the run and perform well as the punter, but Prater's accuracy will need to take a major jump and I dont feel good about his clutch ability. These concerns can be erased with a few clutch kicks, but if those kicks are missed we could lose those games.

Just getting to the playoffs is not a big deal to me anyway, but if we want to contend for a superbowl, we need Prater to nail them suckers!
              dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Working...
              X