Broncos, playoffs? Not so fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
    "You have to like what the Broncos have done since then. Their draft class of '06, the one that included Cutler, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil, may prove to be the greatest in franchise history."
    Positive points , Just so you see, he didn't really give us that much even though there is a lot more. Like for instance the fact that most of last season's major problems have been addressed if not solved, Dline, WR, Safety depth, Defensive scheme. and a host of possible improvments and supprises in Royal and Clady.

"Uh-huh. And there also are several starters back on a defense that allowed 409 points, more than any other AFC team that didn't lose 15 games.

A perusal of the Broncos' roster indicates that 67 of the 80 players in training camp have played two or fewer seasons in Denver. That's commonly known as a youth movement, not a playoff team waiting to happen.

the Broncos are lacking a core of such players (Experinced). And it's easy enough to see why. There are two players — D.J. Williams and Ben Hamilton — remaining from the five draft classes of 2000-04.

Granted, in today's NFL, you can't get too caught up in last season. In the past decade, an average of six teams have made the playoffs after not getting there the previous season. "
    He seems to be fixated on last years woos, but doesn't mention injuries, poor team cohesion, First year players, new players to the team, and bad defensive scheme.

Its worth pointing out that while a lot of the Defense is returning, a lot of what was wrong with them last year was new players to the team, rookies that were not ready. With many returning to a scheme that should be easier to pick up and more familiar, while we also upgraded at DT and got some people back healthy.

After that you really just got him restating things over and over.

"PLAYOFFS? "NOT SO FAST

Major news flash from Dove Valley: Jay Cutler says he has a good feel for the Broncos' offense. Not only that, he sounds good and looks good. And, may I add, the defense is looking good. Oh, and that new kicker . . . whoa, he's, like, looking really good.

It's August and it's all good at the Valley of the Dove. Except it's not.

Can I get a reality check from the congregation?

They're talking the talk and feeling the love at Broncos headquarters. How much so? When Wade Phillips brought the Cowboys to town, he could have sworn he was deep in the heart of Metroplex traffic.

"They've got a tremendous organization," Phillips said. "It's like Dallas. The fans are tremendously behind the team. They've got high expectations
    every year. I mean, I listened here earlier and they're talking about the Super Bowl. Guys are coming in here talking about the Super Bowl. A lot of other places aren't like that."

Trouble is, a lot of other places are. New England, for instance. Indianapolis. San Diego. They ought to be talking Super Bowl in those cities. Denver? After seeing the Broncos of 2006-07, I'd settle for an occasional red-zone touchdown or an opposing quarterback on the ground.

Hold the Kool-Aid already. Yes, Cutler appears primed to enter a new realm. Yes, Jim Bates, who was supposed to have all the answers, is gone. And yes, two of the other three teams in the AFC West are imminently beatable. Not only that, in the words of Pat Bowlen, "There's a new energy in the building."

Afterward, Mike Shanahan hired his third defensive coordinator in three years. Just to put that number in perspective, the Monfort Bros., at the rate they're going, will own the Rockies for 40 years and never have three general managers.

The 2007 Broncos needed four last-second field goals from Jason Elam to finish 7-9. The Browns, meanwhile, were 10-6. So why mention it here? Because those 10 wins didn't get Cleveland a playoff berth in the big, bad AFC. But the Broncos will earn one this year because, well, because they're the Broncos. And because the food is good in the cafeteria at Dove Valley.

The Buccaneers won the NFC South after finishing 4-12 in 2006. Washington snagged a wild card after a 5-11 '06 season.

Maybe the Broncos will be one of those teams. But there are a lot of reasons to think they won't be, to think that Shanahan could establish a career first: missing the playoffs for three straight years. Inexperience, for one thing. One very big thing.

Unlike the Chargers, whose roster is littered with prime-time talents at or near the prime of their careers,

But they're not ready to make the playoffs. Not here, not now, not in the AFC.

John Elway missed the playoffs six times in his first 13 seasons, during which the AFC generally was inferior to the NFC. And Cutler, surrounded by all those young players, is going to make the playoffs now that the tide has turned, now that the AFC is the powerhouse conference? No. It doesn't just take talent. It takes time.

To paraphrase that slogan on Terrell Owens' T-shirt, I love me some reality. And reality suggests in no uncertain terms that the Broncos are a work in progress, not a threat to upset the Patriots or Colts in the playoffs. Maybe next year, but not this year.

But hey, don't take my word for it. I've been known to be dead-on about these kinds of things, and I've been known to be dead wrong. We'll know soon enough, starting with the season opener at Oakland, sans Marshall.

One week later, we'll have an even clearer view. That's when the Chargers come calling at Invesco Field at Mile High. The score the last time these two hooked up along I-25? Try San Diego 41, Elam 3.

Wondering how much the Chargers respect the Broncos? We take you to San Diego, where Philip Rivers last was seen taunting Cutler from the sideline. A quarterback talking trash. Not a wide receiver punking a cornerback. A quarterback, for crying out loud, dissing another quarterback.

Forget all the speculation, all the optimism, all the feel-good talk. If the Chargers come into Invesco and win again, we'll know all we need to know. And if the Broncos win at Oakland, then beat the Chargers? Same thing. We'll know all we need to know. "

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10269929
    The rest of this is filled with nonsensical talk about last season and NFL cliche's. One reference to geography was also mentioned witch made me laugh. I guess I-25 is relevant.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post
      How can a 16-0 team not make the playoffs? Was there a rule change?
      :thumb:

Very funny!!

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
        You have to be kidding?

Who are we NOT better than?

We can beat and sweep the entire NFC South, so that's Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and New Orleans. NO and Tampa are in Denver, so the best of that group are home games.

I don't know why we could not beat Miami, the NY Jets, Buffalo or Cleveland, and we can win five of six AFC West games, including sweeping Oakland and KC, and spilt with SD.

The tough games are New England, but we ususally beat them, at San Diego but that is the last game of the season, so it likely won't mean much for us, and Jacksonsville who we have at home.

There is no reason to think the Broncos can't get to 10-6 and make the playoffs, and to me, that's conservative.
        Look in my honest opinion I dont think you win more then 6 games. You wont sweep the Chiefs. You wont sweep the Raiders, and I dont think you can beat San diego. Yeah before you would beat New England, but that was with a different roster. Your not going to beat Jacksonville. I dont think that your better then the Browns either.

Here are the teams I think you will beat. I am not talking smack...obviously listing my own taem as someone you will most likely beat. All the other teams on your schedule are tough teams, and I dont think the additions made in the offseason will push you over the hump.

KC
        Oak
        Miami
        Carolina
        Atlanta
        Jets

Comment

Originally posted by Fins4Life View Post
          Look in my honest opinion I dont think you win more then 6 games. You wont sweep the Chiefs. You wont sweep the Raiders, and I dont think you can beat San diego. Yeah before you would beat New England, but that was with a different roster. Your not going to beat Jacksonville. I dont think that your better then the Browns either.

Here are the teams I think you will beat. I am not talking smack...obviously listing my own taem as someone you will most likely beat. All the other teams on your schedule are tough teams, and I dont think the additions made in the offseason will push you over the hump.

KC
          Oak
          Miami
          Carolina
          Atlanta
          Jets
          Lets just hope your ability to predict is as good as your FF skills.
          You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Originally posted by Fins4Life View Post

KC
            Oak
            Miami
            Carolina
            Atlanta
            Jets
            Also I'd have to disagree with you.

This team finished 30th against the run and won seven games. Teams that finish at the bottom tend to be picking top 3 in the draft... maybe top 5. I think it says a lot about other units on this team.

Stop the run and we fix a whole lot of problems. Just my opinion.
            You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Originally posted by Freestyle View Post
              Also I'd have to disagree with you.

This team finished 30th against the run and won seven games. Teams that finish at the bottom tend to be picking top 3 in the draft... maybe top 5. I think it says a lot about other units on this team.

Stop the run and we fix a whole lot of problems. Just my opinion.
              I could be wrong...but I could also be right

Comment

Originally posted by Freestyle View Post
                Lets just hope your ability to predict is as good as your FF skills.
                Hey Buddy check my fantasy profile, and you will see TWO championship trophies, one of which came last year BTW your cold as ice baby!!! LOL LOL

Comment

The Broncos' defense will improve from being one of the league's worst to being middle of the pack.

The Broncos' offense will improve from being one of the league's worst (at scoring) to being average or slightly above average.

The Broncos' special teams will benefit greatly from Prater's ability to kick it into the endzone. Royal will help in the return game. However, gone are the days when Elam would win the game on a last-second pressure field goal. If special teams could be ranked, the Broncos' special teams would rank somewhere around 21.

Given their weak schedule, the Broncos will win at least 8 games, perhaps as many as 10 or 11 if they are very lucky. They won't be a super bowl contender, but they will be better than last year's 7-9 (4-12) team.

Comment

Working...
                  X