The Best QB ever to play the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best QB ever to play the game?

John Elway, Dan Marino, Joe Montana or Johnny Unitis? in your humble un-biased opnion who racks up to being the number 1 greatest QB of all time and why?
    John Elway
    64.47%
    Dan Marino
    2.63%
    Joe Montana
    18.42%
    Johnny Unitis
    2.63%
    Other
    11.84%
    Last edited by shannhanfan77; 08-25-2008, 07:40 AM.
    GO Broncos!!

Unitas, old school, the prototype for the modern QB, also holds the record for most consecutive games with a TD pass.
    A book I wrote

Comment

Here we go................again.

Comment

What the hell, how do you not have Brett Favre on that list? He has broken all of the records of the guys you have in that poll - plus he does have a SB ring.
        sigpic

Comment

John Elway is clearly the best quarterback to ever play the game. No other quarterback did what he did. He came closer than anyone to being a one man team prior to Shanahan becoming the head coach of the Broncos. He made the mediocre talent around him look a lot better than it really was. He put the team on his back and took them to three Super Bowls. Unfortunately, one man is not enough to win a championship. In those three Super Bowls, the rest of the team was there physically but not in spirit.

Shanahan proved what a team can do with a great quarterback, if you surround him with excellent to great talent. But, Elway's greatness was proven before then with his individual play. And that is what you have to look at and analyze when determining if a player is great or something less than great.

Football is a team sport and ultimately what the team accomplishes is the result of the efforts of all the players on that team. It's not about Super Bowl wins or even statistics when talking about quarterbacks. Teams win Super Bowls. A quarterback's statistics are more reliant on others than any other skill player. When he throws the ball 5 yards to his receiver and the receiver runs 75 more yards for a touchdown, the quarterback gets credit for an 80 yard reception and a touchdown, even though the receiver did most of the work. I have never bought in to the notion that quarterbacks should be judged solely by wins and Super Bowl championships. I think it's unfair and misleading.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I had to say Elway because of my Homeritis, but I think Bart Starr should be on the list

Comment

Brett Farve, Peyton Manning.

Hopelessly devoted to the Prankster

Comment

Jake Plummer! hahahaha. I am joking though!

I dont rate Peyton Manning that much, he is the best in the league by far on intelligence and having the perfect head for the game. But he has always had awesome OL and WRs. His arm is consistant but not amazingly special.

Im not saying hes bad, but best ever its a bit too far!

Comment

Tom Brady, he will have most superbowl rings before hes done.
                  sigpic

Comment

it's joe and it's not even close

he never lost a sb and he never threw an int in the superbowl.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic View Post
                      Tom Brady, he will have most superbowl rings before hes done.
                      he'll never have what montana has though, a clean sb record and no ints in a superbowl
                      sigpic

Comment

listen, my homerism is obviosly with John, but when you look at the back issues....super bowl wins......... and the fact that he beat us wearimg a Kansas City uniform in the last minute.....I have to give the Best ever to Montana.....with John as a very close second best ever....Remember......I am a purest in thinkng that Elway is and always will be the MAN !!!!!!!

{ But i humbely concede that Montana is the best ever.... }

Skeeter 01 :-(

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                          he'll never have what montana has though, a clean sb record and no ints in a superbowl
                          If that is your sole gauge for the best.. then fine. But its not mine. I want the best PLAYER.

I think Elway could have won 6 SBs if he had the team around him Montana had, and I dn't think Montana woud have had the success he had if he was on Elway's team.

Thats how I personally look at it. Who was the best PLAYER..... not the most rings. Thats like saying that Trent Dilfer, Williams, Rypien, and Johns are all better than Marino because they have more rings.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                            Yea, i would agree. But, people remember you when you've won more SB's rather than when you lost. And that int stat is just a.........stat. I could post up the numbers tom brady has over joe montana, but thats really irrelevant IMO. The only stat that matters is SB wins. Tom Brady will be the best once all set and done. Montana had Great wide recievers, including the best of all-time (jerry rice) Moss is nice, but no Rice. Although i would say that the current rules are more fair towards the offense than what they were back in the 80's. Joe montana was a Great QB, But IMO, Tom Brady is the Better qb.
                            sigpic

Comment

The reason I ask this question is because lots of people have different list for the top 10 QB's of all time. its usually Joe Montana, Johnny U or Tom Brady thats number one. Cloest John Elway has came has been number 2 spot. I thinks its clearly because he hasnt won alot of SB. if you compare all those games to stats John elway comes maybe 3rd on the list even though we are all biased because we love John Elway but I deff think he is one of the top 10 QB if not one of the top 5 best QB I just dont know if he is number one.
                              GO Broncos!!

Comment

Working...
                              X