Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim Rattay

Early NFL Years

Rattay was drafted in the seventh round of the 2000 NFL Draft, 212th overall, by the San Francisco 49ers. The New England Patriots considered drafting him in the sixth round with their 199th pick but were having trouble deciding between Rattay and a fellow college star, Michigan's Tom Brady. In the end Rattay had the edge in physical measurable stats and overall athletic talent, but for reasons unknown they gave Brady the edge in intelligence and polish. This is a mistake the Patriots have regretted ever since.

Comment

It is Cutler hands down...

For reals though... Alex Smith

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
        it's joe and it's not even close

he never lost a sb and he never threw an int in the superbowl.
        I agree. Joe Montana, no questions asked. Best to ever play. I do love Elway, but Montana was better. Sure, you can say the team was better around him. But I say the team looks great also because Joe is sweet at throwing them the ball...or the D is gmae planning for Joe, so the RB is all over the place with weak defensive packages in the box

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Lights View Post
          Tim Rattay
          hahah, oh man, where did you find that quote? that is gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
            If that is your sole gauge for the best.. then fine. But its not mine. I want the best PLAYER.

I think Elway could have won 6 SBs if he had the team around him Montana had, and I dn't think Montana woud have had the success he had if he was on Elway's team.

Thats how I personally look at it. Who was the best PLAYER..... not the most rings. Thats like saying that Trent Dilfer, Williams, Rypien, and Johns are all better than Marino because they have more rings.
            that's only your opinion because you're a broncos fan

i however am not a 49ers fan

unbiased: for the win....
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic View Post
              Yea, i would agree. But, people remember you when you've won more SB's rather than when you lost. And that int stat is just a.........stat. I could post up the numbers tom brady has over joe montana, but thats really irrelevant IMO. The only stat that matters is SB wins. Tom Brady will be the best once all set and done. Montana had Great wide recievers, including the best of all-time (jerry rice) Moss is nice, but no Rice. Although i would say that the current rules are more fair towards the offense than what they were back in the 80's. Joe montana was a Great QB, But IMO, Tom Brady is the Better qb.
              hey when you're perfect in sbs like montana was, ya gotta go by that in my opinion, as for great wrs, no proof that joe didn't have a huge part in making them great
              sigpic

Comment

Elway cause Montana always had better teams around him, a better system, better coach, etc. etc.

Comment

I gotta say Elway....Just for the fact that if you put him in with the talent that Montana Had he would put up just crazy sick numbers.....My number two is Joe Montana.....Like a few other posters said it is just sick what he did in SB's the guy was the ultimate big game QB
                  Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Easy, Montana.

I believe I remember hearing he never threw an INT in a Championship game. That, along with the Rings, say it all.

Comment

Perhaps you should have specified the modern era, but Otto Graham is often considered to be the best QB ever to play the game because every year that he started and his team was healthy, they won the championship.

If the goal is to be the champion in a season, the QB that does it the most and most consistently would have to be considered among the best, if not the best.
                      You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Let me start with my deepest disgust for Dan Marino. The guy never played with a team mentality. Always wanted to show off his passing ability and thus never found the "Holy Grail" that just about all the "elite" QB's have found. Screw his stats. QB greatness to me is measured by selflessness in that position, something Farve didn't show the Packers the last few years, by waiting till the last moment after the draft and just b4 camp to make his decisions to play. I'd pick any of the other greats over those 2 IMHO. But my homerism gives me Elway blindness and leave me with this vision......"The Elway helicopter flying body sacrifice" in the SB. Definetly not one of his better games, but he knew when to hold em' and he knew when to fold em'. Nuff said!
                        #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                          Perhaps you should have specified the modern era, but Otto Graham is often considered to be the best QB ever to play the game because every year that he started and his team was healthy, they won the championship.

If the goal is to be the champion in a season, the QB that does it the most and most consistently would have to be considered among the best, if not the best.
                          My new favorite poster.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shutdown View Post
                            hahah, oh man, where did you find that quote? that is gold.
                            Heres the whole article

Early Life

Rattay was born March 15, 1977 in Elyria, Ohio. Rumor states that his birth was accompanied by a choir of angels and three wise men, though these reports are unsubstantiated. In time he moved to Arizona and attended Phoenix Christian High School where he played quarterback and defensive back, as well as basketball, and starred at both sports, setting state records in football.
                            [edit]
                            College Career

Upon his graduation he went on to Louisiana Tech where he starred at quarterback and led the NCAA in awesome. He started all 33 game he appeared in, throwing at least one touchdown pass in all but one of them. He currently holds the NCAA Division I-A record for average passing yards per game with 386.2, and is only the second player in NCAA history to 12,643 yards of total offense.
                            [edit]
                            Pro Career

Tim Rattay's professional career is long and storied, and continues to be to this day.
                            [edit]
                            Early NFL Years

Rattay was drafted in the seventh round of the 2000 NFL Draft, 212th overall, by the San Francisco 49ers. The New England Patriots considered drafting him in the sixth round with their 199th pick but were having trouble deciding between Rattay and a fellow college star, Michigan's Tom Brady. In the end Rattay had the edge in physical measurable stats and overall athletic talent, but for reasons unknown they gave Brady the edge in intelligence and polish. This is a mistake the Patriots have regretted ever since.

His early years with the 49ers were uneventful. He was designated third quarterback, seeing his first career live game action against San Diego in a 45-17 win. While he only had one complete pass for -4 yards, his eventual stardom was evident. The following year he had a legendary year, completing 100% of his passes for an average of 10.5 yards per attempt with a quarterback rating of 110.4.
                            [edit]
                            Rattay's First Pro Start

He would continue to astound audiences and players on both teams in relief efforts until 2003 when he got his first start for the injured and probably homosexual Jeff Garcia against the St. Louis Rams on November 2, a day which remains legendary in NFL lore.

Few sportswriters or even fans gave the 49ers a chance against the dominant Rams, still Super Bowl contenders during the Greatest Show On Turf era. Odds were against our hero, but many diehard fans believed in him. The crowd was noisy in their support, lending what help they could.

After the opening kickoff was returned for a touchdown and the defense did their job, Rattay took the field, ready to prove the doubters wrong and show that even the mighty Rams were no match for his incredible talent and iron will. At the end of the day, all his critics were silenced. The mighty Rams had fallen, and fallen hard, by a score of 30-10. Rattay was simply dominant, passing for 236 yards and three touchdowns, with a completion percentage of 65.5 and a quarterback rating of 110.7.
                            [edit]
                            The Remainder of the 2003 Season

Despite his Herculean effort and overwhelming victory in his first start, doubters still existed. He would get his second start against the Pittsburgh Steelers on November 17, and many insisted he would come back to earth, that his astounding success was merely a fluke. Those critics were at a loss for words by the end of the day.

San Francisco again dominated offensively, winning by a score of 30-14. Rattay's stats were even more impressive this time around with 254 yards and two touchdowns, 77.8% completions and an inhumanly high quarterback rating of 130.6. Even his fiercest opponents hailed him as a professional football demigod. Parades were held in his honor and women threw themselves at him in the street.

Unfortunately, even the best quarterbacks can't be perfect, and Rattay again entered the realm of mortals against the 49ers arch nemeses, the Green Bay Packers. His team lost, the first loss of his career, and he merely posted a rating of 57.9, respectable but not nearly up to his lofty standards.

The following week Garcia was declared healthy enough to reclaim his starting spot and was granted it, a move regretted by coaches and fans alike years later. Garcia managed to lead the same team which had decimated St. Louis and Pittsburgh to a crushing 44-6 loss to Baltimore. This led to wide receiver Terrell Owens to say the only true and intelligent thing he has ever said in his entire life and call for Rattay's return to the starting role, a call which was unheeded and led to his eventual departure and psychological implosion.
                            [edit]
                            Rattay's Rise and Fall

The 49ers parted with Garcia following the season and annointed Rattay the starter. Unfortunately they also parted with essentially the entire core of the team, jettisoning the starter at every offensive skill position. Even a legendary man among boys like Rattay couldn't make something of nothing, and though he ended the season with a respectable (especially considering the circumstances) quarterback rating of 78.1 he was blamed in part for the 2-14 season.

The primary theory is that he simply set the bar too high. His unparalelled greateness in his starts the season before made the coaching staff and front office expect too much, and although he has incredible talents football is a team sport and he needed talent around him. The responsibility to give him that talent fell on the front office, and rather than take the blame they passed it on to him. Regardless it wasn't enough and the coach and general manager were both fired upon the season's end.
                            [edit]
                            The 49ers' Betrayal

2005 brought a new coach to the 49ers, Mike Nolan. Hope was high that he would surround Rattay with competent players and allow him to again reach his potential. Unfortunately Nolan, a usually reasonable man, made one of the biggest mistakes of his life. He believed the irrational lies of the previous regime and accepted that Rattay was part of the problem rather than part of the solution and elected to use the first overall pick on quarterback Alex Smith.

Rattay, though, was down but not out. Despite the odds stacked against him he played hard and retained his starting job, beating out Smith in training camp. But it was not to be. Nolan's stubborn adherence to his prior poor decision led him to look for any chance to sabotage Rattay. And he sadly got that chance when Rattay was injured. Smith stepped in and embarrassed himself, unable to live up to the lofty bar set earlier in the year by Rattay, who had defied all odds by leading his team to a win over the St. Louis Rams in Week 1.

Rather than admit his mistake and let Rattay start, or leave Rattay on the roster, Nolan elected to shield the end result of his misjudgement and banish Rattay to Tampa in one of the most ill-advised trades in NFL history. The city of San Francisco and 49ers fans worldwide fell into a period of deep mourning.
                            [edit]
                            Present and Future

Unfortunately, as seems to be the trend in Rattay's career, he is surrounded by doubters. The coaching staff in Tampa, faced with lingering injuries to starter and pretty-boy Chris Simms, are hesitant to trust Rattay with the backup spot. In fact they signed vastly inferior quarterback Jay Fiedler to compete with Rattay in camp.

However, Rattay always faces these challenges head-on and he always wins when given a fair shot. There is no doubt in the hearts and minds of his leigons of fans that Rattay will triumph, initially claiming the spot as primary backup, and likely usurping Simms as starter. No obstacle, be it ignorant coaches or a complete lack of talent, will prevent Rattay from reaching his eventual destiny, to be a Super Bowl winner and member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
                            Retrieved from "http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Tim_Rattay"

Categories: NFL | Quarterbacks that are better than Tom Brady

Comment

What

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                              it's joe and it's not even close

he never lost a sb and he never threw an int in the superbowl.
                              You are saying it isnt even close b/c he never lost a superbowl????????????
                              He was great im not saying he wasnt, but if what you are saying is true then him and Terry Bradshaw are the best 2 of ALLTIME? That is what you are saying correct? TB never lost one either 4-0 and he isnt even close to the best

Comment

Just to toss this out there as an argument for John... what round/pick was Brady or Montana drafted? Not only was John a Heisman fianlist, he was a #1 overall pick. Slow down right there... so was Ryan Leaf... so, here's the point... he came into the league as a #1 with all that #1 pressure on him and he STILL did all that we remember and dream for Cutler to do. It can be argued that coming into the league as a third or sixth rounder does not equal a lot of team/fan expectations or pressure. Montana, as I recall, was drafted because Walsh some something out of him that he thought fit HIS system, but did not reach and take him as #1. Brady was drafted as the best available at the pick and as a need, but again, he was not brought in to be the man, they had Bledsoe at the time. Elway was drafted #1 as the BEST player on the board with the hopes of turning a franchise around. I can go circles here all day... it can be argued that Brady and Montana did indeed turn franchises around... but again, to kick this dead horse... where were they drafted and with what expectations put on em?
                                *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                                *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                                *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Working...
                                X