No announcement yet.

The Best QB ever to play the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marino. If he had 16 games instead of 14 like Peyton/Brady have then he would still have to record for most TD passes in a season. His stats are just behind Brett Favre on career but Brett also has the most INT's ever, there is no way he can be the best. Montana and Aikman both benefitted from great teams. Rice made Montana, Aikman would have been average without his supporting cast. My list goes:

Marino
    Elway
    Tarkenton
    sigpic
    Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Well . . .

Elway is certainly the greatest of all my time.

Nonetheless, here are some interesting testimonials:

# "John Elway is the master of the inconceivable pass thrown to the unreachable spot."--Pat Summerall, FOX Analyst and Former NY Giant

Originally posted by Rick Reilly
      So far in Elway's career, his offensive linemen and wide receivers have been voted to the Pro Bowl a combined seven times. In Dan Marino's 15 seasons, Miami Dolphins offensive linemen and wide receivers have been selected to the Pro Bowl 30 times. Though usually surrounded by a human rummage sale, Elway has won more games as a starter than any other quarterback in NFL history (138). It's the equivalent of carving Mount Rushmore with a spoon or composing Beethoven's Ninth on a kazoo.

But Elway's career has been about more than just winning. It has been about escaping defeat a half page from the end of the novel, leaping over pits of fire with the microdot hidden in his cigarette lighter. . . . He may be the only quarterback in history who could stand on his own two-yard line, trailing by five with less than two minutes to play, no timeouts left, windchill –5, and cause the opposing coach to mutter, ‘We're in trouble.' (Sports Illustrated, qtd. in Austin Murphy's The Super Bowl: Sports Greatest Championship)

# "I used to strain every muscle in my body to throw 70 yards, and he [Elway] stands there and flicks his wrist."--Otto Graham

# "Everyone should realize that John is special. We might not have seen anyone quite like him before."--Joe Namath

# "With his arm strength and mobility, he was a rare combination of talents. I don't know if I've seen a quarterback who had the ability to run and the ability to throw in one package like John Elway. He is certainly a player that will be missed in the NFL. He was a great asset to our league."--Bill Parcells

# "He's the Lou Gehrig of that [quarterback] position."--Wade Phillips

# "If you take everything in consideration, he's the best to play the position. . . . I think you can build a strong case that he's the best to play." --Jim Fassel

Originally posted by Don Pierson, MSNBC
      A quarterback carries a team. Elway leaves with 47 game-saving drives, more than any quarterback in NFL history. That 98-yarder against Cleveland in the 1986 AFC title game was hardly a fluke. Six of his fourth-quarter rebounds came in the postseason.

A quarterback passes, but that is only a part of his job. A good and efficient passer isn't by definition a good quarterback. Only Miami's Dan Marino has thrown for more yards than Elway. Only Marino and Tarkenton have thrown for more touchdowns. Neither Marino nor Tarkenton has won it all. Marino made it to only one Super Bowl.

A quarterback inspires. In Elway's case, he awes. Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw won four Super Bowls apiece.

. . . But Montana and Bradshaw had better teams, and (Otto) Graham played in the days before playoff tournaments required more than one victory to reach the title game. None of them threw as far or ran as well or loomed as large as Elway, who was expected to win from the start and rarely let anyone down. Nobody ever scrambled and threw off balance like Elway.

Of all the attributes that characterize Elway, Marino hits on the one that he most admires, the one that puts him over the top: "His ability to create on his own. The one thing that goes with John is his ability to come back and bring a team up from defeat. It's something very special that a lot of players don't have.

No quarterback ever had more ways to beat you by himself than Elway. He never had Jerry Rice or a Steel Curtain and only recently got his Franco Harris and Tony Dorsett.

While other quarterbacks deserve to be revered, Elway was the one most to be feared."

# "John Elway is the Michael Jordan of the NFL. You expect every one of Jordan's shots to go in the basket, and you expect every one of John's passes to be something special."--Joe Theisman, former Redskins QB and ESPN Analyst, qtd. in Latimer's John Elway: Armed and Dangerous

# Says Marty Schottenheimer, who coached Montana late in his career and lost 15 games to Elway: 'All things being equal, John may have been the best because of the ability to improvise and the ability to do all those different things.' "

# "The thing that was so impressive to me was the concentration level and the poise in thriving on pressure. He knew, he believed that he was so prepared, so physically in shape, that if he was put in that situation, he would win. And that's why, as Pat [Bowlen] just said, I believe he's the best quarterback ever to play the game."--Mike Shanahan

# "[Elway is] extremely well-trained. He makes great use of his legs. I've been impressed when he's had to scramble and then he has to come to a position of throwing. When he's rolled out and regained his position, that's when you see the fundamentals come into play, because he seldom over-strides. And it's easy to over-stride, after all that moving. But he comes back into control and regains that rhythm."--Bart Starr

Originally posted by John Madden
      But, whoever you choose to put on the 'best ever' list, Joe Montana or no Joe Montana, clearly, John Elway is on there, too. . . .

I don't think there are 10 who can play the game the way it's set up to be played. There's Brett Favre and Steve Young, obviously, and Elway and Dan Marino. Elway and Marino make an interesting pair; they sort of belong together. They were both number one draft picks in the same year, and they've both been great for a long time.

Now, I don't think Elway needed to win those two Super Bowls to prove that he's a great quarterback, but the fact is, now he can say he's done everything there is to do in the game. He's done it all.

Dan Marino's what I call a 'Yeah, but . . .' guy. As great as he is and as great as he's been, people will always say, 'Yeah, but he never won a Super Bowl.' I think Marino's going to have to live with that for a long time.

People used to talk about all the Super Bowls Elway lost. Well, I called a few of those games, and what people seem to forget is that those teams weren't that good. John Elway was the sole reason why those Bronco teams were playing in the Super Bowl. He was the closest thing to a one-man gang I've ever seen. Elway absolutely thrived under pressure. When you got down to the end of the game and his team was behind, he knew what to do. He was one of the few quarterbacks to play the game who really knew the game. He knew what to do, how to move the ball, how to save time. And he relished those decisions.

A lot of people say they want the ball to take the last shot, but there's not a lot of them who really want it.

John Elway wanted the ball.

# "I've seen every quarterback ever produced of note--Sid Luckman, Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas--and nobody impressed me as much as John Elway, especially his ability to come from behind. He's the best two-minute quarterback I've ever seen. He's the all-time comeback king."--Art Modell

# "Here's another great athlete most people don't think of : John Elway. ... And the funny thing with John is he looks all awkward and pigeon-toed and gimpy, but he can run. I'm like everyone else. I watch him take off and I'm afraid his knees are going to buckle. But he can move. ... Over the years people have compared me to John because we both have strong arms and we both make things happen on the field. I'm flattered by the comparison. John's one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game."--Brett Favre

# "John Elway had raw star quality. . . . And his arm was a fearsome weapon of mass production. . . . John Elway is a player."--Clay Latimer

# "If anyone had any doubts about John being ranked up there with the best that have ever played this game, then the last two Super Bowls should have washed all of that away. He had proven that he could win the biggest games of them all, so there was nothing left to prove. He has done it all."--Dan Reeves

-----

And one each from a couple persons who ought to know:

# "Number Seven is a bad dude. I mean a really bad dude."--Rod Smith

# "My hero? I guess that would have to be Number Seven. I see him everyday, and I see how he handles everything. I talk to John all of the time, and he's been a model for me."--Terrell Davis

-----

http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/existence/Ewyrem.html

-----

Comment

Great read. It certainly brought back memories.
        sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by shannhanfan77 View Post
          John Elway, Dan Marino, Joe Montana or Johnny Unitis? in your humble un-biased opnion who racks up to being the number 1 greatest QB of all time and why?

Gino Toretta isn't on here!!! What are you thinking????!!!!
          MEL KIPER IS TERRIBLE!!!!
          Best Pick-S Josh Barrett
          Worst Pick-WR Eddie Royal
          Sleeper Pick-RB Ryan Torian
          “Huh?” Pick-OT Ryan Clady
          Overall: B
          Denver broncos 08 draft Analyzed by Mel Kiper

HE'S THE REAL DEAL!

Comment

What if Elway was on those 49'ers teams. This wouldn't even be a topic. Elway did more with less. He wins hands down.
            Science Bless

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe View Post
              Nonetheless, here are some interesting testimonials:[/B][/COLOR]
              That almost brought tears to my eyes Very good read I must say. Really makes one see how special it was to have watched ol' #7 toss that pigskin around.
              #swapping

Comment

Its obvious that all the fans on this site are going to be a little bit biased.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe View Post
                  Elway is certainly the greatest of all my time.

Nonetheless, here are some interesting testimonials:

# "John Elway is the master of the inconceivable pass thrown to the unreachable spot."--Pat Summerall, FOX Analyst and Former NY Giant

# "I used to strain every muscle in my body to throw 70 yards, and he [Elway] stands there and flicks his wrist."--Otto Graham

# "Everyone should realize that John is special. We might not have seen anyone quite like him before."--Joe Namath

# "With his arm strength and mobility, he was a rare combination of talents. I don't know if I've seen a quarterback who had the ability to run and the ability to throw in one package like John Elway. He is certainly a player that will be missed in the NFL. He was a great asset to our league."--Bill Parcells

# "He's the Lou Gehrig of that [quarterback] position."--Wade Phillips

# "If you take everything in consideration, he's the best to play the position. . . . I think you can build a strong case that he's the best to play." --Jim Fassel

# "John Elway is the Michael Jordan of the NFL. You expect every one of Jordan's shots to go in the basket, and you expect every one of John's passes to be something special."--Joe Theisman, former Redskins QB and ESPN Analyst, qtd. in Latimer's John Elway: Armed and Dangerous

# Says Marty Schottenheimer, who coached Montana late in his career and lost 15 games to Elway: 'All things being equal, John may have been the best because of the ability to improvise and the ability to do all those different things.' "

# "The thing that was so impressive to me was the concentration level and the poise in thriving on pressure. He knew, he believed that he was so prepared, so physically in shape, that if he was put in that situation, he would win. And that's why, as Pat [Bowlen] just said, I believe he's the best quarterback ever to play the game."--Mike Shanahan

# "[Elway is] extremely well-trained. He makes great use of his legs. I've been impressed when he's had to scramble and then he has to come to a position of throwing. When he's rolled out and regained his position, that's when you see the fundamentals come into play, because he seldom over-strides. And it's easy to over-stride, after all that moving. But he comes back into control and regains that rhythm."--Bart Starr

# "I've seen every quarterback ever produced of note--Sid Luckman, Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas--and nobody impressed me as much as John Elway, especially his ability to come from behind. He's the best two-minute quarterback I've ever seen. He's the all-time comeback king."--Art Modell

# "Here's another great athlete most people don't think of : John Elway. ... And the funny thing with John is he looks all awkward and pigeon-toed and gimpy, but he can run. I'm like everyone else. I watch him take off and I'm afraid his knees are going to buckle. But he can move. ... Over the years people have compared me to John because we both have strong arms and we both make things happen on the field. I'm flattered by the comparison. John's one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game."--Brett Favre

# "John Elway had raw star quality. . . . And his arm was a fearsome weapon of mass production. . . . John Elway is a player."--Clay Latimer

# "If anyone had any doubts about John being ranked up there with the best that have ever played this game, then the last two Super Bowls should have washed all of that away. He had proven that he could win the biggest games of them all, so there was nothing left to prove. He has done it all."--Dan Reeves

-----

And one each from a couple persons who ought to know:

# "Number Seven is a bad dude. I mean a really bad dude."--Rod Smith

# "My hero? I guess that would have to be Number Seven. I see him everyday, and I see how he handles everything. I talk to John all of the time, and he's been a model for me."--Terrell Davis

-----

http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/existence/Ewyrem.html

-----
                  Wait..... aren't these all biased opinions???

I have Pat Summerall's quote posted in my office.. I love that quote

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                    that's only your opinion because you're a broncos fan

i however am not a 49ers fan

unbiased: for the win....
                    Ohhhhhh... its YOUR opinion... well that changes EVERYTHING.

GEE.. who would have thought that a Chargers fan would have an UNBIASED opinion based on how a BRONCO player is rated!!!

Unbiased: Rings don't make the man. I'm not a Miami fan, but I can see that Trent Dilfer is not a better QB than Dan Marino. I'm not a TB fan, but I know that Brad Johnson is not a better QB than Fran Tarkenton.

How about this. I'm not a Charger fan, but I know that Dan Fouts is a better QB than Doug Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                      Ohhhhhh... its YOUR opinion... well that changes EVERYTHING.

GEE.. who would have thought that a Chargers fan would have an UNBIASED opinion based on how a BRONCO player is rated!!!

Unbiased: Rings don't make the man. I'm not a Miami fan, but I can see that Trent Dilfer is not a better QB than Dan Marino. I'm not a TB fan, but I know that Brad Johnson is not a better QB than Fran Tarkenton.

How about this. I'm not a Charger fan, but I know that Dan Fouts is a better QB than Doug Williams.
                      give the charger's fan a break.....

he's only been introduced into the NFL in 95 and the past four years.....he's new at this stuff
                      "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
                      -The best in the business-

Comment

I lived in the bay area most of my life. My girlfriend (at the time) had season tickets to the 9ers games. Joe was an amazing QB. That being said, the 9ers as a whole were amazing. I've seen countless number of 9er games living there. They had perhaps the best coach in Walsh and he had the made the best assistants (Shanahan, Reid, Holmgren, etc). Montana had great personnel around him.

I'll put Joe at no. 2 for the fact that Elway had nobody around him. Reeves was a coach who heavily favored the running game. It wasn't until Wade Phillips got here that he was able to showcase Elway's true talent.

It's already been said, but if you put Elway on the 9er's teams of the 80s, he wins 5-6 SBs. And vice-versa, if you put Montana on Elway's teams, he probably would've been beat by a very good Cleveland team

Comment

And remember how bogus it was that Elway was not in espn's top 50 athletes.

Comment

Elway did more with less than any other QB in history that is a fact. On some years he had good defenses and average offenses. Other years bad defenses and a terrible offense.

I remember years when the Broncos could not block and Elway ran for his life, and still found ways to win ball games.

It wasn't until Shanahan came in gave Elway the supporting cast he needed to prove what kind of player he is/could be.

Montana, Marino, Unitas..Manning, Brady all had better offenses over the span of their careers than Elway did, which is the reason he is the #1 guy.
                            sigpic

In this picture, Rivers explains why he thinks he is so good.

Is that Y=LT?

Comment

Originally posted by AznBroncoFan View Post
                              And remember how bogus it was that Elway was not in espn's top 50 athletes.
                              ESPN was banned in my home for the rest of that year after that one!
                              #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
                                Marino. If he had 16 games instead of 14 like Peyton/Brady have then he would still have to record for most TD passes in a season. His stats are just behind Brett Favre on career but Brett also has the most INT's ever, there is no way he can be the best. Montana and Aikman both benefitted from great teams. Rice made Montana, Aikman would have been average without his supporting cast. My list goes:

Marino
                                Elway
                                Tarkenton
                                You do realize that Dan Marino played 16 game regular seasons don't you? Unless there's another Marino that I'm missing.

Elway is the greatest anyway so it doesn't really matter.
                                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                                You Mad Bro?
                                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
                                X