Clear All

• maruske845
    replied
    well on this board.

people will say Elway

but the greatest QB. is Dan Marino.

QB's are to oass.
    and no one did it better.
    Last edited by maruske845; 08-28-2008, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by Wisconsin'sbiggestbroncosfan View Post
    It is really hard to say who is number one. I'd have to give props to Johnny U, cuz it's not about the SB rings, it's about the calibur of the QB. Look at Marino.
    True it is hard.....very subjective.....but Marino was allowed to do his thing much more....pass-pass-pass.....than Elway was. When a team has a high caliber QB like Marino, Montana, Brady or Elway, the coach needs to utilize them to the max. Dan Reeves didn't do that with Elway for the most part and when he did, it was third down and long a high percentage of the time. What a shame and a waste and of talent....in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Wisconsin'sbiggestbroncosfan
    replied
    It is really hard to say who is number one. I'd have to give props to Johnny U, cuz it's not about the SB rings, it's about the calibur of the QB. Look at Marino.

Leave a comment:

• Combo1985
    replied
    Originally posted by DawgFanatic View Post
    Yea, i would agree. But, people remember you when you've won more SB's rather than when you lost. And that int stat is just a.........stat. I could post up the numbers tom brady has over joe montana, but thats really irrelevant IMO. The only stat that matters is SB wins. Tom Brady will be the best once all set and done. Montana had Great wide recievers, including the best of all-time (jerry rice) Moss is nice, but no Rice. Although i would say that the current rules are more fair towards the offense than what they were back in the 80's. Joe montana was a Great QB, But IMO, Tom Brady is the Better qb.
    I know this is sort of off subject... but Brady Quinn sucks

Leave a comment:

• DieHard
    replied

Absolutley no question ELWAY.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by martz11 View Post
    He was great in his day but come'on...6'1 195 lbs??? He wouldn't last through a season in todays game.

Besides you have to choose qb's to be great in different era's. I don't believe comparing Montana to say Brady is fair. Or Unitas to Marino. Each era had a great qb.
    I'm confused. You say you shouldn't compare and that each era had its own great QB, but you say Unitas was too small????

That shouldn't matter. You can't compare the size of a player today as opposed to yesterday. The fact is that those players were playing against their peers, just as today is. THose athletes couldn't dedicate their bodies and their training from day 1 of birth to be professional athletes. They didn't have a gym on every corner with personal trainers and dedicated coaches. They didn't have the diet and lifting regime that we have today for the athletes. They didn't have trainers and whirlpools to help heal.

Why isn't comparing Montana to Brady fair?? You don't think Montana could play in today's football game???? Seriously? You are wrong if you think that.

Leave a comment:

• Kaylore
    replied
    Top five all time

1. John Elway
    2. Johnny Unitas
    3. Joe Montana
    4. Otto Graham
    5. Dan Marino

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    I choose John Elway because when compared to some of the other great QB's listed, Elway was obviously more talented (Joe Namath) but more importantly, if Elway had been used by Dan "Dumb Ass" Reeves like Dan Marino was used in Miami, Elway would own all of the major QB records and might have a couple of more Super Bowl rings. Elway didn't always have great talent around him but if had some of the same great talent like Montana had, he would have been the Tiger Woods of the NFL.
    I really believe that. to you Mr. Elway

Leave a comment:

• martz11
    replied
    Originally posted by Cutler'stheMan View Post
    Unitas, old school, the prototype for the modern QB, also holds the record for most consecutive games with a TD pass.
    He was great in his day but come'on...6'1 195 lbs??? He wouldn't last through a season in todays game.

Besides you have to choose qb's to be great in different era's. I don't believe comparing Montana to say Brady is fair. Or Unitas to Marino. Each era had a great qb.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
    Marino. If he had 16 games instead of 14 like Peyton/Brady have then he would still have to record for most TD passes in a season. His stats are just behind Brett Favre on career but Brett also has the most INT's ever, there is no way he can be the best. Montana and Aikman both benefitted from great teams. Rice made Montana, Aikman would have been average without his supporting cast. My list goes:

Marino
    Elway
    Tarkenton
    You do realize that Dan Marino played 16 game regular seasons don't you? Unless there's another Marino that I'm missing.

Elway is the greatest anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Leave a comment:

• flosstein
    replied
    Originally posted by AznBroncoFan View Post
    And remember how bogus it was that Elway was not in espn's top 50 athletes.
    ESPN was banned in my home for the rest of that year after that one!

Leave a comment:

• Breakaway23
    replied
    Elway did more with less than any other QB in history that is a fact. On some years he had good defenses and average offenses. Other years bad defenses and a terrible offense.

I remember years when the Broncos could not block and Elway ran for his life, and still found ways to win ball games.

It wasn't until Shanahan came in gave Elway the supporting cast he needed to prove what kind of player he is/could be.

Montana, Marino, Unitas..Manning, Brady all had better offenses over the span of their careers than Elway did, which is the reason he is the #1 guy.

Leave a comment:

• AznBroncoFan
    replied
    And remember how bogus it was that Elway was not in espn's top 50 athletes.

Leave a comment:

• emac87
    replied
    I lived in the bay area most of my life. My girlfriend (at the time) had season tickets to the 9ers games. Joe was an amazing QB. That being said, the 9ers as a whole were amazing. I've seen countless number of 9er games living there. They had perhaps the best coach in Walsh and he had the made the best assistants (Shanahan, Reid, Holmgren, etc). Montana had great personnel around him.

I'll put Joe at no. 2 for the fact that Elway had nobody around him. Reeves was a coach who heavily favored the running game. It wasn't until Wade Phillips got here that he was able to showcase Elway's true talent.

It's already been said, but if you put Elway on the 9er's teams of the 80s, he wins 5-6 SBs. And vice-versa, if you put Montana on Elway's teams, he probably would've been beat by a very good Cleveland team

Leave a comment:

• TheMastermind
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Ohhhhhh... its YOUR opinion... well that changes EVERYTHING.

GEE.. who would have thought that a Chargers fan would have an UNBIASED opinion based on how a BRONCO player is rated!!!

Unbiased: Rings don't make the man. I'm not a Miami fan, but I can see that Trent Dilfer is not a better QB than Dan Marino. I'm not a TB fan, but I know that Brad Johnson is not a better QB than Fran Tarkenton.

How about this. I'm not a Charger fan, but I know that Dan Fouts is a better QB than Doug Williams.
    give the charger's fan a break.....

he's only been introduced into the NFL in 95 and the past four years.....he's new at this stuff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X