Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foxworth A Starter Sooner Than We Think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxworth A Starter Sooner Than We Think...

I don't know if you've noticed, but technically Foxworth has been playing at the #2 CB spot in nickel and dime packages with Bly moving into his nickel position...I like this, because we'll get to see what Foxworth can offer this team as a "starter"....and ultimately replace Dre' Bly which has been unimpressive. Coach Shanahan said he liked Bly better in the slot because he has great COD and instinct....whatever Shanahan I'm not buying it...Bly is being replaced by Foxworth because Foxworth has clearly outplayed Bly.

On 104.3 The Sports Guys said "I will be surprised is Dre' Bly is a starter next year, I won't be surprised if Foxworth steals the position away from Bly this year."

We're paying big bucks to Bly so....he can get beat deep and miss his tackles. Dominique Foxworth wants the chance to start, and most likely will go somewhere else next year to do so if he doesn't get that opportunity. I think this is a sign that Bly will take a MAJOR pay cut next season or even play for a different team IMO...Foxworth is the real deal

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Possibly.. but I sure saw the GB packers target Foxworth and go after him on EVERY play of the drive.

Foxworth is without a doubt, a better tackler than Bly. Thats not saying a lot considering Bly is the worst tackler I've seen outside of Deion Sanders. The idea of keeping the defender in front and tackling him does seem to fit our scheme better at this point.

But lets not think that Foxworth doesn't get beat deep. Thats absurd. People try to blame Bly for the GB game last year.... but Champ got just as beat. I'm just not sold on Foxworth being the "real deal" at all yet. I've seen the recievers catch the ball against him every time... and he's NEVER making a play to knock the ball away, but just tackling the guy after the catch. Is that the player, or the scheme??? I don't know.

I guess we'll see. I just want to the best players on the field.... thats all I care about. Just don't know if Foxworth is reallly that guy yet. I would be thrilled if he is (but I don't really think it matters if foxworth WANTS to be the starter or not. I think they all want that).

Comment

that move is to take advantage of blys ability as a ball hawk underneath against TE, and 3 reciver sets. i would much rather have dre covering gates, witten, clark etc. or giving boss and dj help than foxworth. dre has a betetr break on the ball, but does have a tendecy to get beat in man to man, fox is good in coverage, but rav is right i would like to see him make a play on the ball rather than just the tackle. because the tackle isnt necessary if the ball is swiped down....

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
        Possibly.. but I sure saw the GB packers target Foxworth and go after him on EVERY play of the drive.

Foxworth is without a doubt, a better tackler than Bly. Thats not saying a lot considering Bly is the worst tackler I've seen outside of Deion Sanders. The idea of keeping the defender in front and tackling him does seem to fit our scheme better at this point.

But lets not think that Foxworth doesn't get beat deep. Thats absurd. People try to blame Bly for the GB game last year.... but Champ got just as beat. I'm just not sold on Foxworth being the "real deal" at all yet. I've seen the recievers catch the ball against him every time... and he's NEVER making a play to knock the ball away, but just tackling the guy after the catch. Is that the player, or the scheme??? I don't know.

I guess we'll see. I just want to the best players on the field.... thats all I care about. Just don't know if Foxworth is reallly that guy yet. I would be thrilled if he is (but I don't really think it matters if foxworth WANTS to be the starter or not. I think they all want that).
        Champ got beat because he had a legitimate excuse. All year he was battling with an injury (quadricep or hamstring..I don't remember) which led to him playing a little slower than normal.
        What's Bly's excuse?? He's too aggressive and get's beat by double moves and other things on a regular basis...like vs. GB and even the Raiders last year, Jerry Porter burned him with a double move and people shouldv'e been pointing fingers at Bly.
        I'm not saying Foxworth isn't going to allow that stuff, because he isn't an elite CB just yet. With that being said, I think he has the necessary tools to be a good if not great CB in this league, and I much rather would see Bly walk next offseason than Foxworth.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
          that move is to take advantage of blys ability as a ball hawk underneath against TE, and 3 reciver sets. i would much rather have dre covering gates, witten, clark etc. or giving boss and dj help than foxworth. dre has a betetr break on the ball, but does have a tendecy to get beat in man to man, fox is good in coverage, but rav is right i would like to see him make a play on the ball rather than just the tackle. because the tackle isnt necessary if the ball is swiped down....
          The nickel back and Boss Bailey can't be on the field at the same time i don't think. The SAM LB is substituted out for the nickel back. You have a point with your last couple of sentences, but if Bly gets beat on a consistant basis, then why not hand Foxworth the full time starting #2 CB and throw Bly in at nickel back so that the teams don't pick on Bly and his aggressive tendencies when the Broncos are in their base 4-3 package?

sigpic

Comment

Well you guys pretty much nailed it on the head. The problem with Foxworth, and this has always been his problem is that he strictly plays the man. He never looks out for the ball to try to bat it down. This is the reason he is picked on so much, because even if you are inaccurate the ball is just going to be incomplete.

Foxworth is a solid tackler and I feel he might be a pretty good press cover guy because he could interrupt some routes and take away some of the easy completions. Bly plays the ball much more, some times too much, but he goes for the bat or interception whenever there is a chance.

I do believe there is a chance Bly will be cut after this season, his contract is going up very fast and he does have to show he belongs this year, but I don't Foxworth is necessarily the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
              Champ got beat because he had a legitimate excuse. All year he was battling with an injury (quadricep or hamstring..I don't remember) which led to him playing a little slower than normal.
              Sorry. I like Champ as much as the next guy.. but he just got flat out BEAT.. period. Its not like he's never been beat deep. We saw Champ get beat Repeatedly .. REPEATEDLY.. on the long ball his first season here. All of them on prime-time games. The GB game, was a prime-time game. So please. If you are going to try and make lame excuses for Champ on this and simply throw Bly under the bus... its not working here. Thats just a poster that chooses to see only roses with his favorite guy.

I'm not saying Foxworth isn't going to allow that stuff, because he isn't an elite CB just yet. With that being said, I think he has the necessary tools to be a good if not great CB in this league, and I much rather would see Bly walk next offseason than Foxworth.
              Thats fine if you believe it. I haven't seen anything from Foxwoth YET that would suggest him to be one of the better corners in the NFL. Not ONE bit. In fact, I must not be the only one since not a single GM was willing to give up a 4th round pick for this future elite.

Comment

...can't we just fuse them together into "Blyworth," the corner who has the sure tackling skills yet also has just the right amount of aggressiveness?

Comment

The nickel back and Boss Bailey can't be on the field at the same time i don't think. The SAM LB is substituted out for the nickel back. You have a point with your last couple of sentences, but if Bly gets beat on a consistant basis, then why not hand Foxworth the full time starting #2 CB and throw Bly in at nickel back so that the teams don't pick on Bly and his aggressive tendencies when the Broncos are in their base 4-3 package?
                  actually thats just in madden. in real life football the two best linebackers stay on the field. im pretty sure boss is better than whoever starts at mlb
                  Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
                  vs.
                  Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
                  Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
                  First Round Pick TBA

Comment

Did you watch GB pick on Foxworth in that last drive of theirs?? EVERY pass (except the very first pass of their possession that went down the middle) was at foxworth. EVERY play, without exaggeration.

5-M.Prater kicks 70 yards from DEN 30 to end zone, Touchback.
                    1-10-GB 20 (1:25) 12-A.Rodgers pass deep middle to 80-D.Driver to GB 43 for 23 yards (20-M.McCree).
                    1-10-GB 43 (1:01) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 34-V.Morency to GB 46 for 3 yards (22-D.Foxworth).
                    2-7-GB 46 (:56) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 89-J.Jones to DEN 45 for 9 yards (22-D.Foxworth, 51-J.Winborn).
                    Timeout #2 by GB at 00:47.
                    1-10-DEN 45 (:47) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 34-V.Morency to DEN 36 for 9 yards (51-J.Winborn).
                    2-1-DEN 36 (:25) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 86-D.Lee to DEN 28 for 8 yards (51-J.Winborn, 33-M.Manuel).
                    Timeout #3 by GB at 00:11.
                    1-10-DEN 28 (:11) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep left to 85-G.Jennings.
                    2-10-DEN 28 (:05) 2-M.Crosby 46 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-46-J.Jansen, Holder-9-J.Ryan.
                    What good does it do to be a defender if all you are going to do is let the guy catch it? Do you think that kind of corner play concerns a QB or WR? Even if it takes them 20 passes to get into the endzone, they'll just throw it 20 times at him. They settled for a FG because there was only 5 seconds left on the clock. So in that 1:25 minute drilll that the Packers went through starting on their own 20, they were able to get into FG range (to our 28 yrd line) simply by throwing at Foxworth 5 times in a row.

I would like to see more defending and less "catch and tackle" from Foxworth before we name him our next starter.

Comment

I actually believe that Jack Williams may be our next starter next season. I think he has the size, the speed, and most certainly the tackling ability to be a starter over Foxworth.

Comment

imo

give bly some credit... other teams are going to throw his way more often than not... going into his 2nd season with the broncos i feel he will have a improved year than last year... yes he will get burned but as rav stated putting foxworth on the field teams will just pick on his side thruout the game and we'll have a tough time if fox just lets them catch the ball and tackle em... i like fox but at this point id rather have bly on the field
                        sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

FWIW, Bly was moving inside to cover the slot in nickel packages last year as well, with Paymah taking the #2 guy (and doing a pretty job of it often).
                          Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by saltybuggah View Post
                            imo

give bly some credit... other teams are going to throw his way more often than not... going into his 2nd season with the broncos i feel he will have a improved year than last year...
                            This is something I mentioned one time a while ago. WHen Champ came here, he was under a lot of pressure to absolutely make a BIG impact because of the huge trade that took place to get him. As a result, imo, Champ tried too hard and got beat like a DRUM by some of the top WRs in the NFL consistently deep. Unfortunately, most of those times happened on prime-time football games, because we had several that year. But he was trying to live up to the hype, and it made things tougher on him. After that season, things haven't been so pressured filled for him and he's settled with the team.

Bly was traded for to replace a teammate that was KILLED. Not only killed, but done so by a drive-by shooter, in the arms of another teammate. This, again, put a LOT of pressure on a new guy to the team. He's come in to take over the place of a friend of the team that was drastically taken from them. Now... that puts a guy in a position that he has to feel as though he has to justify the team trading for HIM from day one. I think Bly felt a lot of the same 'kind' of pressures that Champ fell to his first year here. So I too, think Bly has probably settled in. He no longer feels like an 'addition' to the team, but a part of the team.... and thus will have a better season. ALthough, I don't think he had a bad season last year.

Comment

In my opinion Bly is the perfect nickel back. You can take more gambles when you play inside.

Comment

Working...
                              X