Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foxworth A Starter Sooner Than We Think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    The nickel back and Boss Bailey can't be on the field at the same time i don't think. The SAM LB is substituted out for the nickel back. You have a point with your last couple of sentences, but if Bly gets beat on a consistant basis, then why not hand Foxworth the full time starting #2 CB and throw Bly in at nickel back so that the teams don't pick on Bly and his aggressive tendencies when the Broncos are in their base 4-3 package?

good cathc i forgot we pull the sam, but that enforces my reasonig for having bly cover guys like gates instead of foxworth. thats why bly is moving inside on those situations because he gives us a betetr chance to stop those key underneath guys more than foxy does. foxy can keep a guy in front of him on 3rd and long and may just get the tackle in time to stop him but as a nickle guy he gives far to much cushion and first downs are easy to come by. i don think that will be so with bly there. as long as bly tries to make a tackle....lol

Comment

If teams believed Foxworth is as good as he thinks he is, they would have gladly given up a 3rd round pick to sign him this year.

Do all the Foxworth lovers consider the possibility that the Broncos' coaches like the way Bly plays and therefore want him to be the starter? Granted, Bly was probably brought in because he was a better fit for what Jim Bates wanted to do than Foxworth was, but that doesn't mean he's no longer the better choice because they switched schemes. It doesn't matter what the scheme is, the lack of a pass rush is going to have a negative impact on the effectiveness of the secondary.

If playing cornerback was about tackling, Deion Sanders wouldn't be considered one of the best to have played the game. The goal is to prevent the reception and Bly is more likely to do that than Foxworth is. And, he's more likely to intercept the pass than Foxworth is.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
        If teams believed Foxworth is as good as he thinks he is, they would have gladly given up a 3rd round pick to sign him this year.

Do all the Foxworth lovers consider the possibility that the Broncos' coaches like the way Bly plays and therefore want him to be the starter? Granted, Bly was probably brought in because he was a better fit for what Jim Bates wanted to do than Foxworth was, but that doesn't mean he's no longer the better choice because they switched schemes. It doesn't matter what the scheme is, the lack of a pass rush is going to have a negative impact on the effectiveness of the secondary.

If playing cornerback was about tackling, Deion Sanders wouldn't be considered one of the best to have played the game. The goal is to prevent the reception and Bly is more likely to do that than Foxworth is. And, he's more likely to intercept the pass than Foxworth is.
        Good points.

Although I personally don't think Bly was brought in because of Bates.... but you are right. Corners aren't what they are because they tackle well.

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
          good cathc i forgot we pull the sam, but that enforces my reasonig for having bly cover guys like gates instead of foxworth. thats why bly is moving inside on those situations because he gives us a betetr chance to stop those key underneath guys more than foxy does. foxy can keep a guy in front of him on 3rd and long and may just get the tackle in time to stop him but as a nickle guy he gives far to much cushion and first downs are easy to come by. i don think that will be so with bly there. as long as bly tries to make a tackle....lol
          As has been pointed out before, the best two linebackers stay in on nickel packages. It has nothing to do with being the Sam. Let's not forget that Boss is the backup headset wearing guy. That's undoubtedly because he's an every down player like DJ. I guess to be more precise, it's the best two linebackers in coverage that stay in on the nickel package. When DJ was the Sam, he came out while Wilson and Gold stayed in on nickel packages.

I do agree with you about Bly. I think the coaches believe that he's the better option at the #2 spot in the base defense and the better option against the slot receiver.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

To me... I think its still apparent that Bly is the starter.

Can that change, sure. But I would be surprised.... very surprised.

Comment

As has been pointed out before, the best two linebackers stay in on nickel packages. It has nothing to do with being the Sam. Let's not forget that Boss is the backup headset wearing guy. That's undoubtedly because he's an every down player like DJ. I guess to be more precise, it's the best two linebackers in coverage that stay in on the nickel package. When DJ was the Sam, he came out while Wilson and Gold stayed in on nickel packages.

I do agree with you about Bly. I think the coaches believe that he's the better option at the #2 spot in the base defense and the better option against the slot receiver.

yeah i was thinking webster last year maybe.......anyway like we agree on bly in my opinion is the better option to cover slot guys and what not. foxy just doesnt have the ball skills to knock down balls that dre does. i would rather have an incomplete than a 5 yd catch with 2 YAC from foxy

Comment

Dre Bly kind of reminds me of a former Bronco...Darrien Gordon. A hate guys who give large cusions at the line of scrimmage but I really hate guys giving up the deep ball. I guess it's pick your poison with Bly but he does seem to make more plays than Foxworth. We won a Super Bowl or two with Gordon so I think we can do it with Bly also. We can't afford two Champs and you'll saw what BMarsh did to Dallas' best DB.
                " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Yeah but that was years ago...today tackling by CB's is becoming more and more demanded because it allows coaches to leave their player on an island and not worry about having to put a safety up top because the cornerback can't make the tackle. Champ Bailey is a prime example of what teams look for in a cornerback now. Speed, instinct, ball skills, and tackling ability...it's just becoming a norm now

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Yeah but that was years ago...today tackling by CB's is becoming more and more demanded because it allows coaches to leave their player on an island and not worry about having to put a safety up top because the cornerback can't make the tackle. Champ Bailey is a prime example of what teams look for in a cornerback now. Speed, instinct, ball skills, and tackling ability...it's just becoming a norm now
                    That might be the case, but the guy that's more likely to prevent the reception or make the interception would still be more desirable than the guy that's going to allow the first down every time.
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

There was Rod Woodson long before Champ....and one I consider to be better than Deion because he could tackle very well, and cover very well.

But turnovers are juust as important for coaches to look at when playing a corner. Stopping the pass FROM being completed is more important. It allows the defensive coordinator much more leverage if he has a corner that can keep his guy from catching the pass, than one that is a sure tackler.

Safeties have to be good sure tacklers.... corners primarily have to be good defenders of the pass. If they are good tacklers.. AND good defnders of the pass, thats a bonus. But if you have to choose a skill between those two (which I think we are doing between Bly and Foxworth), then I think you go with the better pass defender.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        There was Rod Woodson long before Champ....and one I consider to be better than Deion because he could tackle very well, and cover very well.

But turnovers are juust as important for coaches to look at when playing a corner. Stopping the pass FROM being completed is more important. It allows the defensive coordinator much more leverage if he has a corner that can keep his guy from catching the pass, than one that is a sure tackler.

Safeties have to be good sure tacklers.... corners primarily have to be good defenders of the pass. If they are good tacklers.. AND good defnders of the pass, thats a bonus. But if you have to choose a skill between those two (which I think we are doing between Bly and Foxworth), then I think you go with the better pass defender.
                        Oh I agree turnovers and incompletions are better....I actually like Bly in the slot so Foxworth can show what he COULD bring if he was a starter opposite Champ Bailey...I was just trying to make my point how I would like Foxworth to start and be the permanent #2 while Bly is the permanent nickel. Or else the opponents offense will just harrass Bly with double moves using 2 WR sets...keeping Foxworth on the sidelines...that's what I'm scared of...we saw that too much last year

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Oh I agree turnovers and incompletions are better....I actually like Bly in the slot so Foxworth can show what he COULD bring if he was a starter opposite Champ Bailey...I was just trying to make my point how I would like Foxworth to start and be the permanent #2 while Bly is the permanent nickel. Or else the opponents offense will just harrass Bly with double moves using 2 WR sets...keeping Foxworth on the sidelines...that's what I'm scared of...we saw that too much last year
                          well.. until Foxworth can actually defend a pass, I think he's going to be there more often.

Bly doesn't bite on the double moves more than Foxworth... we certainly saw how GB went after and harrassed Dominic, then felt very comfortable going deep on him. I don't see how that is, in any way, and upgrade over Dre.

Comment

If you make Foxworth the #2 CB and Bly the permanent nickelback, then you're just going to see Bly on the sideline all game long because the offense is going to be throwing at Foxworth and getting first downs all day long. You're not going to be able take advantage of Bly's ball hawking skills and the opposing offense is going to be scoring a bunch of touchdowns unless the front seven can manage to get pressure on the quarterback. Putting Foxworth in as the starter solves nothing. He allows the reception to happen without challenge. All receivers have to do is run past the first down marker and make the catch. How is that helping anything?
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I think Fox is a good back up but that's about it. I think he is smart but may not have the skills everyone thought he would have after that first year. I have not seen the GB game yet but when watching the cowgirl game they seemed like they were picking on Fox with their back ups. I would not mind if Fox beat out Bly but that is the problem. From what I have seen it doesn't look like it will happen.

Comment

Foxy is a nice solid corner. If was didnt have Bly, Foxy would be starting here. The only reason Bly starts is because of his hands of glue he is a big play waiting to happen. Along the same line, Bly gives up more plays than Foxy would, but Foxy wouldnt get as many int's.
                                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X