Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darrent Williams Should Be The Standard By Which Every Bronco CB Should Be Measured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darrent Williams Should Be The Standard By Which Every Bronco CB Should Be Measured

Darrent was 5 8" and hardly missed a tackle. He got beaten but would come right back and make a play. It annoys the hell out of me to see Drre Bly missing tackles when he and Darrent pretty measure up the same. DW was one of the best tacklers on the team when he was here so there is no excuse for these guys who are all bigger than him to be missing so many tackles.
    Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

I'm not sure that he should be the standard on the field, but he should be the standard off the field, on the sidelines, and in the locker room for sure.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aija View Post
      Darrent was 5 8" and hardly missed a tackle. He got beaten but would come right back and make a play. It annoys the hell out of me to see Drre Bly missing tackles when he and Darrent pretty measure up the same. DW was one of the best tacklers on the team when he was here so there is no excuse for these guys who are all bigger than him to be missing so many tackles.
      Darrent was great at making the tackle, but I would take Blys pass coverage over Darrets any day.

I do believe if given more time Darrent wold have made improvements which would lead him to be an elite player in the NFL.

RIP DEE

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
        Darrent was great at making the tackle, but I would take Blys pass coverage over Darrets any day.

I do believe if given more time Darrent wold have made improvements which would lead him to be an elite player in the NFL.

RIP DEE
        I agree. He wasn't to the point that I would use him as a measuring stick, but he had a lot of potential. I can assure you had it not been for his death, we would have not been in the market for another good cb for a long while. He was improving and had the tools to be one of the best in the league. He just never got the opportunity to peak.

Comment

I know I'm about to get flamed for this, but Darrent wasn't that good, at least not yet. He had tremendous potential, no argument there, but he was not "the standard" by any means.

Look, just because the guy got killed doesn't make him a saint or a martyr. The entire season before the incident, Williams got ripped on constantly for blowing coverage, and even missing tackles. No more than anyone else, true, but I'm just saying he wasn't perfect then, and I don't see why we should be asked to remember him as perfect just because he was killed.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Darrent Williams. His death was a senseless tragedy. But in this era of sensationalism and celebrity worship, It's too easy to buy into the "headline" rather than the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
            I know I'm about to get flamed for this, but Darrent wasn't that good, at least not yet. He had tremendous potential, no argument there, but he was not "the standard" by any means.

Look, just because the guy got killed doesn't make him a saint or a martyr. The entire season before the incident, Williams got ripped on constantly for blowing coverage, and even missing tackles. No more than anyone else, true, but I'm just saying he wasn't perfect then, and I don't see why we should be asked to remember him as perfect just because he was killed.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Darrent Williams. His death was a senseless tragedy. But in this era of sensationalism and celebrity worship, It's too easy to buy into the "headline" rather than the reality.
            he got burned alot, and he wasn't that tall but the guy was a playmaker at times

he had some good returns and i still vividly remember his int td return on the SNF game in 06 vs my team, it was an excellent read

but yes he did have his issues in his play, but he was definately not as bad as someone like that guy on the saints they call toast
            sigpic

Comment

He had alot of heart, rip.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic View Post
                He had alot of heart, rip.
                And that is what some of our guys lack. Darrent got burned his fair share of times. I recall a game against Cinci when he got burned a few times. But the guy had no shame. He came right back and made a play. And he was not afraid of tackling anyone: RB, TE, WR. You can't measure heart like that.
                Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

D-Will was one of my favorite players on our team, and it was a terrible tragedy when he died (RIP), but objectively (again, taking nothing away from his accomplishments and his life) its a little hard to take your first statement seriously when a certain #24 is on the field.

Now, I loved his heart, his aggressive play, his chip-on-the-shoulder attitude and I think he was a great CB to have on the team. But are you seriously going to say that Champ doesn't out-do him point-for-point in pretty much every category?
                  To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

I agree that we were not well off with Dwill. Everyone misses him now because of the tragedy and because dre just aint getting the job done. As mentioned he did have alot more heart and when burned wasn't usually burned 3-4 times in a row. Dre will play 10 yards off the reciever and get burned 4 times. Then jump a route and get burned deep. However if I recall when Dwill was the corner there was a lot of discontent with him and i remember alot of people calling for foxworth or paymah to get the nod at corner ahead of him. He did have a lot of heart and potential but quite frankly was very undersized and slow compared to alot of the recievers he covered
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Humberg View Post
                      D-Will was one of my favorite players on our team, and it was a terrible tragedy when he died (RIP), but objectively (again, taking nothing away from his accomplishments and his life) its a little hard to take your first statement seriously when a certain #24 is on the field.

Now, I loved his heart, his aggressive play, his chip-on-the-shoulder attitude and I think he was a great CB to have on the team. But are you seriously going to say that Champ doesn't out-do him point-for-point in pretty much every category?
                      I agree some people on here must not remember watching Darrent Williams play. Yeah he was a good player. But he was far from great. Yeah he made plays, but he got eaten up and burned a lot also. But why would you say Darrent should tbe the standard..... Champ is better at everything than Darrent was..... Actually I will amend that statement... Darrent was better with the ball in his hands whether it was returning a punt or a pick....
                      Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Champ Bailey is the standard by which all corners ever should be meassured. Though Dieon may have had the edge in coverage, Champ can also play the run and hit, so I'd rather have him.

D-Will could have been one of the better corners, no doubt. I mean, he was playing at an NFL level so early is his career. The potential was crazy, in that respect.

Comment

champ is champ,but what about louie wright and mark haynes?those guys were great.they shut down alot of big play wr's.
                          elway going to save the broncos again.yes!

Comment

I agree with you.
                            Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by horseplay View Post
                              champ is champ,but what about louie wright and mark haynes?those guys were great.they shut down alot of big play wr's.
                              Okay, Haynes was never close to what Champ is. I don't know how to argue this any other way (other than looking at the stats).

Wright is an interesting thought, and I appreciate this comparison. However, I think it's difficult to compare now and then for cornerbacks. The game is so different now, the passing attacks so complex and more evolved, that I think to say Champ is a "shut-down corner" in this league is a lot more impressive than (no disrespect intended) Wright's game.
                              To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Working...
                              X