Where is Lorne Sam ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emac87 View Post
    yep I've given up buying jerseys for current players, because that will be the end of their days in Denver. I have to stick with retired players. Play it safe
    Whew! I didn't want to laugh at you publicly if you really bought that jersey. I would have laughed privately instead.

Bad luck with jerseys? Two years ago I bought a home Cutler jersey and an orange alt Bailey jersey. Still looking good!
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Yeah I bought into it....in fact, I went a bought a personalized jersey with Sam and 87 on the back. Damn! I wonder if I can get my money back from the relative that duped me
      I am the relative that told you to watch out for Lorne Sam...I'm his uncle. I attended every practice except for two and were you aware that after week 1, Lorne was already told that he wasn't going to get any additional reps when he inquired what he need to do to get more PT? At that point they already new that, unfortuantely, they had made some bad offseason financial moves at the WR position.(including bringing in 3 vets, DJAX, Colbert and Parker, when they were likely only gonna keep 1) They flayt out told him that he wouldn't even get a shot at competing this year after originally telling him that he would get a shot. They apologized to him but said that they were just too deep with too much invested to give him preseason PT. They have already let Parker go and they told Lorne he would likely occupy a spot on the PS. Of course. as a player he wasn't happy with this. He finished 1st (yep even ahead of Cutler) on the team playbook test, so learning the book was certainly not an issue. And as a young kid I'm sure he would prefer to play,even if it means leaving Denver. Several teams have called but I personally hope none can make the move...I think that a year on the practice squad, while those vets burn their 1 obligatory year is a perfect situation. The last thing Shanahan told him was to stay in town and plan on putting on a few pounds as he would like to see him running with the TEs also. I don't know about that but I'm not the coach. Bottom line, his talent isn't "hype"...if the word on his senior year foot surgery hadn't gotten around just before draft day, most team had him as 2nd or 3rd round (this from 2 NFL O-Coordinators and a couple of agetns). Just bad timing on Denver's signees getting here before he did...never got the chance to compete against vets that were guaranteed cash. I will give you $10K if you can show even one play that Lorne line up at WR on the field. He is the only player on the squad that was not allowed to play a down at his position during preseason. He onlyl lined up for about 10 plays as a Special Teams player. He was flat out told that he would not be allowed to compete for a slot. The idea was not to even allow another team to see any film on him. It is still a business.

Bottom line...hold on to that imaginary jersey....you'll see more of Lorne, I just hope it''s here.
      Last edited by ELS; 08-26-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ELS View Post
        I am the relative that told you to watch out for Lorne Sam...I'm his uncle. ...

Bottom line...hold on to that imaginary jersey....you'll see more of Lorne, I just hope it''s here.
        Thanks for the post. I was hoping you would come out and give a little "other side of the story." Sorry that he didn't get more of an opportunity. I agree with you that I hope he hangs out on the PS. I'm sure he wants to play but if he perfects his route running and fundamental skills, hopefully the coaches will line him up for a competitive shot next season. Shanahan mentioned how often he watched Smith run on the PS so it may be a great place to "age" a bit. Good luck to the guy and I hope to see him in a Denver uni next season.

Comment

I am the relative that told you to watch out for Lorne Sam...I'm his uncle. I attended every practice except for two and were you aware that after week 1, Lorne was already told that he wasn't going to get any additional reps when he inquired what he need to do to get more PT? At that point they already new that, unfortuantely, they had made some bad offseason financial moves at the WR position.(including bringing in 3 vets, DJAX, Colbert and Parker, when they were likely only gonna keep 1) They flayt out told him that he wouldn't even get a shot at competing this year after originally telling him that he would get a shot. They apologized to him but said that they were just too deep with too much invested to give him preseason PT. They have already let Parker go and they told Lorne he would likely occupy a spot on the PS. Of course. as a player he wasn't happy with this. He finished 1st (yep even ahead of Cutler) on the team playbook test, so learning the book was certainly not an issue. And as a young kid I'm sure he would prefer to play,even if it means leaving Denver. Several teams have called but I personally hope none can make the move...I think that a year on the practice squad, while those vets burn their 1 obligatory year is a perfect situation. The last thing Shanahan told him was to stay in town and plan on putting on a few pounds as he would like to see him running with the TEs also. I don't know about that but I'm not the coach. Bottom line, his talent isn't "hype"...if the word on his senior year foot surgery hadn't gotten around just before draft day, most team had him as 2nd or 3rd round (this from 2 NFL O-Coordinators and a couple of agetns). Just bad timing on Denver's signees getting here before he did...never got the chance to compete against vets that were guaranteed cash. I will give you $10K if you can show even one play that Lorne line up at WR on the field. He is the only player on the squad that was not allowed to play a down at his position during preseason. He onlyl lined up for about 10 plays as a Special Teams player. He was flat out told that he would not be allowed to compete for a slot. The idea was not to even allow another team to see any film on him. It is still a business.

Man that sucks, every preseason game I watched closely waiting for him to come onto the field so I could see what he was capable of. Always wondered why we had Colbert and Russel in when both looked awful and I never once got to see sam in there.

Hopefully (from a denver fans point of view) he gets put on the practice squad and we get to see him sometime soon. If not I hope a team picks him up and he has a successful career.

Comment

Well, for what its worth, the Broncos really gave him the best shot at remaining here. To release him now when most teams are really trying to trim down versus looking at bringing anyone in gives him the best shot at clearing waivers (tomorrow). They can't name their practice squad until after the final roster is set, once he gets there any team can still take him but he must go straight to an active roster (hopefully not, I want him to stay in Denver). Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Glad to hear somebody besides family was looking for him....hopefully we'll see him soon (not too soon or that means someone got injured).

Comment

The NFL is Brutal man! This just confirms it. I help find a lot of the players homes and have heard some pretty crazy stories.

I commend you on not being bitter about the situation and remaining rational. Your post makes me want to be a Lorne Sam fan and to root for him to stay in Denver as well! Good luck to you and your nephew.

Comment

Hope he gets on the practice squad. With Denver getting younger every year, I can't see us keeping D-Jax for very long.
                sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                  What????? Josh Mallard cut??? He did a pretty good job last year when he came in...recording 4 sacks...what the hell?? I hope the Broncos are not planning on keeping DT Steven Harris...he doesn't seem like an impact player

Thank god, I did not want to see a guy that weighs 260 lbs lining up at DT again, now to get Engelberger out of there!

Comment

I will apologize if my post came across as insensitive. Only half of it was not true. The first part, where I said I bought into it was true. I was genuinely hoping that a young player such as Lorne would develop into a solid player for our team instead of signing someone else's trash (not saying DJax is trash, but I haven't seen a thing from Colbert). I did get a chance to see Lorne at TC a few times. I rarely got to see him line up at WR. Now I know why.

That is very unfortunate for your nephew. I hope he does stay here and pulls a Rod Smith and becomes a young productive WR for us.

I hope I didn't offend you or Lorne in any way. The part about the jersey was a joke and I guess it was in bad taste. My apologies to you both. Good luck

Comment

Thank you for the apologies! No offense taken. But I did think that it was a good opportunity to share with people who may not have access to the inner workings of our favorite sport. Some times, in this industry, all things are not equal and even something as simple as just the opportunity to compete for a slot may not be a true competition. All things happen for a reason and (as with Rod Smith) true talent plus determination can only be sidelined for soo long. So if he is as gifted as everyone says, he'll be just fine in the long run...it may just takeanother season to get a real shot (at least with the Broncos). "This too shall pass!!"

Comment

Well, for what its worth, the Broncos really gave him the best shot at remaining here. To release him now when most teams are really trying to trim down versus looking at bringing anyone in gives him the best shot at clearing waivers (tomorrow). They can't name their practice squad until after the final roster is set, once he gets there any team can still take him but he must go straight to an active roster (hopefully not, I want him to stay in Denver). Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Glad to hear somebody besides family was looking for him....hopefully we'll see him soon (not too soon or that means someone got injured).
                        I'm sure Lorne will get a spot on the PS, and I think he was released early for just the reason you stated. I think here is as good a spot to work on his game and try and grab a WR spot next year. Stokley is not getting any younger, DJax is on a one year deal, and Russell and Martinez do not really set a high bar.

I do not think Lorne got a legit shot, but that is not uncommon in the NFL. He will get plenty of time to impress from the PS and he will already be on the radar come TC next year or even called up this year.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                        J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                        R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Thank you for the apologies! No offense taken. But I did think that it was a good opportunity to share with people who may not have access to the inner workings of our favorite sport. Some times, in this industry, all things are not equal and even something as simple as just the opportunity to compete for a slot may not be a true competition. All things happen for a reason and (as with Rod Smith) true talent plus determination can only be sidelined for soo long. So if he is as gifted as everyone says, he'll be just fine in the long run...it may just takeanother season to get a real shot (at least with the Broncos). "This too shall pass!!"
                          At first when I read your post, I thought you sounded bitter... but as I read on, it seemed that you really understand that this may have been the best thing for him.

Tempting to delete your posts so the other teams don't see and steal him up. We want to see him AND you around here for some time to come.
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

yep I've given up buying jerseys for current players, because that will be the end of their days in Denver. I have to stick with retired players. Play it safe
                            Let's hope they don't become pediphiles or serial killers
                            Official Knowshon Rockwell Moreno Fan Club Member #10

Creator of the smiley

Comment

Working...
                            X