No announcement yet.

Powell Planning A Mid-Season Comeback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powell Planning A Mid-Season Comeback?

Okay, I need help...and who better to ask than the smart fans of Broncos Country. Reportedly DT Carlton Powell (5th round pick) ruptured his Achilles before training camp...and we all know that injury takes at least a year to heal.

Explain this to me then, the Broncos obviously have knowledge of Powell's injury, so why the heck did they put him on the PUP list, which would make Powell eligible to return after week 6 this season?

Is Powell's injury less severe than we thought? Is it a slight injury to his Achilles which can heal on its own?

I'm baffled by the move and actually curious to think what you guys think.
    Last edited by getlynched47; 08-26-2008, 01:58 PM.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

When did an Achilles turn into ACL?

The Broncos selected Powell in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft, but he injured his right Achilles tendon during the team’s offseason conditioning program in July.
    The Blog Entry
    Last edited by qnpd; 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM.
    RIP Williams / Nash

Comment

:doh::doh:

Comment

Originally posted by qnpd View Post
        When did an Achilles turn into ACL?

The Blog Entry
        Oh my mistake...meant Achilles...sorry

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
          :doh::doh:
          Instead of poking fun at a little mistake of mine, do you have something to say on the subject?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
            Instead of poking fun at a little mistake of mine, do you have something to say on the subject?
            Yeah, but I think the change in injuries kind of answers your question. So since it's NOT an ACL tear, but instead an Achilles injury, the Broncos probably saw that he could come back and contribute in 6 weeks.
            RIP Williams / Nash

Comment

Didn't Powell get moved to IR today? That makes more sense for an Achilles rupture.

Comment

Yeah, but I think the change in injuries kind of answers your question. So since it's NOT an ACL tear, but instead an Achilles injury, the Broncos probably saw that he could come back and contribute in 6 weeks.
                "Non-surgical treatment for an Achilles tendon rupture is somewhat controversial. It is clear that treatment with a cast will allow the vast majority of tendon ruptures to heal, but the incidence of re-rupture is increased in those patients treated with casting for 8 weeks when compared with those undergoing surgery. In addition, the strength of the healed tendon is significantly less in patients who elect cast treatment. For these reasons, many orthopedists feel that Achilles tendon ruptures in younger active patients should be surgically repaired"

http://www.usgyms.net/achilles.htm

Okay but I thought they said he had surgery on it....so that would extend the 8 weeks. Also Brandon Stokley ruptured his Achilles back in Indianapolis and he was out all year...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bronco1263 View Post
                  Didn't Powell get moved to IR today? That makes more sense for an Achilles rupture.
                  NO!

He was moved to the PUP list....

But here it says that Powell is expected to miss the whole year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=4900

sigpic

Comment

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=4900

Here Mr. Smart Alec....

This is what I don't understand....it says its a season ending surgery, but they moved him to the PUP, not IR

sigpic

Comment

Easy...my mistake.

If it were simply an injured, rather than torn, achilles then it seems reasonable that he might return this season. I'm guessing the roto article may have made an error or asumption.

Comment

Well, when you injure your Achilles tendon you can completely rupture it or you can partially pop it (tear) it. Although accounts of Powell's injuries are short and vague, it seems from the reports I read that Powell had an Achilles tear.

Originally posted by emedx.com
                        For active patients, surgical reattachment of the torn tendon is recommended. It involves a 3-4 inch incision behind the ankle, suturing the torn tendon ends together and then splinting for 4-6 weeks. The risks of operative care include infection, scarring, and poor wound healing. The benefits are a lower risk of rerupture and a better chance of restoring full power to the leg.
                        So even after surgery, since the injury happened in July prior to training camp, Powell should have ample time to heal up.
                        Last edited by qnpd; 08-26-2008, 02:31 PM.
                        RIP Williams / Nash

Comment

Is it that big of a deal anyways? He doesn't take up a roster spot on the PUP and can easily be moved to IR any time the team wishes. It isn't like we are being hurt having him on the PUP list.

Comment

Well, when you injusre your Achilles tendon you can completely rupture it or you can partially pop it (tear) it. Although accounts of Powell's injuries are short and vague, it seems from the reports I read that Powell had an Achilles tear.

So even after surgery, since the injury happened in July prior to training camp, Powell should have ample time to heal up.
                            Okay I understand that, but did you read the Rotoworld link I left above?

It says that Carlton Powell is most likely out for the season..

some say torn Achilles, others say injured Achilles, and some say ruptured Achilles....I'm pretty sure most of us didn't expect Powell to come back

sigpic

Comment

this was posted somewhere on these boards when Torain went down and people were saying to put him on the PUP list rather than IR him, it has to do with what is allowed and what is not allowed.

from what i recall, if a player is injured prior to reporting for team physicals than he gets placed on the PUP list, and is elegible (but not guarnteed) his salary.

If a player becomes injured after reporting to camp he cannot be placed on PUP.

Now, i think the bolded portion is the important part. IF the Broncos, in a busniess move, decide to release him, they are not held accountable for his salary for the year, whereas a player on IR is guaranteed. I would make a bet that him remaining on the PUP list is for accounting reasons - not because he is expected to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X