No announcement yet.

How do you judge a QBs "Greatness"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer the question its kinda easy...

Does they opposing team defensive skeem around them...

Take for instance,

We will put 8-9 in the box against the Chargers to "skeem" around LT and let

Rivers beat us...Which he has i'll give him credit for that. But unless your

Whole "skeem" on defense is to stop the pass or just the QB in the Vince

Young case... Greatness is not measured in stats or Win-Loss...Everyone

Loses, Everyone has a bad year, or a sub-par year anyways...

Greatness is ten guys in a huddle with 1:00 on the clock starting at

your own 20 needing a TD...The 11th man steps into the huddle

looks at the other 10 and smiles, they do to becouse they know they are

in the myth's of greatness... They have a calming affect becouse every-

one in the stadium knows here we go again...Greatness is an act perfomed

over,and,over again becoming almost constant...CONSISTANCY!!!!
    sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

Originally posted by sage View Post
      Forgot to add to my 'not great' list. Montana and Young. Both good QBs but are over rated system-guys.

I don't believe the 49ers were a quality team in the years before montana got there.

he got there in 79 and the niners were garbage. two years later he won a super bowl how is that the system?

the 81 nfc championship he didn't drive the niners towards a winning td? how is that the system.
      the hall of fame team he had didn't start to get asembled till after 83 with rice,craig,rathman,taylor and brent jones.

where was KC before montana even got there? he took that team to the afc championship against the bills. were they expected to go that far? i don't think so. He made the system that the system didn't make him.

steve young is a system qb? on the contrary he was the anti-system.
      why did you think bill walsh had a problem with young? he didn't listen to him. young never did what he supposed to do. the run against minnesota should solve that question when he won the game witha 40 something yard run tripping and falling all over himself.

it easy to knock these guys cause of the talent around them but everybody has to be evaluated on thier whole history not just thier super bowl years.
      Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Same catagory as Bledso and Brady or Romo. Great because of the system not the individual.
        Montana the Chief?
        Brady is no where near any of these guys. wow what is this great system that the pats had before Moss,welker and stallworth got there?

montana has the hall of famers he's a product of the system.
        brady had no hall famers on offense for his three super wins but he's a product of the system.

The west caost offense was bill walsh's baby but it was montana who carried it out to a tee but it wasn't the system that nicknamed montana joe cool. other than elway i wouldn't want anybody else with ball with less than two minutes.

I guess every hall of fame qb is system qb. Again discredit people for playing with good players.

elway had no hall of famers with him in the 80's and made it to 3 super bowls and that makes him great but it took terrell,smith, eddie mac,sharpe, a great line and a similar version of the west coast offense that montana ran to win the super bowl, twice. was it the sytem?

Comment

Same catagory as Bledso and Brady or Romo. Great because of the system not the individual.
          Montana the Chief?
          Montana the Chief took them to the AFC Championship game, the first time that had happened since the early 70's, and outplayed Elway on a now famous Monday Night game, throwing the game winning TD with less than a minute left to a non-descript WR named Willie Davis. He was better than Elway that night when he was supposed to be on the 'downside' of his career.

Really, you should check yourself. You sound ridiculous.

Go back and see how many Hall of Famers Montana had around him for the first two 49er Super Bowls...Jerry Rice was not there, Roger Craig was not there, John Taylor was not there, Brent Jones was not there...

He won with NFL castoffs from other teams Freddie Solomon (Dolphins), Russ Francis (came out of retirement from the Patriots) and Wendell Tyler (Rams). Dwight Clark was just a good, but not great player...

You should really know what you are talking about before you make yourself a laughing stock.

I am a Broncos fan and an Elway fan too....but John never had the surgeon-like precision passing that Montana or Steve Young had in their best years.

Go back and watch the SB between the Broncos and 49ers, and you get to see Elway in what was then his prime/7th NFL season, and you can see just how superior Montana was in throwing with touch and accuracy, never Elway's strong suits.

Montana is one of two QB's with four SB Rings. He and Steve Young hold virtually all the meaningful SB passing records. They are 5-0 between them. They are No. 1 and 2 in all time NFL passer rating...

How come Steve Bono and Jeff Garcia, etc were not as great if it was 'just the system'?

Absurd.

...and I don't ever remember Montana getting outplayed by a scrub like Doug Williams in a SB in which his team was favored, but Elway did. In two of the first three SB's Elway played in, he was terrible, and was outplayed by Phil Simms, Williams and Montana.

Montana on the other hand, never even threw a pick in the SB's in which he played, and outplayed Hall of Famer's Dan Marino and John Elway.

Case closed.
          Last edited by MindField; 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Forgot to add to my 'not great' list. Montana and Young. Both good QBs but are over rated system-guys.

this is a cop out statement. any qb that does well is a system qb. to me that is was your saying.

Comment

this is a cop out statement. any qb that does well is a system qb. to me that is was your saying.

Comment

you have to add everything up to argue if a QB is great or not. personal stats, winning, leadership, clutch QB play.

that said, for a QB to be great he needs to dominate at his position or at least dominant at clutch times while being good on a consistant basis.

at least that is the way i judge QB's, obviously it is highly debatable.
                sigpic

Comment

by the way, an example of a great QB is elway....the only active QB's that i feel are great are peyton manning, favre, and tom brady.

everyone els is in a completely lesser category.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X