Scouts Inc. high on Cutler.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouts Inc. high on Cutler.

After diving into preseason game film over the last few days, one of the most impressive players I've seen is Broncos QB Jay Cutler. You've heard it before: Don't get caught up in glorified exhibition performances, especially those at quarterback.

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
    Denver's Jay Cutler has looked impressive during preseason action.
    But I believe Cutler is poised for a monster year, despite a questionable supporting cast and even without early contributions from go-to WR Brandon Marshall (three-game suspension).
    One of the most difficult tasks in our business is evaluating and projecting the pro potential of college quarterbacks. The casual fan may see only subtle variations, but offensive systems in college are completely different from those in the NFL.

It's very difficult to implement a detailed system in college, where the amount of time a coach can spend with a player is restricted. In any given week, an NFL offensive game plan contains volumes of information and diagrams that can expand into subsets of more info.

On a single play, a quarterback is asked to process and repeat in the huddle 10-25 words of verbiage. Maybe more, depending on the play selection. And don't forget protection schemes, which a quarterback also must know and understand. There are reasons it takes so much time for quarterbacks to develop in the pros.

With a big-time arm and the ability to attack all levels of a defense, Cutler's physical tools are exactly what NFL coaches want in a quarterback. He processes quickly at the line of scrimmage, is natural in his drops and delivers with good rhythm and timing -- a critical element in coach Mike Shanahan's attack.

Cutler shows very good poise, with the instincts and ability to both move around in the pocket and attack the edges of a defense. He has a very live arm and creates excellent spin on the ball when throwing on the move. He can find receivers off their landmarks when protection breaks down. Bottom line: The combination of Cutler's mobility and arm puts tremendous pressure on the back end of a defense.

And now, headed into his third NFL season, Cutler seems to be getting a handle on the mental aspects of his position. He's ready to take the next step, from managing games to lifting the Broncos on his shoulders and winning games himself.

Again, it's the preseason, but what I've seen on tape suggests tremendous growth. Cutler is making better, quicker reads. He's looking off coverage, avoiding telegraphing throws, recognizing and attacking the blitz. Young quarterbacks typically make strides in these areas through film work: analyzing past performances, studying similar offenses and other greats at the position, and researching coverage concepts of upcoming opponents. Cutler's offseason work habits are paying dividends.

And I spotted something else: the return of Denver's drop-back passing attack. By drafting LT Ryan Clady in the first round, Shanahan seems to be reinventing the John Elway-Gary Zimmerman formula that worked so well for him in the past. Protection issues forced the Broncos to keep Cutler on the move a lot in his first two seasons, but Shanahan's offense typically is built on five- and seven-step passing drops, deep routes and play-action. In Cutler and Clady, the Broncos finally have the players to pull it off.

Denver still has, in my opinion, some concerns on defense and at certain offensive skill positions. But for the first time since Elway retired, the one thing Broncos fans can count on is a franchise quarterback to build around. And in the NFL, it doesn't get much better than that.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for

Originally posted by GJBroncoBuff View Post
    After diving into preseason game film over the last few days, one of the most impressive players I've seen is Broncos QB Jay Cutler. You've heard it before: Don't get caught up in glorified exhibition performances, especially those at quarterback.

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
    Denver's Jay Cutler has looked impressive during preseason action.
    But I believe Cutler is poised for a monster year, despite a questionable supporting cast and even without early contributions from go-to WR Brandon Marshall (three-game suspension).
    One of the most difficult tasks in our business is evaluating and projecting the pro potential of college quarterbacks. The casual fan may see only subtle variations, but offensive systems in college are completely different from those in the NFL.

It's very difficult to implement a detailed system in college, where the amount of time a coach can spend with a player is restricted. In any given week, an NFL offensive game plan contains volumes of information and diagrams that can expand into subsets of more info.

On a single play, a quarterback is asked to process and repeat in the huddle 10-25 words of verbiage. Maybe more, depending on the play selection. And don't forget protection schemes, which a quarterback also must know and understand. There are reasons it takes so much time for quarterbacks to develop in the pros.

With a big-time arm and the ability to attack all levels of a defense, Cutler's physical tools are exactly what NFL coaches want in a quarterback. He processes quickly at the line of scrimmage, is natural in his drops and delivers with good rhythm and timing -- a critical element in coach Mike Shanahan's attack.

Cutler shows very good poise, with the instincts and ability to both move around in the pocket and attack the edges of a defense. He has a very live arm and creates excellent spin on the ball when throwing on the move. He can find receivers off their landmarks when protection breaks down. Bottom line: The combination of Cutler's mobility and arm puts tremendous pressure on the back end of a defense.

And now, headed into his third NFL season, Cutler seems to be getting a handle on the mental aspects of his position. He's ready to take the next step, from managing games to lifting the Broncos on his shoulders and winning games himself.

Again, it's the preseason, but what I've seen on tape suggests tremendous growth. Cutler is making better, quicker reads. He's looking off coverage, avoiding telegraphing throws, recognizing and attacking the blitz. Young quarterbacks typically make strides in these areas through film work: analyzing past performances, studying similar offenses and other greats at the position, and researching coverage concepts of upcoming opponents. Cutler's offseason work habits are paying dividends.

And I spotted something else: the return of Denver's drop-back passing attack. By drafting LT Ryan Clady in the first round, Shanahan seems to be reinventing the John Elway-Gary Zimmerman formula that worked so well for him in the past. Protection issues forced the Broncos to keep Cutler on the move a lot in his first two seasons, but Shanahan's offense typically is built on five- and seven-step passing drops, deep routes and play-action. In Cutler and Clady, the Broncos finally have the players to pull it off.

Denver still has, in my opinion, some concerns on defense and at certain offensive skill positions. But for the first time since Elway retired, the one thing Broncos fans can count on is a franchise quarterback to build around. And in the NFL, it doesn't get much better than that.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for
    Sweet read! I can't wait to see what he will do this year.
    Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Good article. i had a feeling about cutler when we drafted him and he ahsnt dissappointed me so far. now if we can get a running back(torain?) and one more reciever. i like Royal but not as a number two. time will tell about him though. although hes smart and a hard worker Im excited about our o for the first time since elway
      The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
      While he sits by his hearth at home.
      Quickly finds when questioned by others .
      That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Sweet!!! I am hoping he has a phenomenal year.
        He has looked very good and he has had time in the pocket.
        Lets hope this continues into the regular season and we score more points.

As John Madden once said "the team that scores the most points usually wins the game."

Bring on the raiders I am ready to watch some FOOTBALL.
        BRONCOS RULE !!

Comment

Great read!!! Thats just what I need to hear.

Go Broncos!!!!!

Comment

Shanny was a genius getting Cutler in Orange and Blue. Even I had doubts at the beginning.

But not anymore!!

Jay is our man for many years to come and I, along with the rest of you, can't wait until this season gets going.

11 days until Da Raidahs.

LET'S GO BRONCOS!!
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

he's going to sneak under the radar this year...in the two live fantasy drafts i was in, i got him way late
              Last edited by Apoc13; 08-28-2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                he's going to sneak under the radar this year...in the two live fantasy drafts i was in, i got him way late
                Me too. I got Manning in the first round, and didn't have to pick up cutler til the 6th. Now I'm trading manning for a 1st round RB and a TE

Excellent article. I've been telling all my co-workers for weeks, but they think it's pure homerism. Can't wait for the regular season!

Comment

Thing is now we have what looks a solid line we can run more play action because the running game will pick up and with Cutler's arm strength and mobility aswell as him learning more plays and learning coverage scheme of defences. He will become a top 5 quaterback this year.

Comment

Our boy Cutler will be making a lot of plays for us this season.... it should be fun to watch. he'll still make mistakes,, but it should be less than last year.

Comment

he's going to sneak under the radar this year.
                      In fantasy maybe but more people are aware of Cutler nationally than you might think.
                      KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comment

I love the comments about being able to drop back in the pocket...I mean, we know Jay can scramble pretty well, but its been awhile since we've had both a line and quarterback suited for it...and I think this will help us open up the running game a bit more as well. We've got a lot of very good young talent, and while still unproven I really do have good feelings about Royal and Torain. I can't wait for the start of the season!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                          In fantasy maybe but more people are aware of Cutler nationally than you might think.
                          i realize that the experts know...but i live in the northeast and most people here hardly have a clue who he is yet

Comment

i realize that the experts know...but i live in the northeast and most people here hardly have a clue who he is yet
                            even some of the the announcers on the cbs telecasts last year really didnt seem like they knew how good he is.

even my mom or dad said, they should've got Farve.... and i'm like "hahahhaha,,, NO. We have a Quarterback. and i proceed to point out that our issues were not at the quarterback position last year.

mom and dad are not bronco fans

Comment

Originally posted by TDavis2008 View Post
                              I love the comments about being able to drop back in the pocket...I mean, we know Jay can scramble pretty well, but its been awhile since we've had both a line and quarterback suited for it...and I think this will help us open up the running game a bit more as well. We've got a lot of very good young talent, and while still unproven I really do have good feelings about Royal and Torain. I can't wait for the start of the season!
                              I can't wait to see the rollouts come back... only much less expected now that we don't HAVE to use it. They were deadly when the opponents knew they were coming but didn't know when... now they won't even know if it's coming.
                              Thanks, Reid!
                              sigpic
                              Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X