Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Calvin Lowry Compete for a Starting Spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Calvin Lowry Compete for a Starting Spot?

Lowry, who started 11 games for Tennessee at strong safety in 2007 and wasn't an obvious liability, could prove an upgrade over either of Denver's weak starters. SS Marquand Manuel, especially, will lack good job security.

http://rotoworld.com/content/transac...aspx?sport=NFL

Lowry would be considered the hardest hitter in run support, a role vacated when veteran John Lynch abruptly left training camp in late-July.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10351595

2007 Stats

Marlon McCree - 16 Games (16 Started) - 67 Tackles - 0 Sacks - 3 Interceptions

Marquand Manuel - 16 Games (2 Started) - 18 Tackles - 1 Sack - 1 Interception

Calvin Lowry - 16 Games (11 Started) - 58 Tackles - 0 Sacks - 2 Interceptions

Those are some pretty good stats for only starting 2/3rds of the season.

I would have to agree with you
    sigpic

Comment

An immediate upgrade over Manuel, in fact, I'm hoping we sign a true cover safety(NB) so Manuel can be released(McCree, Abdullah, Lowry, CoverS). On the P-Squad we should be keeping Barrett(run) and Rodgers(cover) so there's no need for Manuel. Either one is on par with Manuel and could be called up to fill depth this year.

Comment

It was only his first year too.

From reading through the Titans message board, they all seemed very surprised he was cut. They refered to him as a big hitter, one thing we are lacking.

I am sure he could show something this year and move into a stating spot, but with Manuel having a broken thumb I welcome the experience.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
        J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
        R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by sage View Post
          An immediate upgrade over Manuel, in fact, I'm hoping we sign a true cover safety(NB) so Manuel can be released(McCree, Abdullah, Lowry, CoverS). On the P-Squad we should be keeping Barrett(run) and Rodgers(cover) so there's no need for Manuel. Either one is on par with Manuel and could be called up to fill depth this year.
          manual must have beaten up your brother or something...

Comment

I agree, if he would have played an entire season, his stats could have been 84 tackles o sacks and 3 INTs, placing him above McCree.....good pick-up on paper.
            TD

Comment

I just hope we give him a shot at returning KOs, he may not have a knack for it, but I am guessing he will be the back up PR guy.

Comment

Don't have one.

I'm only recognizing that our chance of winning a game is nulified when Manuel's on the field- he's just that bad. Granted that none of our DBs looked good in the preseason. This could have been from a D scheme to play back and prevent injuries(Foxy), but his play was horrid- scheme or not.

Comment

He was backing up Griffin. Sounds like he is inconsistent (thus his release) but can lay down the hammer. A bunch on the T-boards were calling for Fisher's head cuz of this (and the horrid receiver situation of course).

I still like McCree and Manuel. They've been here, developed chemistry, I think Lowry could be a good backup but then what do we do with Hamza?

I feel for Rogers, he was a fighter and I think played smart.
                  To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

I think we should go McCree-Abdullah as the starting safeties with Lowry and Manuel providing depth.

McCree is supposed to be a big hitter and Abdullah is a good cover guy, so I think we would have our bases covered with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
                      I just hope we give him a shot at returning KOs, he may not have a knack for it, but I am guessing he will be the back up PR guy.
                      Who? Lowry?

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                        Who? Lowry?
                        Yes, he was a PR at Penn ST. and avg'd 10.6 YPR his Jr year.

Comment

Yes, he was a PR at Penn ST. and avg'd 10.6 YPR his Jr year.
                          Has he returned in the NFL at all?

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                            Has he returned in the NFL at all?

Yes, he had 1 return for 15 yards, but fumbled it away and then missed the tackle allowing the other team to score...they lost by 6.

Comment

Yes, he had 1 return for 15 yards, but fumbled it away and then missed the tackle allowing the other team to score...they lost by 6.
                              Wow, with numbers like that he will definitely be in the hunt for it, after:

Eddie Royal
                              Andre Hall
                              Jack Williams
                              Dre Bly
                              The Waterboy
                              My Grandmother
                              To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

Working...
                              X