Keary Colbert/Darrell Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keary Colbert/Darrell Jackson

The Broncos brought in 2 new Wide Receivers this year ....Neither that has yet to prove themselves as a Bronco yet....

All TC and preseason long I have read dislikes message board pile on effect about Colbert whether because of his contract,What his spot was on the depth chart,What he didn't do with the Panthers,How he looked in TC/Preseason by fans I assume not affiliated with the team...So I'm looking at the final preseason stats and we know that stats can lie.."Yeah But" low and behold the Broncos leading receiver during the preseason..Was none other then Keary Colbert .... 8 Rec 142 yds 17.8 Yds/Rec 87 Long 1 TD

Now I know that most of them stats came in the final game but when was Colbert really needed the must this preseason ?

The Final game....

I ask myself....Why didn't Mike Shanahan call me up this preseason and tell me what his exact plans was as far as what he wanted to see from the receivers and the offense during preseason...No one is taking Marshalls spot from him and Eddie Royal has been a major positive thus far.Neither of which has anything to do with Keary Colbert...When viewing the stats it seems each player got about the same amount of looks and reps ...Go figure...

When the Broncos bring in new free agents ...I view all players equally and let how they play on the field determine my overall opinion about them....Now lets turn the page.....

I'm looking at Darrell Jackson a player that have not read very many negative things about..Maybe because of his contract maybe because at one time he was able to produce with his other team..Here I have a tale of two players..Both seemed to be view differently by others on the boards..Both new to the Broncos organization..Both I'm looking forward to seeing on the field this season..One that has was able to produce when called on during the preason...The other was injured I guess & didn't do much ....

So my question is....What makes you like Jackson more then Colbert...Is it his spot on the depth chart...Is it the fact he had less of a signing bonus ? It cant be what you seen him do in preseason....Is it what you think he can do for the team...? Is it the the pile on effect and much easier to write one line threads and posts about being disgruntled about certain players.....

This is not an attempt to make Colbert look better and Jackson look worse....Just a simple question to fans that have not been impressed with what they have seen and read about Keary Colbert so far...

I want all players on the Broncos to succeed and do well for the team...
    Last edited by LarryDean; 09-01-2008, 06:06 AM.
    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Jackson has proven to be a good receiver in the league (except for last year...when he had Alex Smith throwing at him. Well, not at him, in the same postcode would be a more appropriate description). He's had three 1,000 yard seasons and 2 more which would've been 1,000 yard seasons had he played the whole season. He's a one year rental but has a good value contract. He hasn't been around much in preseason but when he's played he's shown that he's solid and runs good routes and despite his lack of game time, the coaches will likely be comfy putting him out there as #1 come the 8th.

Colbert was brought in to compete for the #2 spot. He got paid a healthy sum of money - despite proving to be horribly inconsistent in Carolina. Yet at times he's looked lazy and hasn't put up a very good claim for the spot we signed him to compete for. And now we're paying a #5 at least $2m. Speaks for itself really.
    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
      Jackson has proven to be a good receiver in the league (except for last year...when he had Alex Smith throwing at him. Well, not at him, in the same postcode would be a more appropriate description). He's had three 1,000 yard seasons and 2 more which would've been 1,000 yard seasons had he played the whole season. He's a one year rental but has a good value contract. He hasn't been around much in preseason but when he's played he's shown that he's solid and runs good routes and despite his lack of game time, the coaches will likely be comfy putting him out there as #1 come the 8th.
      You can give the same argument for Colbert. Last year he had Delhomme, Carr, and Testaverde throwing to him, and none of those QBs(in my opinion) are any better than Alex Smith. Delhomme hasn't been very good before that either. Since Colbert will now have Cutler throwing to him whenever he's on the field, we can see if it was Colbert or the QB. I'm sure the coaches saw something they liked in Colbert if they decided to keep him.
      sigpic
      Made by Houshmazode

Comment

So basically what he did with his other team then....Because of Marshall's suspension he will get a chance at the #1 role ...It will be interesting to see who is in the #2 spot against SD..Me personally I hope its Royal over both Colbert and Jackson...

Colbert was brought in to compete for the #2 spot. He got paid a healthy sum of money - despite proving to be horribly inconsistent in Carolina. Yet at times he's looked lazy and hasn't put up a very good claim for the spot we signed him to compete for. And now we're paying a #5 at least $2m. Speaks for itself really.
        His contract is very average for an NFL player..Minus the signing bonus...I dont have it but I'm sure we can find out who makes what as far as WR go in the NFL and who gets paid what on the team overall...I think a lot of fans make way too much out of this...If anything it's Shanahans and the new gm's fault and not the player...

I'm not mad at Keary Colbert for not winning the #2 spot ...

I'm actually thrilled to see Eddie Royal well on his way as becoming a legitimate WR in the NFL...The Broncos also went after Jackson for a reason it surely was not to ride the bench...Sure the Broncos brought Colbert in to compete for the #2 spot but nothing was guaranteed to him and he was not the only one ... It could be the Broncos just wanted to greatly improve the WR depth over last years team and give Jay extra weapons ...Again ... Stats do lie at times but I dont know what else Colbert could have done this preseason for him to win the #2 spot...

:edit: I'm happy that Royal is out playing him and If Jackson can contribute then thats all as well to...
        Last edited by LarryDean; 09-01-2008, 07:22 AM.

Comment

You kind of stated it with Jackson. He doesn't have a lot of negative things. He's just kind of there.

IMHO, it's not so much that I like Jackson, it's just Colbert has been a disappointment.

He doesn't run routes very well, he isn't explosive in and out of his cuts by any means, and he has shown to have average hands.

Both Colbert and Jackson have dropped some passes, but Jackson is an easier target for the QB because he can gain even a little separation.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
            IMHO, it's not so much that I like Jackson, it's just Colbert has been a disappointment.
            You do realize that the season hasn't officially started yet, right? It's preseason. If after 16 games he has 4 catches, then you can say he was a disappointment. How many bajillion receivers have come into their own after a change of scenery; or getting the ball from a QB who can consistently hit his target; or moving from a system where the coach is enamored with the run to a pass friendly system?

Give the guy a real chance.

Comment

Everybody seems to think that Colbert is some huge disappointment and is a huge waste of money....and that's fine.

I, for one don't think that Denver gave him THAT big of contract especially when looking at the huge money that all receivers were getting this offseason.....such as Javon Walker - now there's a disappointment!

Colbert, on the other hand was supposed to come in and compete for the #2 job. Then Jackson was available so Denver of course jumped at the opportunity especially with Marshall's looming suspension.

I'd say that the fact that Colbert didn't win the #2 job isn't necessarily a negative on him, as much as its a positive for this team......

Royal is becoming a favorite target of Cutler's with exceptional timing who has pretty much everyone on this board excited as hell to see what he can do when it counts.

Marshall and Stokley will be the obvious #1 and slot guys respectively...with Royal seemingly the #2. Jackson will be the pretty much the perfect #4.... leaving Colbert with only one spot.....#5.

What is wrong with that? I say nothing, its a huge improvement the last several years!

Comment

Originally posted by tat2matt View Post
                You do realize that the season hasn't officially started yet, right? It's preseason. If after 16 games he has 4 catches, then you can say he was a disappointment. How many bajillion receivers have come into their own after a change of scenery; or getting the ball from a QB who can consistently hit his target; or moving from a system where the coach is enamored with the run to a pass friendly system?

Give the guy a real chance.

It's a stepping stone for players like those.

They don't get the opportunity in the regular season. They have to do something in preseason. It's like Shanny's comment on David Terrell, who stated he needed an opportunity in regular season, because preseason wasn't real game speed.

"How many chances do you want?"

Colbert showed nothing of impact, especially over Darrell Jackson, during training camp and preseason when both players are given an equal opportunity, IMHO.

The only other chance he's going to get, or even Darrell Jackson for that matter, is if Marshall, Royal, and Stokley get injured.

Scheffler will be lining up out in the slot before Jackson or Colbert will in the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
                  You can't really, because Colbert never had a 1,000-yard season before last year either. Delhomme's a fine quarterback, not substantially worse than Hasselbeck when Hasselbeck was throwing to Jackson.
                  He did have over 700 in a season when Delhomme was healthy and the Panthers were winning, opposite of Steve Smith. Last year, he had Carr, Testaverde, and Matt Moore throwing to him after Delhomme got hurt. So, saving judgment until we see what he can do with a guy like Cutler (who is a significantly better throwing QB than Delhomme) throwing to him might be better than assuming that he's a dud because he didn't have 4,000 stellar catches in preseason.

As excited as I am to see what Royal can do, he still has no real game NFL experience. The unfortunate reality is that he may not be as great in the regular season (happens all the time), and if that happens, it will be good for Shanahan and Cutler to have some veteran guys to throw to. No one is expecting Colbert to be Marshall, but if he gets us a few first downs every game because teams are busy covering Marshall, and/or Jackson, and/or Royal, how is that a bad thing?

Comment

He did have over 700 in a season when Delhomme was healthy and the Panthers were winning, opposite of Steve Smith. Last year, he had Carr, Testaverde, and Matt Moore throwing to him after Delhomme got hurt. So, saving judgment until we see what he can do with a guy like Cutler (who is a significantly better throwing QB than Delhomme) throwing to him might be better than assuming that he's a dud because he didn't have 4,000 stellar catches in preseason.
                    Yeah, but then he posted 25 catches for 282 yards the following year. Starting all 16 games. With the same QB throwing to him all year. Ricky Proehl and DeShaun Foster had more catches than him that year!

To me, Colbert's numbers were inflated in 2004 due to the refereeing changes that year when they emphasised no contact on the receiver outside of 5 yards from the LOS. That was the same year where Ashley brought in a grand as well. The moment those rules were "relaxed" again, Colbert's production dropped like a stone.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but then he posted 25 catches for 282 yards the following year. Starting all 16 games. With the same QB throwing to him all year. Ricky Proehl and DeShaun Foster had more catches than him that year!

To me, Colbert's numbers were inflated in 2004 due to the refereeing changes that year when they emphasised no contact on the receiver outside of 5 yards from the LOS. That was the same year where Ashley brought in a grand as well. The moment those rules were "relaxed" again, Colbert's production dropped like a stone.
                      No, his numbers were high because 2004 was the year that Steve Smith missed all but 1 game. Colbert filled in nicely. The next year, Smith had 1500 yards, so yeah, the #2 guy's numbers are going to suffer.

Comment

No, his numbers were high because 2004 was the year that Steve Smith missed all but 1 game. Colbert filled in nicely. The next year, Smith had 1500 yards, so yeah, the #2 guy's numbers are going to suffer.
                        Mushin Mohammed had 1400-odd yards for the 04 Panthers. So I don't think the change in #1 affected Colbert's numbers so much as his own inconsistency.
                        Last edited by muse; 09-01-2008, 11:06 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pipes View Post
                          Everybody seems to think that Colbert is some huge disappointment and is a huge waste of money....and that's fine.

I, for one don't think that Denver gave him THAT big of contract especially when looking at the huge money that all receivers were getting this offseason.....such as Javon Walker - now there's a disappointment!

Colbert, on the other hand was supposed to come in and compete for the #2 job. Then Jackson was available so Denver of course jumped at the opportunity especially with Marshall's looming suspension.

I'd say that the fact that Colbert didn't win the #2 job isn't necessarily a negative on him, as much as its a positive for this team......

Royal is becoming a favorite target of Cutler's with exceptional timing who has pretty much everyone on this board excited as hell to see what he can do when it counts.

Marshall and Stokley will be the obvious #1 and slot guys respectively...with Royal seemingly the #2. Jackson will be the pretty much the perfect #4.... leaving Colbert with only one spot.....#5.

What is wrong with that? I say nothing, its a huge improvement the last several years!
                          I wish I could post as good as some of guys and that includes you as well muse but honestly I can not...

All I can do is just keep posting and practicing putting my thoughts up on the screen....

Comment

Jackson will be here for this year...I doubt we re-sign him unless he has a decent year...which will be difficult with Royal and Stokley in front of him. That leaves us with picking up a FA Wide Receiver next free agency period or drafting another one...Colbert, if he shows us something this year, will be with the team next year.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by pipes View Post

Excellent, cp if I could......

Comment

Working...
                              X