Review of Last 3 Drafts-AFC West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Last 3 Drafts-AFC West

I was typing on another forum...and thought it would be interesting to compare how many starters our draft has produced as opposed to the Chargers, Raiders, and Chiefs....here I go
    Note: These are AS OF Week 1 of 2008 season

Denver Broncos

2006=Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper

2007=Marcus Thomas, Ryan Harris

2008=Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Peyton Hillis

San Diego Chargers

2006=Antonio Cromartie, Marcus McNeil

2007=Eric Weddle

2008=NOBODY

Oakland Raiders

2006=Michael Huff, Thomas Howard

2007=Jamarcus Russell, Zach Miller, Jay Richardson

2008=NOBODY

Kansas City Chiefs

2006=Tamba Hali, Bernard Pollard, Brodie Croyle, Jarrad Page

2007=Dwayne Bowe, Turk McBride, Tank Tyler

2008=Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, Brandon Flowers

Just thought that it would make for some neat comparisons. Note that on some occasions, not just because a team has so many more rookie starters (Chiefs) means they've had stellar drafts...some teams are forced to play their rookies earlier than expected because they have nothing else.

Like I said, this isn't a smack thread, just thought I'd offer some neat comparisons...Broncos Rule!!!
    Last edited by getlynched47; 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Bear in mind that their lines didnt need as much work as ours, hence why some of their rooks might not be starting....but still its looking good for the Broncs, lets hope the next 10 years with Cutler are great!

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
      I was typing on another forum...and thought it would be interesting to compare how many starters our draft has produced as opposed to the Chargers, Raiders, and Chiefs....here I go

Denver Broncos

2006=Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper, Scheffler isn't a starter, but a huge contributor to our offense.

2007=Marcus Thomas, Ryan Harris, and Moss/Crowder should start soon once Engelberger leaves

2008=Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Peyton Hillis, and possibly Ryan Torain

San Diego Chargers

2006=Antonio Cromartie, Marcus McNeil

2007=Eric Weddle

2008=NOBODY

Oakland Raiders

2006=Michael Huff, Thomas Howard

2007=Jamarcus Russell, Zach Miller

2008=NOBODY

I will update this thread in a little while with the Chiefs draft...
      You also fail to emphasize 2005....

San Diego had a GREAT draft in '05
      sigpic

Comment

Although I wouldn't equate the # of starters to how successful the draft on a one to one basis, as some teams are weak and are desperate for talent (ie. KC may fit that mode, although they did have a lot of good picks IMO)...... I would say that 2006 and 8 will be long term winners, with 07 tbd (need at least 2 starters out of that bunch to say we did okay).

Another thing to consider is how much effort went into FA / Trades vs Draft picks, but this is not a significant factor for us. For example, Cleveland may tell you that FA is worth the trip. We'll see.

Are you saying that McFadden isn't a starter officially? Even though I am still not 100% convinced about him yet, if someone offered him to us for reasonable compensation, it wouldn't bother me if he landed in our "Den", wearing our colours.

Comment

I think we have had three great drafts.....and have gotten a lot younger through them.....lets just hope our young group can gel and deliver us a great season
          Josh McD support since 2009
          Broncos fan since 1979

Comment

darren mcfadden is somebody
            I am a Moss lover

Comment

Originally posted by 35istheFuture View Post
              darren mcfadden is somebody
              But not a starter!

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
                But not a starter!
                He put Moss, Torain, Crowder and Scheffler up there? Last time I checked neither of those guys are starting?

Comment

Originally posted by rc0101 View Post
                  He put Moss, Torain, Crowder and Scheffler up there? Last time I checked neither of those guys are starting?
                  Good point, I think McFadden has a better chance of starting than most of those guys do for us...

Comment

Just to be fair, under 2008 you should put "Nobody YET" for the Chargers and Raiders, although for different reasons. When the Broncos were back in their heyday, we rarely started rookies. Talented teams like the Chargers make it more difficult for a rook to make an immediate impact.

That being said, I agree that the Broncos have done the most impactful drafting in the past three years. But because of that, we're a much younger team and might have some growing pains... but we should fare well down the road.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Yes the 3 drafts have been very successful for us and the number of starters we've gained from those drafts is a good indication on how successful it was.

Your losing quite a bit of objectivism though when you give us potential ones like Moss and Crowder though Although Crowder did start against the Colts, so I guess your off the hook.

Paul McQuistan for the Raiders has started a few.

Comment

2006 - Tamba Hali, Bernard Pollard, Brodie Croyle (more negative than positive),
                        Jeff Webb, and Jarrad Page. * Only Marcus Maxey didnt see some
                        regular season play. Hali, Pollard, and Page all have had good starts.

2007 - Dwayne Bowe, Turk McBride, Tank Tyler, Kolby Smith.
                        * Only Michael Allen and Medlock didnt see regular season play. McBride and
                        Bowe have looked pretty good and Tyler slightly promising.

2008 - Glenn Dorsey, Brandon Albert, Brandon Flowers, Jamaal Charles, Brad
                        Cottam, and Will Franklin. *All are question marks, but those few have looked
                        good from what I've seen so far... Cottam and Charles wont start but will have
                        big roles.

I know you didnt include 05 but I will.

2005 - Derrick Johnson, and Dustin Colquitt. *KC's two best players IMHO.
                        The rest of the draft sucked tho.
                        Last edited by GridironChamp; 09-04-2008, 04:11 PM.
                        Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

KC: Glenn Dorsey 08, Brandon Flowers(will be starting soon) 08, Brandon Albert 08, Dewayne Bowe 07, Bernard Pollard 06, Jarrad Page 06.

Comment

Originally posted by omahaBroncoFan View Post
                            Yes the 3 drafts have been very successful for us and the number of starters we've gained from those drafts is a good indication on how successful it was.

Your losing quite a bit of objectivism though when you give us potential ones like Moss and Crowder though Although Crowder did start against the Colts, so I guess your off the hook.

Paul McQuistan for the Raiders has started a few.
                            Alright I finished it guys...here you go...these aren't the players that HAVE started, these are the players currently starting for their respective teams

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Franklin should start over Darling...

IDK, KC's drafts since Herm Edward has gotten here have been really good...
                              thats about the only thing though.

He has found good talents in the draft... but we have freakin Croyle at QB.
                              Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Working...
                              X