Did we get 3 first rounders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did we get 3 first rounders?

Clady is clearly a first round pick. In fact, time will tell if he wasn't the best left tackle in the entire draft. That's serious stuff. And even if he isn't the best, he already looks like an elite tackle. He came with credentials and even those of us who had major RB interests were quite happy with our pick at #12. What else can you say, a top prospect left tackle! It's the old no brainer (hate using that saying but it fits). Clady was a smart pick and he looks extremely comfortable in his trade, and with him around our star QB could not be happier.

Okay now, our second round pick to me was a gamble, given where he was taken. He was possibly a bottom second rounder at best, and we definitely had other positions that were vulnerable, positions where it appeared there were plenty of players waiting to be had. I was disappointed. And my goodness, of all the Wide Receivers out there, why Royal?? Sure he's a returner too, but often these type of guys end up specializing in their early years, more likely to be prevalent in one part of the game versus two. Further....what about RB or DT or MLB, etc.??? But after seeing Royal in action, it appears that we have a first round talent, never mind a bottom two "at best" pick. If you measure the overall impact on a team as to a player's value, then in my mind this guy looks like a first rounder. He is not just a multi faceted player. He has exceptional skills at each of those facets. He can change a game in so many ways. This is what a first rounder is all about. Therefore based on what I've heard recently about him in pre-season and what I witnessed on Monday night, if the NFL threw out the draft and started over today, Royal would be a first rounder. No question in my mind. Teams would line up to pick him.

Now here's the stretch. Mr. Torain enter the premise please. Shanny, who looks and acts the part of a revitalized guru, and deserves a high degree of credit for our draft and our game 1 blow out, tells us Torain has first round ability. I haven't seen the quote but many have mentioned it. But he was picked far, far from round 1. And he wasn't on the map, at least from the experts' opinions. He was an injury risk. Okay, why should I believe Shanny on this one? Well, I wasn't big on Royal, so maybe there's more to this than an amateur like me can understand. Maybe "magic man" Mike has given us an accurate assessment. In the end, I have a strong feeling that unless Torain is a for certain injury risk player, he will be a starter sometime during this season. And if he does start, I would equate that to a high value contributor. And if he gets good results, then I would further equate that to a high round pick. Maybe not round 1, but certainly close.

To conclude, if these three fellows are all starters and quickly become high impact, high value players, then call it what you want, but I call it an amazing draft (not to mention some of the others who will be on this squad for years to come with starter talent, even though not considered high round prospects).

Three first rounders? I'm counting two, going on three.....

Umm you do realize that Torain is currently INJURED lol
    sigpic

Comment

Here are the relevant Shanny quotes about Torain, in case you're interested...

Originally posted by Mike Shanahan
      "I thought he had a chance to compete to be the starting running back," Shanahan said after Denver's practice. "He's one of the most gifted running backs I've been around for a long time. He is very similar to Terrell Davis when he came in.
      &

Originally posted by Mike Shanahan
      "We talked about him in the draft and I thought he was a first-round talent. He hasn't disappointed me yet.
      http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest?tag=ryan%20torain
      Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by CutlersKilla006 View Post
        At least it wasn't his knee that was injured =/

Comment

this is such a stupid question, we got a first rounder a second rounder and a fifth rounder n those player, you cant say just because they play good they are a first rounder, it simply doesnt work that way

to say you got somebody with first round talent may work in the case of torain and thomas because they had outside circumstances preventing them from being such

do you think every fan of a good player not drafted in the first round considers them a first rounder . . . . no

the patriots dont go gloating around how they stole a first rounder in the seventh round, thye did however find a great player in the seventh round

you just can NOT say we got more than 1 first rounder this year PERIOD, speculating back is just dumb and thats all there is too say, if you went and redrafted every year teams would of course redo things its just common sense
          sigpic
          -------

Comment

Originally posted by CutlersKilla006 View Post
            Ummmmm......I think I know that. I think he will become uninjured. And I think he will then replace Young and Hall as the go to guy.

Comment

All I can say is that Shanahan has shown to HIT it on the money this draft. If all else holds true, and Torrain really is a 'starting caliber' (don't care if he's ELITE) RB that can prove to be our #1 RB by season's end..... then we truly had an INCREDIBLE draft.

Considering Shanahan was right on the money with Clady, Royal, and Hillis.... no reason to think that his observations about Torrain weren't correct either.

Can you imagine how this team will look, with a nucleus of Cutler, Marshall, Clady, Royal, Torrain, Hillis, Harris just on the offensive side of the ball?

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                this is such a stupid question, we got a first rounder a second rounder and a fifth rounder n those player, you cant say just because they play good they are a first rounder, it simply doesnt work that way

to say you got somebody with first round talent may work in the case of torain and thomas because they had outside circumstances preventing them from being such

do you think every fan of a good player not drafted in the first round considers them a first rounder . . . . no

the patriots dont go gloating around how they stole a first rounder in the seventh round, thye did however find a great player in the seventh round

you just can NOT say we got more than 1 first rounder this year PERIOD, speculating back is just dumb and thats all there is too say, if you went and redrafted every year teams would of course redo things its just common sense
                I love those wonderful response words like "stupid" and "dumb"...speaks volumes about the poster.

But to carry through.....

Clady is better than I thought he'd be, and he was a good 1st round pick to begin with. No problem so far??

Royal would be a first round pick if the draft started today. That's not reality, but to me, it's indicative of the talent we got. So maybe I'm "gloating" from your perch, but what I'm trying to portray is the true value we have acquired. It's my "dumb" thread, so if it's okay, I like to look at things a little differently from time to time.

And for sure, the Torain assessment is a stretch indeed. I said so. But there has been mention of him being the starter. And wouldn't that be fabulous! He in fact may be one of the last pieces of the puzzle. But it's a stretch I agree.

Anyway, my style may be confusing to you and many others. It's just a view about the value factor. It's not boasting or anything even close to that. You can trash it, which you have. That's what this board is all about.

Sadly, I forgot one of the not so cool aspects of this board.....you can't be too positive or someone gets annoyed.

Have a great day!

Comment

I can see where you are coming from.

I really looks like the Broncos did their homework this off-season. I don't doubt that if the draft were re-done tonight, Clady and Royal would be taken in the first round.

As far as Torain goes, even Shanny's biggest critics agree that when it comes to RB's, Shanahan's word is pretty much gold (and yes, I will conveniently forget Travis Henry ever wore a Bronco uniform).

I don't think it's dumb to say that it looks like the Broncos drafted very well this past off-season!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    Can you imagine how this team will look, with a nucleus of Cutler, Marshall, Clady, Royal, Torrain, Hillis, Harris just on the offensive side of the ball?
                    I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself (and others) here, but don't forget about the change of pace back / human lightning bolt, Anthony Aldridge. (Even though his contribution won't come until next year). Though small, he's very explosive and seems to be a great fit for the ZBS.

Currently, I'm higher on Andre Hall than I am on Selvin Young, but I think our 1-2 punch next year might just be Torain & Aldridge.

But, yes... the core of our offense looks very good right now, and also very young!
                    Winter is Coming!

Comment

I would say 2 first rounders and that is it. I don't think we can stretch to three and here is the reason.

Torain would have been picked much much earlier if not for the injury he had last year and the offseason. He slipped pretty far in the draft. Any team taking him had to know that potential injuries were an issue.

He is injured, granted different injury but that was the risk and the reason he fell. Even if he comes back middle of the year he will not be in game shape and it will take him longer to make an impact on the field. I hope it is this year but not likely. If he develops into a good starter for us I would be very happy. My main disagreement is that you don't generally draft first rounders with the hope they will overcome a major injury and be a starter. Those guys fall in the draft.

So no I don't think we got 3 first rounders but we may have three long term starters for our team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        All I can say is that Shanahan has shown to HIT it on the money this draft. If all else holds true, and Torrain really is a 'starting caliber' (don't care if he's ELITE) RB that can prove to be our #1 RB by season's end..... then we truly had an INCREDIBLE draft.

Considering Shanahan was right on the money with Clady, Royal, and Hillis.... no reason to think that his observations about Torrain weren't correct either.

Gee Rav, what's a seasoned pro like you doing looking at the positive side, when you have the right to be equally negative.

As for the outrageous concept I have offered, I may be wrong on #3, but what I saw the other night from our second pick was the likes of which you seldom see from a rookie.....could this turn out to be the reverse allegation of the Chinese gymnasts (too young to compete in the Olympics).....that being, did Royal play in the NFL before?????

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post
                          I would say 2 first rounders and that is it. I don't think we can stretch to three and here is the reason.

Torain would have been picked much much earlier if not for the injury he had last year and the offseason. He slipped pretty far in the draft. Any team taking him had to know that potential injuries were an issue.

He is injured, granted different injury but that was the risk and the reason he fell. Even if he comes back middle of the year he will not be in game shape and it will take him longer to make an impact on the field. I hope it is this year but not likely. If he develops into a good starter for us I would be very happy. My main disagreement is that you don't generally draft first rounders with the hope they will overcome a major injury and be a starter. Those guys fall in the draft.

So no I don't think we got 3 first rounders but we may have three long term starters for our team.
                          Fair assessment...

Comment

I too am extremely happy with this years draft, I think we may have found 3 (if not more) diamonds in the rough.

You know what is kind of funny.....if things work out for these guys, Shanny will go from a Drafting idiot (as portrayed on these boards), to a drafting genius....

Yea, ya gotta love fans, we sure are a fickle bunch!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              I love those wonderful response words like "stupid" and "dumb"...speaks volumes about the poster.

But to carry through.....

Clady is better than I thought he'd be, and he was a good 1st round pick to begin with. No problem so far??

Royal would be a first round pick if the draft started today. That's not reality, but to me, it's indicative of the talent we got. So maybe I'm "gloating" from your perch, but what I'm trying to portray is the true value we have acquired. It's my "dumb" thread, so if it's okay, I like to look at things a little differently from time to time.

And for sure, the Torain assessment is a stretch indeed. I said so. But there has been mention of him being the starter. And wouldn't that be fabulous! He in fact may be one of the last pieces of the puzzle. But it's a stretch I agree.

Anyway, my style may be confusing to you and many others. It's just a view about the value factor. It's not boasting or anything even close to that. You can trash it, which you have. That's what this board is all about.

Sadly, I forgot one of the not so cool aspects of this board.....you can't be too positive or someone gets annoyed.

Have a great day!
                              sorry once the season starts around here its easy for me to get annoyed, and im not saying you cant say all these players were great picks or something along those lines but to say we got 3 first rounders just plain doesnt make any sense when only 1 of them was picked in the first round

the draft is not an exact science and every year players from the top rounds will look like they should have been drafted on day 2 or not at all, and players from the bottom rounds look like first day talent.

its just silly to speculate and say we got first round talent when a player who was second round talent (royal) has a good game and possibly a great career (we will see)

but like i said, you can be as optimistic as you want within reason before people start bashing you (like the guy who compared royal to rice ) i just have a problem with you saying they could all have been first rounders, because as ive stated you can redo every draft and it would completely change the way things are drastically and thus the draft order which would then result in us not getting these players,

for example where would we be if we redid the 06 draft, likely we would be without cutler and marshall possibly doom

positivity=good
                              speculation=dumb

on a side note sorry i came off rude, as ive said i get a little annoyed with most of the threads around here at this time of year, i mena for god sakes how many merriman threads have there been in gen disc when he is not even on the Broncos
                              sigpic
                              -------

Comment

Working...
                              X