Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad but true: The Broncos need to stop Philip Rivers:

Broncos defenders hope to dam up Chargers QB Rivers

Basically, when it comes to the Broncos defense, a Rivers has thrown through it.

A Rivers has been comfortable, productive and largely undisturbed. And Philip Rivers has won all four of his starts against the Broncos heading into Sunday's game in Invesco Field at Mile High.

So, the Broncos might not always like how the Chargers quarterback carries himself on the field - and the video clip the Broncos have rolled all week of Rivers pointing at the scoreboard and shouting at Denver players are certainly proof of that - but the numbers don't lie.

Numbers like 41-3, 23-3, 35-27 and 48-20, the scores of those four Rivers starts; numbers like 4-0, those Chargers wins all added up.

"They embarrassed us. Hopefully, we will play a lot better than the last two games," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. " . . . They kicked us pretty good."

And if the Broncos were graded by the grass stains on Rivers' uniform the past two seasons, they likely wouldn't get a passing mark for getting to the passer.

Rivers has been sacked only three times in the teams' past four meetings combined.

And he also hasn't been pressured enough in between the sacks to slow him all that much.

Rivers has thrown seven touchdown passes in those four games and been harassed into only two interceptions, but none of those interceptions has come in the past three times the two teams have played.

"Pressure's big," Broncos defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban said. "Sacks or pressure? Selfishly, you could say sacks. But winning? That's pressure. To win as a defense, it's always getting pressure.

"And the key to pressure is just beating your man off the ball and just having that quarterback reset. If he has to think about somebody in his face, it could be an errant throw, which causes interceptions, it could be happy feet, which causes him to scramble, which gives us another opportunity to get him.

"There's just so much that happens from getting somebody in his face."

The Broncos are looking to force Rivers to move, even in the pocket, from where he was intended to be when the play was designed.

"So we have to work as a unit, not as individuals," Broncos defensive line coach Bill Johnson said. " . . . Seventy, maybe 80 percent of all sacks come when a quarterback comes off of his spot and resets. So the whole moral of the story is work as a unit rushing the passer, make him reset, whether it's with four rushers, five rushers, three rushers, whatever the case.

"If you rush two, then you have to do it with two. But sacks, most of the time, come when the quarterback did not go down where he was set to be in the protection. It's guys working as a unit, forming a box, a square, a fence, whatever you want to call it, around him."

The Chargers' passing attack, with Rivers running it, is also far more productive than the Raiders showed themselves to be in their Monday night loss to the Broncos. In the Chargers' opening-week loss to the Panthers, Rivers still threw three touchdown passes and averaged 8 yards an attempt.

"I'm not sure there's a tougher game than having to go to Denver against a division opponent the way they played Oakland the way they did," Rivers said.

There is also the matter of intent. Raiders coach Lane Kiffin, with quarterback JaMarcus Russell making the second regular-season start of his career, leaned hard on Oakland's running game for the most part to keep Russell out of harm's way, even in passing situations.

On third down, for example, the Raiders ran the ball eight times, five times when they were facing third-and-4 or more, three times when they were facing at least third-and-10.

On the other five third-down plays, Russell threw three incomplete passes, was sacked - by Kenny Peterson in the second quarter - and lost a fumble in the first quarter.

The Chargers figure to be far more aggressive than that in those kinds of situations.

"I know we've made a lot of improvement," Johnson said. "But I can't say I know what we are yet, so there is probably still some question there. But I know I've seen the plan, I've seen us work and I know we're improved."

"It's all about everybody making it happen," Ekuban said. "It's nice if you have three guys up in the quarterback's face, but even if you get one - and cause him to reset his feet, have to adjust - it pays great dividends."http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/11/defenders-hope-to-dam-up-rivers/

He has had very good stats against us.... Stop the run, and force Rivers to make the pass.
    Last edited by Peerless; 09-12-2008, 10:21 AM.

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

He has had very good stats against us.... Stop the run, and force Rivers to make the pass.

PR-"See Ref! B4 is cheating! He's giving away my PLAN!!! "

Ref-"It'll be okay champ...I'll hold these 'til you feel better..."

Comment

I really believe our improvement at DT this year, will significantly change the dynamic of these games with the Chargers.

Assuming our DT's can hold their ground in the middle (and, to be fair, they have yet to prove they can) then it will force LT to play laterally and gain yards up the sidelines rather than gashing us up the middle.

I think that plays into the broncos advantage, seeing as we have VERY quick and athletic OLB's in DJ and Boss.

I also think we have DRASTICALLY improved safeties then we have had in previous years. Manuel and McCree are both tough, quick and actually able to tackle (even though I have yet to see Manuel actually wrap someone up). Its been nice not seeing Hamza get plowed over, or simply whiffing on his tackles.

Nate Webster is going to be real big in this game (I bet 3 helmets in this one)...were really going to need him to get through blockers and be able to hit LT at the line. The more successful the bolts are pounding between the tackles, the more they're going to start torching us with short/medium passes over the middle.

In any case, if LT isnt able to just run around freely the entire game, and our front seven can actually hold their own, and force Rivers to pass more, our secondary could make some big plays for us.

Hopefully our offense can just drop enough points to FORCE the chargers to go to the passing game. Then, a turnover could be the knife in the back.
      Last edited by Gr3yStreet; 09-12-2008, 12:02 PM.
      sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

i don't think LT gets 100 yds in this one. honestly.

we will effectively dead the rushing game, forcing rivers to beat us through the air. and that is something that i just don't think he can do, especially if we hit him in the mouth a few times...

i think they showed good discipline throughout the first half and into the third quarter of the game. they maintained their gaps and flew to the ball. imo one of the best defensive plays was when webster and winborn stepped up and blasted fargas...

Comment

You can't pass with your face in the ground!!

Comment

LT didn't get 100 yds rushing in the 41-3 game last year

been telling you guys for two years

it's rivers who does the damage because you've got no pass rush

we'll see sunday if you've really got a pass rush again, like in 05

i'm expecting champ and mccree blitzes, at the least
            sigpic

Comment

We didn't have a pass rush in 05 either. That's the reason we lost the AFC Championship Game.
              Big Ben had all the time he wanted.
              "Brady... drops back... sees receiver wide open... and throws it away"

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post

We have a great pass rusher in the form of Elvis Dumervil...good luck in your scrub backup to McNeil blocking him

Doom will probably have three sacks on Sunday, minimum.

We also blitz now with DJ Williams and the other LB's as well...

Again, you are basing what you think will happen on Sunday on the Broncos from 2007, and we are not the same team.

Comment

Everybody talks about LT against our run defense but Rivers did plenty of damage throwing against us last season. 3 TD passes, 0 INT, 151.4 / 103.6 QB rating, 459 passing yards.
                  sigpic

Comment

I say we blitz like mad. Pressure him, force him to get flustered and make quick throws. Then let Champ run them back for six.

Of course, this always seems to be my defensive strategy. But seriously. Let's do it.

Comment

It'll be interesting to watch. If Shanny comes out throwing early and often, it could take LT right out of the game. Can't help but think that, if Cutler is able to score some pretty serious points against the Chargers, it could put an end to all of the Rivers > Culter threads.

Keep in mind though that I predicted a low scoring game last week and a 17 -13 Raiders victory so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                        Everybody talks about LT against our run defense but Rivers did plenty of damage throwing against us last season. 3 TD passes, 0 INT, 151.4 / 103.6 QB rating, 459 passing yards.
                        yeah... mean while turner was averaged 14 yds a carry that game.

and LT averaged 5.6 in the next game.

don't try to tell me a rushing attack like that don't setup the pass.

i brought up LT because, well, turner isn't there anymore.

and of course he's going to pass like that. he had to clock in and out of the pocket he was back there so long.

bottom line is this.

the broncos have improved their game on both sides of the ball. have the chargers gotten better or worse?

Comment

We should man cover their WRs and TE and blitz everyone for the first few series. Rivers cannot make accurate passes with 1 second to throw.

Comment

Originally posted by SLVR and Black View Post
                            It'll be interesting to watch. If Shanny comes out throwing early and often, it could take LT right out of the game. Can't help but think that, if Cutler is able to score some pretty serious points against the Chargers, it could put an end to all of the Rivers > Culter threads.

Keep in mind though that I predicted a low scoring game last week and a 17 -13 Raiders victory so take my opinion for what it's worth.

you hear that yeap i hear that what is that sound? sounds like..................

THUNDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GET OUTTA OUR HOUSE!

HERE WE GO BRONCOS HERE WE GO! HERE WE GO BRONCOS HERE WE GO!

HERE WE GO BRONCOS HERE WE GO! HERE WE GO BRONCOS HERE WE GO!

THE HORSES ARE HERE TO DRAG THEM BANDWAGONEERS OUT!

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post

you guys had over 200 yards rushing that game

Comment

Working...
                              X