Empty Back Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty Back Field

I have been moaning and griping about Shanny's penchant to constantly empty the back field. For one series he did it on 9 of 10 plays! I was thinking he was seeing something and setting SD up for something. As we got to the ed zone he continued to force it. I don't know why?????????

Everybody I was watching the game with knew a mistake was just waiting to happen. Cutler forced it from the 3. One the game winning drive we did it again.

I am ok with an empty back field but today was too much, IMO. I think ou backs had around 20 total carries today. What is Shanny tying to prove

im not gonna doubt shanny on his offensive playcalling or his decisions about running backs..
    sig pic removed by mod staff.
    we do not allow site advertising.

Comment

The empty back field worked much better today than in the past. However, it also contributed to Cutler's red zone pick. The D knows it will be a pass and can tee off on the O line.

This team thrives on play action and mis direction and that is pretty hard to do without a RB in the backfield.

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
        I have been moaning and griping about Shanny's penchant to constantly empty the back field. For one series he did it on 9 of 10 plays! I was thinking he was seeing something and setting SD up for something. As we got to the ed zone he continued to force it. I don't know why?????????

Everybody I was watching the game with knew a mistake was just waiting to happen. Cutler forced it from the 3. One the game winning drive we did it again.

I am ok with an empty back field but today was too much, IMO. I think ou backs had around 20 total carries today. What is Shanny tying to prove
        High risk High reward. Shanny has had a pention of being too cautious in the past and I think he knows with the defense we have he can't afford to be cautious. We have the pieces in place for a great air attack, our running game is suspect at best and our defense is one of the worst so far in the NFL. I applaud Shanny for being ultra aggresive. Sure mistakes will happen along with turnovers but I like our chances much more with being aggressive rather than depending on a defense that couldn't stop a High School football team much less a NFL team.
        Proud Member of the Legion of Doom Beadlemania Team Tebow

Comment

Shannys game plans

I think that with mike shannahan you can never expect the same gameplan every week. I think that he must have decided that for the game we would mainly focus on passing because the run would be stopped. Although we did have some good running plays we did, for the most part just explode on the sd defence

Comment

What is Shanny tying to prove
            He's a crazy play calling head coach. And I am glad Denver has him.

Comment

WOW, you thought it was too much as we simply obliterated an Elite team. That would explain why your not an NFL coach. Why stop whats working. it was one mistake for Cutler.

Comment

Exactly. Cutler only had 3 mistakes this evening. The two balls that slipped out, and the INT. But that's not enough to hinder his performance overall. Cutler has been amazing, and if Shanny wants him to throw it all day long, then it's fine by me. It's won us two games, hasn't it?
                Very happy to have Tebow in orange and blue!!!

Team Tebow #16

Comment

I think its not him emptying the back field its more he's got more confidence in Cutler now and what he sees in Royal is also adding to the confidence. But your right he threw when he should have ran on a few plays and I was questioning why there was no 'out' on that 3rd and 3 near the goal that ended up as a pic. I saw the play again and Cuter tried to thread the needled to royal instead there was 3 bolts defenders there.

Still i think Shanny knows he still lacks a RB that can make a play at that position. So when Shanny gets that RB to replace what we have we wont see that play for a while. Besides this was a team we HAD TO WIN against so of course Shanny pulled out all the stops.
                  McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

after the game, cutler said in the interview that the chargers were playing predictably and that he kinda knew what they were doing...

perhaps because it was going so well and they were so predictable, shanny played to our strength??

perhaps this is also the first time our young O line has seen a good 3-4 team...

maybe its easier to learn if you are constantly dropping back and pass blocking, while learning to read blocking assignments?

giving jay more time from the shotgun gave our O line more time to read and react...

maybe he is going mad...

who knows...

im just glad we have shanny as our head coach...

sigpic

Comment

Let's not confuse a poor decision by our young QB for a mistake in the scheme our game plan itself. Cutler didn't have to throw that ball where he did. He tried to force something that wasn't there and paid the penalty and nearly lost the game.

To his credit, he shrugged it off and went back out to win the game.

Now, if he just learns from his mistakes, he will be a better QB for it.
                      You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

On two drives we emptied the back field on all but one play. Shanny either saw something and was setting them up, was arrogant and waiting for the Dolts to stop it and keep our backs fresh.

I am fine with the empty sets but time after time on multiple drives could bring big trouble. All I am trying to say is it looks to be a shift in philosophy from run 1st and misdirection to just cram it down their throats!

Comment

not going to lie, i want to see them stay true to the 2 tightend formation, 2 receivers out wide, and a full back and half back in the backfield. But what ever gets the win, im happy with

Comment

The empty back field worked much better today than in the past. However, it also contributed to Cutler's red zone pick. The D knows it will be a pass and can tee off on the O line.

This team thrives on play action and mis direction and that is pretty hard to do without a RB in the backfield.
                            Maybe we are heading in a new direction. Maybe we used to thrive off of play action because of the QB level we had. I think Mike has a lot of confidence in Jay and our new O line. I think we are just using the weapons we have to best of our ability. I also think things will start evening out and we will see a more even number of runs and passes.

I do love the way we started and I cannot wait to see the next game.
                            BRONCOS RULE !!

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerEra06 View Post
                              not going to lie, i want to see them stay true to the 2 tightend formation, 2 receivers out wide, and a full back and half back in the backfield. But what ever gets the win, im happy with
                              That would be too many men on the field then. 2te, 2 wr, 1hb + 1fb = 12 men on the field...

but yeah I'd like shanny to mix up the playcalling a bit more. becoming one dimensional is never good for a team especially come the playoffs.
                              Last edited by WoodyInvincible; 09-14-2008, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X