The start of a great QB rivalry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The start of a great QB rivalry?

Both Rivers and Cutler tore it up today and are now ranked #1 and #2 of all QBs in the league(we'll see what happens with Romo and McNabb tomorrow). Even though Cutler played great I would give Rivers the edge today since he didn't commit as many mistakes. In fact, that interception that was tacked onto Rivers' stats wasn't even a real interception but rather a bad call by the refs since it was a completed pass that was down by contact and then Chambers had the ball stripped for him. Well we all know what happened after that with the camera equipment not working, but that's in the past now. Anyways, I see the start of a great QB rivalry like the one between Brady and Manning. Rivers and Cutler will be at each other's throats at least twice a year for the next decade or so.

Yeah it could be.... Would be nice if Rivers whined a little less.. but you pick your battles.

Comment

please don't refer to rivers as a great quarterback. it offends me as a football fan

Comment

Ok you might as well take away 66 Yards and a TD from Rivers because he did nothing to help Sporles score on that pass. He was pressured and dumped it and the little dude did it all. At least Cutler had to move down the field shredding the Bolts's D. But yea I agree this will be a nice rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by IDI I3R0NC0 IBI View Post
          Ok you might as well take away 66 Yards and a TD from Rivers because he did nothing to help Sporles score on that pass. He was pressured and dumped it and the little dude did it all. At least Cutler had to move down the field shredding the Bolts's D. But yea I agree this will be a nice rivalry.

It's true that Rivers didn't do much work on that play but I've seen Cutler get those kinds of plays as well, like last year when he passed short to Javon Walker and he ran it like 80 yards for a touchdown. At least I think it was Walker. You'll probably remember better than me since you're a Broncos fan.

Comment

I think it was a start of a QB rivalry last year when Rivers trash talked Cutler last year..

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
              please don't refer to rivers as a great quarterback. it offends me as a football fan

Take your homer glasses off next time you watch Rivers because anyone can see that he's a great quarterback. I'm not saying that he's anywhere near Brady or Manning yet, but he's definitely great for a 25 year old quarterback and he's getting better every year.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahKay14 View Post
                I think it was a start of a QB rivalry last year when Rivers trash talked Cutler last year..

That game provided the motivation but this game is the one where the rivalry started since Cutler didn't do much in the last 3 games we've played you guys. He stepped up today though.

Comment

I was not impressed with Rivers prior to this year. I thought he was the weak link for the Chargers. I don't think that any more. He played great against us and against the Panthers.

It also didn't look like he was playing above his ability. Sadly, he will likely be a good QB for a lot of years.

I still think Cutler is better.

Comment

Originally posted by LightningBolt View Post
                    That game provided the motivation but this game is the one where the rivalry started since Cutler didn't do much in the last 3 games we've played you guys. He stepped up today though.
                    Good point. Good game today.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                      Yeah it could be.... Would be nice if Rivers whined a little less.. but you pick your battles.

Actually, today it was Cutler that was whining. The camera cut to him after Rivers completed a 3rd down pass during the game and Cutler looked like a whiner. I can see why though. He didn't want to be in a shootout.

Comment

Both Rivers and Cutler tore it up today and are now ranked #1 and #2 of all QBs in the league(we'll see what happens with Romo and McNabb tomorrow). Even though Cutler played great I would give Rivers the edge today since he didn't commit as many mistakes. In fact, that interception that was tacked onto Rivers' stats wasn't even a real interception but rather a bad call by the refs since it was a completed pass that was down by contact and then Chambers had the ball stripped for him. Well we all know what happened after that with the camera equipment not working, but that's in the past now. Anyways, I see the start of a great QB rivalry like the one between Brady and Manning. Rivers and Cutler will be at each other's throats at least twice a year for the next decade or so.
                        I was thinking the same thing earlier tonight when NFL.com updated it stats and Cutler and Rivers have almost identical stats. Personally i would love for this to happen, As much as i hate to say it River's has a lot of talent. He seems like he's matured a lot in the off season and i do believe Him and Cutler will be wrecking havoc upon the NFL for years to come.

But make no mistake my friend, Cutler is the better QB

Comment

Originally posted by MJCOSTEL View Post
                          I was not impressed with Rivers prior to this year. I thought he was the weak link for the Chargers. I don't think that any more. He played great against us and against the Panthers.

It also didn't look like he was playing above his ability. Sadly, he will likely be a good QB for a lot of years.

I still think Cutler is better.

I think Norv Turner has helped him develop as a QB in the two years he's been here. He's known as a QB guru. I would rank Rivers higher than Cutler right now based on his ability to read the field and his judgement. Cutler has better athletic ability but Rivers protects the ball better as was evidenced today. If a guy wasn't open, Rivers would throw it away whereas Cutler would try to force it, leading to an interception.

Comment

It's true that Rivers didn't do much work on that play but I've seen Cutler get those kinds of plays as well, like last year when he passed short to Javon Walker and he ran it like 80 yards for a touchdown. At least I think it was Walker. You'll probably remember better than me since you're a Broncos fan.
                            K.. I'll explain....

1. Walker had like 250 yards total because he was injured and never had anything near 80 yards.

2. You might be thinking of our preseason game against the Cardinals where he lasered it to Javon for a score.

3. You might be thinking of Jake Plummer on a reverse run to Walker against the Steelers who ran it in.

What you claim is either one of these or it never happened.

Rivers is ok in my book but is not no Jay Cutler and won't be as far as I can see it. However, if you call him a Chad Pennington type player who has a good arm then I might believe you. I would never want my team down with Rivers leading a game winning drive. He is a just a Qb who looks good because of a surrounding cast and thrives on utilizing them. It shows he is a smart player. He is just like David Garrad and Derek Anderson he needs superstars on his team to succeed. If he was in a situation where he was the veteran among young players he would be average.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahKay14 View Post
                              Good point. Good game today.

Thanks. Too bad the refs decided the outcome though. Hopefully the next time we play, the refs will stay out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X