Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hochuli Article - wow

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...atus/?chargers

No one, it appears, is taking the mistake and its ramifications harder than Hochuli.

"He's devastated," said Mike Pereira, the NFL's supervisor of officials. "... I was talking to Ed within 10 minutes after the game was over, and he was sick. He's still sick (yesterday).

"Everybody works so hard and wants to be perfect in a game you're not likely to ever be perfect. I've talked to him three times. He's really struggling with the fact he made such a bad call."

Most remarkably, posts on various Internet forums indicated Hochuli replied to hundreds of e-mails from fans Monday. In those e-mails, he apologized for his mistake.

One such e-mail, purportedly from Hochuli, was posted on a SignOnSanDiego forum.

It read:

I'm getting hundreds of emails – hate mail – but I'm responding to it all. People deserve a response.

You can rest assured that nothing anyone can say can make me feel worse than I already feel about my mistake on the fumble play. You have no idea ...

Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling. Officials strive for perfection – I failed miserably. Although it does no good to say it, I am very, very sorry.

Ed Hochuli

A similar message from Hochuli, with a personalized response to the sender's specific questions, was forwarded to the Union-Tribune. However, responding to a request by the Union-Tribune, Hochuli replied from the same e-mail address, which matched his law firm e-mail address: "I'm sorry ... I can not speak to the press, so I can't respond to this."

Game officials in the NFL are not full-time employees, and almost all of them have regular jobs. Hochuli is a founding partner of a large Phoenix law firm. He specializes in legal malpractice and professional liability.

Hochuli, 57, is in his 17th season as a referee and 19th as an official in the NFL. He is best known for his muscular physique. That, along with his sometimes whimsical on-field explanations of calls, have inspired a sort of cult following.

Along with San Diego resident Mike Carey, Hochuli was rated in a recent ESPN poll of NFL head coaches as the best referee in the league. He has worked two Super Bowls.

"Over the length of his career, he's been a great referee," Pereira said. "I hate to think he'll be defined by this call."
    This is a stand up guy who made a mistake. Way to man up

Originally posted by Unoriginal View Post
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...atus/?chargers

This is a stand up guy who made a mistake. Way to man up

This isn't right he is human. Its getting way out of hand he did what he could to correct the call we had 2 shots to score and the 2 point was unexpected. He is human and he is getting hate mail. This game was not that important where he should be getting these types of e-mails. It just shows how crappy and scared the Chargers fans really are. You all should go and kill yourself who ever wrote crap to him.

Comment

wow screw all you charger fans. yeah ed made a mistake everyone does get over it and stop giving him crap.
      RIP Sean Taylor,Darrent Williams, Damien Nash, and Marquis Hill.Our hearts are with you.

go Selvin Young.

screw da dolts!!!

Comment

For REAL!!!

He made a mistake in the BANG! BANG! speed of the game.... it' s not like the OU/Oregon game where they could look at replay and stuff.... the rules screw the ref in this case...

Death Threats? Over a game?! There's a warm spot in hell for people like that... and as far as I'm concerned, they can't get there fast enough!

It's a damn shame where people's priorities are.... some people's children!
        Thank You theMileHighGuy!!!
        sigpic

Comment

Yea I feel for he guy, he is a great ref who bad a mistake. The luck ran for us on Sunday and now he is getting hate mail over it. sad
          If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. --General George S. Patton

Comment

well... he made the call "incomplete pass", after a review it was a fumble, but when the whistle was blown, Chargers did NOT have posession of the ball, hence after the review, denver had 3rd down at sandiego 10 yd line.

Comment

Totally amazing how SD fans are just not up to forgiving human error. These people must be really bitter. While I can feel their pain it is just a game with more coming. I am surprised that the Chargers organization them selves don't step in and ask their fans to relax.
              Wanna play a game?? Check it out at milehighhitman7.webs.com

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighHitMan7 View Post
                Totally amazing how SD fans are just not up to forgiving human error. These people must be really bitter. While I can feel their pain it is just a game with more coming. I am surprised that the Chargers organization them selves don't step in and ask their fans to relax.

Cause that would be the right thing to do.
                sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

What makes me laugh is the Chargers fan's thinking they played such a flawless game and that their was no calls in their favor, missed or otherwise.

We all know, had that play went perfect by the officals, we would have lost. OK, but on the other side their are ALWAYS calls you can go back on and say, if he would have only called that we would have stopped them there.

If they would just understand its not that much different and Denver won by putting the ball in the endzone, we could all move on. The ref wouldnt have to act like he ruined anyones life.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

? does anyone remember the name of the ref who blew the wistle last year when we played the Bears and it ended in the Bears favor when it was clearly a fumble..........?

Nuff said.

Hochuli is a good ref and we all know it. He made a mistake...ooops cant change it now. What matters is they stick to the rules and they did! He has appologized and I am sure he will not do it again, or try his damndest..

Comment

Ed has always been a great ref...I mean people act like this is the first time a ref has blown a call before...I mean it happens all the time..Last year we had a play like that happen to us with the bears..This year the ball bounced are way..He admitted he screwed up but the rules said that once a play has been whistled dead there is notging he could do...I mean he did move us back to the 10 and we lost the down...Point blank the chargers had 3 oppurtunity to stop us from winning the game but they didn't and we won..They should have rised up and stopped us but they didn't point blank...

PLus how many times does it happen here a team is behind by 4 points in the 4th with 1:20 left and it is fourth and 8 on the 25 yard line and the db pass interferes the reciever and the ref doesn't catch him doing it and then it is game over......That is just one example there are many others like that....

What are we suppoesed to do have every play reviewable just to make sure the refs get it right....Hell the game would last forever if every play was scrutinzed for every little detail....
                      sigpic

GO BRONCOS IN 2008

Comment

this is bull****, the exact same call was made during the Eagles-Cowboys game(Jackson threw the ball backwards, obviously a fumble but it was ruled a TD) and yet nobody cares about that but everybody is going crazy over this one? sickening.

Comment

Well hey, at least Ed knows he is welcome in Denver, even if the rest of country is angry at him.

Stay classless San Diego! Keep send HATE mate to a GAME official! Great plan.
                          sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Geandily View Post
                            this is bull****, the exact same call was made during the Eagles-Cowboys game(Jackson threw the ball backwards, obviously a fumble but it was ruled a TD) and yet nobody cares about that but everybody is going crazy over this one? sickening.
                            Hate to break this to ya but that WAS NOT ruled a touchdown. They placed the ball at the 1 yd line and the Eagles scored on the next play.

Nice article though. Ed is da man.
                            :logo:
                            :logo: :logo:

Air Force Falcons (0-0)(0-0)
                            Moon Twp Tigers (0-0)(0-0)
                            Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
                            Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRbn...layer_embedded

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoKing View Post
                              Hate to break this to ya but that WAS NOT ruled a touchdown. They placed the ball at the 1 yd line and the Eagles scored on the next play.

Nice article though. Ed is da man.
                              That play was hilarious! He seems to have a habit of doing that. I wish Ed well though, he's a sensible guy that will at least give an explanation for weird calls.
                              sigpic
                              Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Working...
                              X