Hochuli Article - wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
    he blew the whistle cause the qb was involved so the nfl should take account for that ...they are the ones who wanna keep the qbs from not being touched comeon people its football not baseball..contact is part of the sport
    But its the owners that run the NFL.. and the owners are the ones that are paying the QBs teh MEGA millions... thus you can see why they would want to keep the QBs healthy and not taking shots from some DL that sees an "open oportunity" to take a shot at him simply because the whistle isn't blown in "case."

Comment

• My Take on Ed Hoculli

Look, If you havent heard already, Ed Hocculi is being penalized by the NFL for what happened in the game on sunday.

Let us remember what he did exactly...

He blew the whistle.

That is where the league finds fault. How on earth can you penalize a guy for blowing a play dead from what he saw as the play being over. His angle was behind Cutler and he assumed the ball was in Cutler's control while he moved his arm. Bad assumption but he was supposed to make a real time decision and from his angle thats what it looked like.

Than, following the RULEBOOK OF THE NFL, he cannot overturn his judgement cal and thus the NFL is now penalizing him for..........

Following their rules?

And don't kid yourself, if this game is a blowout, or if the Broncos didnt end up winning, this would be a non issue and Hocculi wouldnt have to answer for this.

What a shame.

Ed is basically the man, the only ref who looks like he could suit up and play linebacker.
      A book I wrote

Comment

• My take on Ed Hoculli is that every Bronco fan on the planet needs to put him and his family on their Xmas card list..... He gave us a gift. You are right all he did was blow his whistle.... But that was a horrible call that you could see plain as day at full speed.... You are right he was behind the play. So since he couldnt see it he should have kept the whistle in his pocket, and let someone that has a better angle make the call.... This is why we have instant replay.....He blew the call and should be punished
        Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by japfaff View Post
          My take on Ed Hoculli is that every Bronco fan on the planet needs to put him and his family on their Xmas card list..... He gave us a gift. You are right all he did was blow his whistle.... But that was a horrible call that you could see plain as day at full speed.... You are right he was behind the play. So since he couldnt see it he should have kept the whistle in his pocket, and let someone that has a better angle make the call.... This is why we have instant replay.....He blew the call and should be punished
          Thats not a fair assessment at ALLL. His JOB is to call what he sees.. period. Not GUESS. He thought he saw an incomplete pass, his JOB says for him to BLOW the whistle on the incomplete pass..... PERIOD. To say he "shouldn't have blown the whistle" is basing everything off what they saw on instant replay, then even in fast motion...LOOKING at what they EXPECT to see. But when it first happened, and the whistle was blowing.. you didn't know and Ed thought he did.

PLUS>.. Ed didn't GIVE us CRAP. If the Chargers want to say they should have won off a lucky fumble...and needed the "luck" to win.... FINE with them. The fact is... they didn't stop anything for 39 points put on the board. They didn't stop 500 yrds of offense. They didn't stop the last 2 minute drill the we took down the field in less than a minute. They didn't sto squat. So if you can have THAT kind offense put up agianst you, and have 39 points on the board against you.... its not ONE play that beat your team.

I don't regret of feel lucky at all. its football. it happens every week
          Last edited by Ravage!!!; 09-16-2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
            Thats not a fair assessment at ALLL. His JOB is to call what he sees.. period. Not GUESS. He thought he saw an incomplete pass, his JOB says for him to BLOW the whistle on the incomplete pass..... PERIOD. To say he "shouldn't have blown the whistle" is basing everything off what they saw on instant replay, then even in fast motion...LOOKING at what they EXPECT to see. But when it first happened, and the whistle was blowing.. you didn't know and Ed thought he did.
            But from where he was on the field he couldnt see what happened. He said that he THOUGHT that it was incomplete..... He should have let it play out. He blew that call.... What would you say if it was the other way around and it was Rivers that got the do over? I am betting you would want Ed head on a platter.
            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

But from where he was on the field he couldnt see what happened. He said that he THOUGHT that it was incomplete..... He should have let it play out. He blew that call.... What would you say if it was the other way around and it was Rivers that got the do over? I am betting you would want Ed head on a platter.
              You would be wrong. I have NEVER blamed a ref for our loss. I know that ONE play, didn't beat us if it did. It would have been allt he OTHER points that led up to that play, tht was JUST as responsible than simply TRYING or Expecting to rely on a LUCKY drop of the ball.

But as far as ED goes... If you look at his angle, you can see where he THOUGHT it was an incomplete pass. If you see and THINK its an incomplete pass... then your job is to BLOW the whistle and make the call n WHAT you think you saw.. just like EVERY foul/penalty on the field. You can't ask him, or expect him, to ignore what he sees to "let it play out." Thats not what he is supposed to do.

Comment

• Because of the challenge system, the NFL has been hard pressed on focusing on the refs to let the play continue if there's a call that is controversial. It's why you see so many late penalties called in the NFL now, because refs want to make sure they made the right call.

Hocules didn't do that, and blew the whistle immediately. It was a terrible call and he should have been punished.

Comment

• Here's to you, Ed!

IMHO Ed Hochuli is one of the best refs in the NFL. Yes, he made a bad call, but everyone else had the advantage of replay, slow motion, better view. Ed was dealing with real time, bad angle, no replay, and rules that don't allow him to correct a call. Referees make bad calls, they're human--they do a thankless job because no matter what they call somebody is going to be mad at them. The Broncos have a bad calls made against them, so has every other team in the league. Ed is getting the shaft for all that is wrong with the set up--the NFL needs a scapgoat. I'm sure he probably feels worse about the mistake than anyone else and this will be with him longer than anyone will remember it. The league should adopt a change in rules right now giving the refs the right to overrule a call in that situation.

Also, SD is not totally blameless they did not have any time outs with which to challenge the call, they did not stop Denver from scoring not only once but twice, and they also got the ball back before the end of the game and had the opportunity to score. Yes, I would have been upset if Denver would have gotten those calls but that is part of the game. The idea is not to get yourself in that situation to where something like that effects the end of the game. This situation will show the true character of the Chargers, whether they are going to allow one game to dictate the rest of their season or deal with it and go on. If you will remember, it was the loss to Jacksonville that set Denver up for their championship season.

My thanks to Ed Hochuli and the other refs in the league for continuing to do a thankless job, week in and week out--with professionalism. I may disagree with you, but respect the job that you do. :salute
                  sigpicSig designed by Freyaka
                  2014 Adopt-a-Bronco - Juwan Thompson....BELIEVE, It's Mile High Magic!

Comment

• We should send Ed Hochuli to Washington,he would clean up that town he is one whistle blowing son-of-gun!
                    I really like Cheese.

Comment

My take on Ed Hoculli is that every Bronco fan on the planet needs to put him and his family on their Xmas card list..... He gave us a gift. You are right all he did was blow his whistle.... But that was a horrible call that you could see plain as day at full speed.... You are right he was behind the play. So since he couldnt see it he should have kept the whistle in his pocket, and let someone that has a better angle make the call.... This is why we have instant replay.....He blew the call and should be punished

Boo~~

The camera angle for us was right in front of Cutler, we saw it... and I wasn't even sure until they replayed it in slow-mo. As fast as Cutlers throws are, it was a split second time.. AND WE HAD THE BEST ANGLE. Ed, on the other hand, was behind and on the opposite side of his throwing arm... at that angle and at full speed, it's not outside the realm of possibility that he legitimately saw an incomplete pass.

I can see Charger fans crying and using this as an excuse, but what's with all these self-hating bronco fans? It was a tough call, tough break for the Chargers... everyone knows we didn't outright win that game. But let it go already~~
                      There goes the franchise...

Comment

• I think its terrible. Its easy for people to sit in front of their monitors and their little HDTV's and watch replays and see something clearly. Its gotta be completely different when you're on the field watching it at different angles in real time. You have to take in account human error when you use people to officiate games. Bad call? Yes. But I can see how, with Jay's arm moving forward, that maybe he thought it was a pass that slipped.

Comment

• Originally posted by BRich View Post
                          I think its terrible. Its easy for people to sit in front of their monitors and their little HDTV's and watch replays and see something clearly. Its gotta be completely different when you're on the field watching it at different angles in real time. You have to take in account human error when you use people to officiate games. Bad call? Yes. But I can see how, with Jay's arm moving forward, that maybe he thought it was a pass that slipped.
                          It is completely different. I do soccer and basketball at the high school and so I speak with experience here. Sometimes though you have to just ignore it because most of the time, the fans do not know the rules as well as they think they do.
                          :logo:
                          :logo: :logo:

Air Force Falcons (0-0)(0-0)
                          Moon Twp Tigers (0-0)(0-0)
                          Denver Broncos (0-0-0)
                          Hershey Bears (0-0-0-0)

Hersheypark's new ride:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRbn...layer_embedded

Comment

• don't blow whistle

to all you ed shouldn't have blown the whistle now what if he didn't and it was and incomplete pass and not a fumble a cutler got hurt then what you would've been saying why didn't he blow the whistle

Comment

• Bad calls happen. They are simply part of the game, unfortunate as that may be. The officiating in the game overall was not great; the Chargers got away with a LOT of dirty play and holding that was never called, for instance (the Broncos might have too, but I'm biased and only looking for it from our opponents).

Hochuli has consistently been among the NFL's best referees for quite a while. Think of the sheer number of plays he's had to call in his career. Occasionally, you're bound to make a mistake. It just sucks when the mistake happens on a crucial play like this one. Here, his mistake was further compounded by the rule--which he CORRECTLY interpreted and applied--that wouldn't let him give SD possession.

First, I give him props for admitting he screwed up after the call. Second, the Chargers should quit saying that his call "decided the game." It didn't. Your crappy defense not stopping the Broncos on 3rd and goal from the 10, and then on the 2 point conversion, decided the game. The Broncos offense straight up beat your defense two plays in a row--THAT'S what decided the game. The call only set it up by letting Denver keep possession.

Bad calls happen. I'm sure Hochuli wishes he hadn't blown the whistle, but one can understand why he did given his position on the field and the way the play looked in real time. After the whistle was blown, Hochuli handled everything correctly, according to current NFL rules. He's human; he screwed up, he admitted it, and followed the rules accordingly. He's catching way too much crap for this, IMO (and I honestly think I'd be saying the same if the roles had been reversed and the Broncos lost because of it).

Comment

Working...
                              X