Why did Shanny go for TWO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Shanny go for TWO?

In my opinion Shanny went for two because he had no confidence in the D to hold up in OT. If we didn't win the coin toss S.D. would have marched down and kicked a field goal to win. He had two 50-50 choices, the coin toss in OT, or the two point conversion at the end of the game.
    He wanted to give S.D. a chance to win after the blown calls.
    15.58%
    He had no faith in the D to stop S.D.
    48.05%
    Needed to get the game over with to get home to the wifey.
    5.19%
    It was truely a "gut feeling"
    31.17%

You forgot one option.. complete confidence in the offense.

But our defense wasn't stopping anything, and didn't want to leave the game up to a coin flip.

Also.. knowing the Chargers didn't have a time out, I think it made the decision easier. The Chargers didn't have a time out to use to make personnel changes and talk it over as to make adjustments for the 2 point conversion. They were on the field without having a chance to have that "discussion".. and Cutler already knew what they had on the field and knew the right pattern to look for.

I think if the Chargers DID have a time-out, we may have kicked.

Comment

although of course a 2 point conversion is never 50-50. probably closer to 33-67 or something. but i agree with you about the defense though, san diego was wearing our defense out and had all the momentum. even with only 24 seconds left they still managed to cover a good portion of the field while we just scored our first points of the half.
      disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

i say option 5 STICK IT TO THE MAN HAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

The defense would not have been able to stop the Chargers. Classic game of whoever had the ball last was going to win the game. I know some of you were concerned even with 24 seconds left in the game.

Comment

I say choice 6.... He has stones the size of watermelons
            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

None of the above.
              Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
              sigpic

Comment

who voted for shannahan having to get home to wifey?
                disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosRockdaRockies View Post
                  i say option 5 STICK IT TO THE MAN HAHAHAHAHAHA
                  I agree completely. Had it been any team other than San Diego I think we go for one. The true rivalry in the AFC west has become Denver Vs San Diego.
                  Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

I am going to be straight honest....

The D was sluggish and could not stop anything....

Had San Diego won the toss, they would have rammed it right down our throat and kicked a FG to win the game!

Was it fate? I would like to think so....

But the D is going to need to step it up if we want to be contenders!
                    sigpic

Comment

I think its both no faith in the D and he wanted to give them a chance to win...

And look baby, we came out on TOP!!!

Comment

Denvers D didn't stop the bolts all game. There's no doubt in my mind that if they had won the overtime coin toss, they would have marched down and won the game. I'm sure Shanny knew this...

...so his choice was, coin toss for the win, or coin toss (two point conversion) for the win. I think he was right, his odds of getting a 2pt conversion were better than his odds of his defense stopping San Diego, should they win the coin toss.
                        There goes the franchise...

Comment

I hate this 50/50 odds stuff. A coin flip is 50/50. A two point conversion being 50/50 is like saying every team has a 50/50 chance of winning against any other team. (Would you take those odds and bet on the Raiders??)

If you want to talk odds look at performance. How about how many times did Denver convert on two and a half yd plays vs how many times they didn't. A coach has an advantage after watchig the whole game and judging performance. I would venture to say Denver had an 80% chance of converting based on performance.

I would also have given SD an 80% chance of scoring if they won the toss in a hypothetical overtime.

sigpic
                          \

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
                            although of course a 2 point conversion is never 50-50. probably closer to 33-67 or something. but i agree with you about the defense though, san diego was wearing our defense out and had all the momentum. even with only 24 seconds left they still managed to cover a good portion of the field while we just scored our first points of the half.
                            No, I disagree with that. I think a 2 point conversion is more like 45/55. In my opinion its better than overtime because in overtime your chances of winning the coin toss is 50/50. BUT if you lose the toss then you have like a 20/80 chance of winning.
                            sigpic

Comment

I say Shanny was just being smart and a great coach.

It was clear our D was lets say less than stellar.
                              Our O was winning the game for us and had their D on their heals.
                              If we lost the coin flip I would have put my money on the chargers to win based on the D not stopping anything until they were in the red zone and then a field goal would have sealed it.

As a side note I Heard on ESPN XM that the plan was to go for two as soon as the O came on the field for our last drive. Cutler stepped into the huddle and said hear is the plan...score a td and then go for two.
                              BRONCOS RULE !!

Comment

Working...
                              X