backup qb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup qb

Hi, i read another thread, and to be honest I think Denver has one of the worst backup QB situations in the NFL. If Plummer doesn't get injured then it really won't matter. Remember this is the same Jake Plummer who before took EVERY snap one season for the lowly Cardinals. That is hard to do with any team. Especially a team with lower talented players around him.

Denver has always usually had good backups. Griese of course behind Elway and we all remember (those who are old enough which is most) that it was always good to have Kubiak just in case. Do you remember that almost comeback in the AFC Championship when down 10-0 he drove the Broncos down the field for a TD and after the recovered onside kick RB Sammy Smith FUMBLED!! argh and the Bills beat us 10-7.

Jake Plummer reminds me a lot of John Elway, obviously no where near as talented, but still a really good QB and one who loves the Shanny system and the 91.7 QB rating (i think it was that), is the talent Plummer pocesses.

Because of other weaknesses, like DL this season i'm not worried. If Plummer goes down for a long period of time, lets hope for a miracle.

But, right now i think they are in great shape as a hole and i would rather have a pro bowl caliber QB with questoins behind him than a situation where you have 2 or 3 good ones like they have in Tampa Bay. Which of course is tough on the old salary cap.

I was hoping that Brees or Couch or someone would have jumped ships this offseason, but what can you do.

I agree totally the QB situation is not that great at the moment as none of these guys instill much confidence should Plummer go down. If the O-line doesn't step it up and play better we might get to see how the QB depth is.

It would have been nice to see them go out and sign a proven QB to be the back up. There were lots available. Kerry Collins, Kurt Warner, Vinny Testiverde and I think even Kordell Stewart was available. These guys are probably not going lead you to the superbowl but should you need him for acouple of games during the season it would sure make a difference.

Don't forget in when Elway went down we had Bubby Brister step in and get some wins that helped lead to a superbowl. But without him stepping in they don't get to that game. Right now I don't see anything on the roster to impress me.

Comment

Jake needs to stay healthy. Kannell has learned alot from last season and is solid enough to step in and finish games. He's no Kubiac, or even Brister, but there's not many qb's in the league today who can step in over the course of a few games and deliver like the starters do.

Comment

What about Rod Smith? Didn't he used to be in there somewhere as an "emergency", "last-resort" backup QB?

Comment

I guess when your thin at receiver and you already have 5 quarterbacks on he roster, you don't get to take that many snaps.

Comment

I bet Mauck will be the #2 QB, or maybe Quinn. Quinn showed mobility against the Redskins and threw a couple of nice passes. Kanell isn't a good #2 QB, and Van Pelt is surely not good enough.
            "I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl whod get really mad if she heard me say that."
            "I think a rotisserie is like a really morbid ferris wheel for chickens."
            "I chewed a piece of Care-free gum, but afterwords i was still worried."

- Mitch Hedberg, 1967-2005

- I adopted CECIL SAPP

Comment

I wonder if we'll even see much of Van Pelt. I liked what I saw from Quinn as well. If anyone will surpass Kannell as the back-up, Quinn is the guy. I think Mauck lacks the NFL experience to be a #2 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs_323
                I bet Mauck will be the #2 QB, or maybe Quinn. Quinn showed mobility against the Redskins and threw a couple of nice passes. Kanell isn't a good #2 QB, and Van Pelt is surely not good enough.
                Quinn looked really good. Mauck took a couple steps back in that game in my opinion. I would bet Quinn is going to get more snaps in the next few games.
                Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Given that Kannell and Quinn are both veteran players, do you think they will both make the final roster? Or will Shanny want to keep only one of them and bring one of the younger guys (Mauck) along as a 3rd qb? Is it wirth keeping (2) 7th year players and taking up a spot on the practice squad with a 4th qb?

Comment

The bottom line still is that we have crappy backup QBs. I think that if we do the trade with the Dolphins (see my thread - TRADE ) that we should try to get on of their two QBs (Fiedler/Feeley).
                    "I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl whod get really mad if she heard me say that."

- I adopted CECIL SAPP

Comment

A. J. Feeley is garbage. The only positive of having him on the team is that Heather Mitts might move to Denver with him.

Comment

First off, in seven seasons, Plummer has been healthy for over 90% of the time. So for perspective, I give 50/50 odds we never see a backup except in a mopping up role.

I'd say let Quinn and Kanell play the next pre-season game for the veteran back-up slot. They didn't see much time, but if Quinn can repeat his performance, I think Kanell is gone.

I think Mauck did fine and could be a good NFL quarterback. I recall Portis's fumble-itis and Jake's ints in their first pre-season games with the Broncos. Mauck looked like he had the potential to be #2.

All that said, I agree that the Broncos are in trouble if Jake goes down for more than a game or so. I'd love to have a vet with recent starting experience like Drew Brees. Unfortunately it doesn't look like any will be cut like I once expected.

From the FIRST pre-season game, i'd say it currently stands as #2 Quinn and #3 Mauck with one QB leftover on the practice squad.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                          Quinn looked really good. Mauck took a couple steps back in that game in my opinion. I would bet Quinn is going to get more snaps in the next few games.
                          my thoughts exactly.
                          sigpic
                          go broncos
                          share the sidewalk
                          liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Don't be surprised if it goes Plummer/Kannell/Quinn

with one of our remaining QBs on the practice squad. Mauck wasn't that impressive last night, and he wasn't exactly going against the Redskins cream of the crop. Both Ints he had locked onto his receiver for too long, hopefully that is something he can change.
                            The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

How many will the team keep?

In the Sporting News, it said the Broncos will likely put Van Pelt on the practice squad. Would they put Mauck and Van Pelt there? That would be weird, but not as weird as keeping 4 QBs active.

- I adopted CECIL SAPP

Comment

Working...
                              X